Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:07 PM

116 posts, read 137,972 times

Advertisements

My mom apparently thinks I'm afraid of men.

Apparently not having a boyfriend or talking to a guy must mean I'm afraid of them.

They keep bringing up random guys (sons of their friends) and blah blah "we'd be cute together" blah blah.

I feel like I'm way too young for the when are you gonna find someone talk, I'm only 21. None of my friends are married. Well, they have live in baby daddies/eternal boyfriends. That's the new marriage in this generation(teen moms and such) Forever a mother/girlfriend, rarely a wife.

I just don't know what to tell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 04:11 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
How about telling them you are not afraid of men, and you don't feel like dating?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-09-2015, 04:17 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Socialite View Post
Tell them THIS:

Quote:
I feel like I'm way too young for the when are you gonna find someone talk, I'm only 21. None of my friends are married. Well, they have live in baby daddies/eternal boyfriends. That's the new marriage in this generation(teen moms and such) Forever a mother/girlfriend, rarely a wife.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times
Just say no.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:23 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,228 times
The most important thing to remember is what matters is what you think. Getting married is too important a decision to let others influence you. Parents included. They need to back off and butt out. I'd be tempted to say that you are considering becoming a nun and I would do it with an innocent look and subtle smile.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:48 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,939 times
Lol, try being 24 and never having a girlfriend.

My Mother has thought in the past that I might be gay, but I have assured her and myself that I'm not.

It's like she can't grasp the fact that I do like women, but not wanting to be in a relationship at this time for my own personal reasons.

At least it's only her. My Brother and Father pretty much stay out of my relationship life.

At the end of the day, it's their problem. Your parents can't force you to be with someone, or try to change your mind from being single if that's what you want.

Me thinks it mostly has to do with one or more parents wanting grandchildren.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:04 PM

116 posts, read 137,972 times
I don't even think my parents understand a lot of guys my age aren't interested in marriage. They don't get that us super filtered instagram/facebook socialates aren't into long turn commitment.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times
I believe this is whats known as a "rich person problem" no offence to rich ppl.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:12 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,189,703 times
Well, many people will be that way. If you're in your teens and 20s, many expect you to be dating someone seriously, or at least sleeping around. And when it seems you aren't doing either, people raise an eyebrow and wonder "Why?"

Being single, for some means "Something must be wrong with them, since nobody wants them."

Best to ignore it. Long as it doesn't bother you personally, let them guess and wonder. Parents' rushes are probably because they want grandchildren. Or the more narcissistic thoughts that if their child isn't dating, it looks bad on them in some way.

Then parents don't understand dating nowadays is very different. What was, or worked, for them, is a rarity now. Like according to older people in my life, a girl should never ask out a guy, because it's desperate. 1 older man, who's been married to his wife for years now, stating when he was dating, he didn't like aggressive women-saying if he wanted to ask them out, he'd go to them.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:13 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
My mom apparently thinks I'm afraid of men.

Apparently not having a boyfriend or talking to a guy must mean I'm afraid of them.

They keep bringing up random guys (sons of their friends) and blah blah "we'd be cute together" blah blah.

jYes, you're way too young for that kind of thing. And how do they know you don't talk to guys? How would they have any idea what your day is like, or your weekends? It sounds like you live at home? But still, they wouldn't have any idea who you talk to during the day. And you're not alone, OP. Your mom watches too much TV, lol! Real life isn't like TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships