Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 942 times

Advertisements

I met this guy on a trip in July. He also lives in the DC area and took quite a liking to me. Since then, he has asked me out many times and is almost too eager. We'll go on a date, then he'll immediately ask me out again the next day. He has a prominent position and gets invited to lots of really amazing parties (literally the swankiest); so, I have a hard time turning him down because the parties would be amazing to go to.

I met a girl on the trip who used to date him. Apparently, he stopped talking to her all of a sudden and she did not know why. I am afraid that his attention will be short-lived and that he will stop talking to me all of a sudden. I've been dumped quite a few times and am almost pessimistic when it comes to dating and men.
There are a couple of other things that sort of tell me to stop seeing him (sometimes he says mean things and seems small if you know what I mean).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,362,460 times
I think this might be more relevant to the Relationships forum, but it seems like you are not really interested in this guy himself, and more so in his social connections.

On the other hand, it also sounds like he is kind of edgy/unpredictable.

I guess both of you could work on improving your attitudes/personalities a fair bit

Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM

720 posts, read 1,556,110 times
What do you ultimately want out of this situation with him? friends w/ benefits? possible boyfriend? just an associate so you can get into exclusive parties?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
You don't have to accept his next-day date offers, you know. You don't have to make yourself hyper-available to him. You can choose to see him only once or twice a week. I'd recommend that, and see how he reacts.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubia885 View Post
I met this guy on a trip in July. He also lives in the DC area and took quite a liking to me. Since then, he has asked me out many times and is almost too eager. We'll go on a date, then he'll immediately ask me out again the next day. He has a prominent position and gets invited to lots of really amazing parties (literally the swankiest); so, I have a hard time turning him down because the parties would be amazing to go to.

I met a girl on the trip who used to date him. Apparently, he stopped talking to her all of a sudden and she did not know why. I am afraid that his attention will be short-lived and that he will stop talking to me all of a sudden. I've been dumped quite a few times and am almost pessimistic when it comes to dating and men.
There are a couple of other things that sort of tell me to stop seeing him (sometimes he says mean things and seems small if you know what I mean).
Sounds like you are a: "What's in it for me" type of gal.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,194,453 times
What do you mean about him saying mean things?

Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 PM

13,668 posts, read 9,744,263 times
Would it not be possible to ask him outright: “Look, we seem to have a mutual interest in each other, and have been seeing each other frequently. But what’s the big picture here? For you, to have a pretty date on your arm, to impress your buddies at fancy social gatherings? For me, to partake of the free-food at said gatherings? Casual sex? Marriage, children and growing old together? Something in between?”

If he reacts to this with shock or derision, then perhaps this would be an excellent cause for breakup. If he has frank and reasonable response, then there’s excellent reason to deepen the relationship.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:50 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,549,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubia885 View Post

oh boy, we have a live one, another "where's this relationship going" in my head girl drama....

just go out with the guy, enjoy yourself, and don't get emotionally invested until you feel more secure, if that ever happens...

Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM

702 posts, read 727,612 times
You said nothing nice about his personality, his looks, or anything specific about him other than he gets in to fancy parties.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM

61,882 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Maybe he is one of those guys who likes to show to parties every time with a new girl...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships