Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 PM

302 posts, read 303,835 times

Advertisements

I think one of the main reasons for the extremely high rate of divorce and breakups is that women cannot accept that men need their space. There's this silly idea that, if men need time apart from their SO's, then something must be wrong. It's not true.

Men need men time. We need to hang out alone and we need to hang out with other men. In our society that's just such an unpopular notion. Everything has to be mixed gender now. Back in the olden days, back when the divorce rate was almost non-existent, you had clubs just for men, places they could go and hang out, have a cocktail and a smoke. Even in the workplace you had many fewer women. When groups of people got together for a dinner they would eat and then the men would go to their area to hang out and the women had theirs.

And what did this result in? Longer lasting, healthier marriages. And the statistics are there to prove me right.

We need this time apart to decompress and not have a woman up in our business. And the men who have women up in they bidness everyday all day eventually grow to despise them. I've seen it happen many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
I think one of the main reasons for the extremely high rate of divorce and breakups is that women cannot accept that men need their space. There's this silly idea that, if men need time apart from their SO's, then something must be wrong. It's not true.

Men need men time. We need to hang out alone and we need to hang out with other men. In our society that's just such an unpopular notion. Everything has to be mixed gender now. Back in the olden days, back when the divorce rate was almost non-existent, you had clubs just for men, places they could go and hang out, have a cocktail and a smoke. Even in the workplace you had many fewer women. When groups of people got together for a dinner they would eat and then the men would go to their area to hang out and the women had theirs.

And what did this result in? Longer lasting, healthier marriages. And the statistics are there to prove me right.

We need this time apart to decompress and not have a woman up in our business. And the men who have women up in they bidness everyday all day eventually grow to despise them. I've seen it happen many times.
Men need alone time, women need alone time. It's all good.

Most marriages break up due to either money or sex, cheating being a subset of the "sex" category. Next is basic incompatibility and/or falling out of love/boredom.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,679,562 times
Totally agree with this. I mourn for the lost art of male bonding among all males and female bonding among all females.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,647,206 times
Most woman just do not want there guy to be happy spending time alone.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,679,562 times
And may I recommend dating an introverted woman. She will want her space and alone time too.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,900,613 times
Quote:

What women are you talking about? Both genders need their space. If someone has particularly high needs for space, they should make sure they seek out a partner that will accept that.

I don't really see what you are talking about in real life as being true. Especially for couples with kids, men typically are allowed the opportunities for space more than women.

Just like there are clingy women, there are also plenty of clingy guys.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,423,279 times
Life seems to be a struggle between attachment/non-attachment, here today, gone tomorrow.

Relationships are like a dance. You can't have too much of one or the other, because when you do, you lose your own personal integrity.

I've seen couples who are totally inseparable together, which is okay, but anytime people are too attached, too overly dependent, it may work out short-term, but in the long-run it's hard for anyone to survive if they are overly reliant on someone else.

Love in a detached manner is a very hard concept to grasp for some when life has no guarantees!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,075,765 times
Quote:

Could you have told my XH this? Gawd that man was needy. Always needed me to go places with him, always needed company, always needed to talk to me. Would not shut up! Always had to watch tv, never left the house, never went out with friends. Drove me bonkers.

BTW, he was an extrovert that needs to be around people 24/7 (after the divorce, many of our mutual friends said he is needy) and since he wouldn't call up his guy friends, I was his entertainment (shoot me). I'm an introvert and sometimes I just wanted to be alone. He was unemployed for 2 years and I barely got a dozen days alone. Why do you men have to be so clingy? Leave me alone. Can't you see I want to be alone? Can't you leave me to read a book for 15 minutes? Do you have to constantly check in on me. Just let me do my thing.

But you're right. My marriage would have been a much happier place had this man not been so damned needy.

I say all this to make a point, we women need our time away from you too.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,274,272 times
i had guy friends that just got what i call-neutered, steam-rolled by their wives- but you cant just blame the women, he allowed this to happen early on..

im on the fence on this one- i use to know many married guys that would spend the weekend with other guys-watching sports and drinking alot... yes, it was an escape,,,but its also a recipe for disaster - if every weekend.

both genders need their alone time/ time with friends/family.

everything in moderation

Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,743,311 times
More advice:

Never tell a woman what to do or how to do it, unless she asks.
Listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships