Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:10 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,676 times

Advertisements

why do people lie about there appearance on dating profiles so much?

seriously?
It's not like you're not going to get busted the second you meet.

I actually get why a guy would say he makes a ton of money or says he's single and has no kids if he's just trying to get a piece but why would anyone man or woman try to mislead you regarding they're appearance?
YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET AWAY WITH IT

I can't tell you how many times I've gone out with a girl I met online only to find out that they think average means 40lbs or more overweight.

last night I went out with a girl I had been talking to online for more than a few weeks only to be very disappointed. she didn't even look like the same person. Her online photo's must have been before she put the weight on. I actually thought she was still a pretty girl but the fact that she mislead me completely ruined the date.

how many of you that do the whole online thing have this happen all the time?

girl says she's average but she's huge or guy says he's 5'9" but he ends up being 5'6 or old enough to be you're dad"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
Why don't you meet people in real life instead of dating sites? Then no lies would be necessary, they're standing right in front of you as you develop a relationship.

Novel idea? It works, try it.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times
Because people, for the most part, are judged based solely by their appearance on those sites. Yeah, the written profile counts too, but the bottom line, the deal breaker is the photo. It's unfortunate and especially when some people are photogenic and others are not and look better or worse in real life because of it.

Men lie about their height and income (so they say) and women lie about their weight (so they say). Guess this is pretty reflective of how we are judged IRL.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:27 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Maybe you're meeting the wrong people! I've met over 100 women from various dating sites over the years, and very few have significantly distorted information about their appearance. "Average" can be a little misleading at times, certainly, but if they have any decent photos, you can usually tell what that means to them! lol

Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Why don't you meet people in real life instead of dating sites? Then no lies would be necessary, they're standing right in front of you as you develop a relationship.

Novel idea? It works, try it.

I'm 32 years old and moved across the country for work last year so I don't have much of a social network to meet people at the moment............I don't go out to bars anymore and I don't work with women so online is the best means of dating for me at the moment

Old 05-29-2011, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 8,756 times

Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
why do people lie about there appearance on dating profiles so much?

seriously?
It's not like you're not going to get busted the second you meet.

I actually get why a guy would say he makes a ton of money, says he's younger than he really is or says he has no kids if he's just trying to get a piece but why would anyone man or woman try to mislead you regarding they're appearance?
YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET AWAY WITH IT

I can't tell you how many times I've gone out with a girl I met online only to find out that they think average means 40lbs or more overweight.

last night I went out with a girl I had been talking to online for more than a few weeks only to be very disappointed. she didn't even look like the same person. Her online photo's must have been before she put the weight on. I actually thought she was still a pretty girl but the fact that she mislead me completely ruined the date.
Boy am I glad to find your post. I just texted my sister last night about this very topic, I needed to vent to someone. I just had this very situation happen to me twice in the last month. Man, seriously, you could change your screen name for mine and your post would be the same for me.

Same setup, talked online after exchanging pictures, did the back and forth for a couple of weeks, things seemed nominal in that we could relate to each other and have a normal adult conversation and obviously seemed satisfied enough with each other's looks per the pictures, to entertain meeting in person.

We get to the venue and wham! W.T.F. Pictures were most definitively reflective of either a long time ago and/or a time where the weight was under control. It was disappointing, infuriating and frustrating at the same time. The biggest facepalm moment was when said woman (1st woman) was complaining during the date of having met men online who deceive her with un-representative pictures. I was floored. She's doing the exact same thing and she's either so aloof or entitled to the double standard that men should be copacetic about women's weight control problems, that she's not even aware of the incredible hypocrisy she was perpetuating on me. It was unbelievable.

Second woman was worse. She really had put in the pounds compared to her pictures. Mind you, conversations about recency of pictures and "good faith in advertisement" we had prior to the date, if even in a colloquial fashion. I get there and wow, I literally overlooked her as we're both on the phone asking each other where in the restaurant entryway we were relative to each other. It was only after I looked back at the people actively on their cell phone that I had ALREADY glanced over, that I realized I had overlooked her, while looking for a height-weight proportionate woman. I think she could tell right away I felt deceived, it was the most akward embrace ever. The date was fine, Im a good conversationalist and did my best to entertain her company and be a gentleman. The good night kiss was further evidence the date had been a non-starter. I was upfront with her the next day about not being interested in further romantic contact and she had enough class to not get upset and miffed, and asked if I found her unattractive. I didn't have the heart to stomp on this girl so I gave her the euphemism that "there was no physical spark between us, in spite of having a good time and a good conversation". And that was that.

I'm done with the online thing. It's simply accurate to say that the majority of women are in there because there's something the "top 20%" male pool ALL women consider "good enough" are simply not giving them traction. And this is further proof. The 'skinny ones' on pictures are overweight and the overweight ones who disclose it on their pictures are simply SOL. I'm not even taking into account the sea of skinny "butterfaces" online. Weight is not the only physical discriminator to be sure. Add to that the sausage fest that online dating is, and it becomes quite clear there's really no promising venue online. I'll keep the profile up, but I'm not actively participating anymore, it's a waste of my time.

The iceberg pictures are the worst. Women are great at cropping their weight problems away. If you see a girl's pictures online and it's all cropped head shots, walk away. That's not a coincidence. I used to get crap for putting my torso picture. But guess what, it shows I'm height weight proportionate (it's also my profile pic here) . Women can't say the same, so they ad hominem attack you endlessly.

I'm done with the online thing. Which means I better troll the school zones behind the bushes like a child molester, because in my line of work, it's all sausage baby, only females I come in contact with are spouses of my co-workers, the few times they show up anyways. Sausage at the gym, sausage at the squadron, sausage at the cookout, (don't even drink but..)sausage at the pub/bar/club ..ah eff it I digress. I'm done shotgun dating, dating may be a numbers game, but this is just sniffing through non-starters. My face time is more precious than that.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times
Hindsight, your post is so hilarious I have to confess I am one of the people who did what you hate. But I'll explain it and maybe it'll make sense. I throw out any fat pics of me and only keep the thin ones, so I only had a thin one to post. Granted, I think it was the best thin one, although had I REALLY wanted to go out on a limb I could have chosen the best one from years ago, but I chose one from a couple of years earlier.

Anyway, I signed up on this site on a whim, on a lark, thinking I'd get no takers. I was bored and had never been on a singles site. So you can imagine my surprise when I did get quite a few responders. Anyhoo, I did meet up with one of them. I cannot remember if I told him in advance I'd put on some weight or not. Anyway, there were a few dates and he turned out to be a real psycho. So I obviously made it past the WTF happened here moment and was good enough, but then I think I wasn't over an acceptable size at that point - just not the size in my pic. So it happens. So just because a woman might turn out to be a bit more pleasingly plump upon meeting, guess what, you guys can be even worse nightmares upon knowing. My two cents.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
There are two types of people who misrepresent their looks. The first type are outright liars who hope that when you meet them, you will love their personality so much you won't care. The second type is delusional, they really have a distorted vision of themselves. I've seen this type a lot in men who claim that their body type is "athletic," then you see them in person and they have a huge gut with great biceps. These are also the types who swear they look 10 years younger than what they are (and of course they rarely do).

Personally, I put up very accurate, very recent pictures, and always with couple of clear body shots. Funny thing is, whenever I've met men from online, one of the first things they always say is, "Wow, you look exactly like your pictures."

Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hindsight, your post is so hilarious I have to confess I am one of the people who did what you hate. But I'll explain it and maybe it'll make sense. I throw out any fat pics of me and only keep the thin ones, so I only had a thin one to post. Granted, I think it was the best thin one, although had I REALLY wanted to go out on a limb I could have chosen the best one from years ago, but I chose one from a couple of years earlier.

Anyway, I signed up on this site on a whim, on a lark, thinking I'd get no takers. I was bored and had never been on a singles site. So you can imagine my surprise when I did get quite a few responders. Anyhoo, I did meet up with one of them. I cannot remember if I told him in advance I'd put on some weight or not. Anyway, there were a few dates and he turned out to be a real psycho. So I obviously made it past the WTF happened here moment and was good enough, but then I think I wasn't over an acceptable size at that point - just not the size in my pic. So it happens. So just because a woman might turn out to be a bit more pleasingly plump upon meeting, guess what, you guys can be even worse nightmares upon knowing. My two cents.
You don't mind the looks of disappointment when men see you are heavier than you are? If you truly are "pleasingly plump" why don't you show what you really look like, so that the types of men who like your type can find you? Some men prefer a bigger gal, they prefer the biggest breasts, rounder hips and such. Why are you hiding from the very men who would find you hot exactly as you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships