Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,209,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
ESL or not, doesn't deligitimize her question.
Agreed, I just wanted to mention it was brought up earlier by another poster, who questioned her intelligence because of her grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 AM

809 posts, read 1,268,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I was wondering how often do these relationships take place? I often hear about a man with a career or some higher education knowledge while the woman never went to college (this is my parents' case; my father studied for 2 years and then quitted but he knows some business administration concepts and is the landlord of another house consisting of 6 apartments while my mother is an SAHM and is keeps learning new things from us; if I asked her about the conflict with Syria she's clueless about that too) but how about the opposite?

I'm currently slightly more than half of my major (tourism, culinary arts & business administration) and will be finishing it by 2015. Afterward, I will resume my first former major, which was psychology and finish the 2 remaining years. My situation was very difficult for a while as I couldn't continue college and had to quit for personal reasons but I've been back since 2011. I have interest in still continuing further, traveling and improving in French.

However, my then bf J (now ex bf but we do plan on getting back together; it's a complicated issue that's keeping us apart; something out of our control but won't go into details) never went to college and is still afraid of driving but he is a supervisor at a supermarket. Apparently he is more street-smart (ex: can tell if someone is a fake friend but isn't an intellectual; only knows basic history) while I've always been more on the bookish side and willing to learn more. Also my family is more wealthy than J's while in my parents' case, my mother was poor while my father wasn't.

How often do relationships like these work out? Do they happen too or is it few? Where it's the woman that has a more wealthy family than the man and a higher education level while he is a blue-collar worker? He doesn't mind that I can outsmart him in books and intellectual topics and has even told me on many different occasions that he has never been in a relationship with a career-oriented woman.
So much for a lay chick.

What if your Dad had thought, "Oh this woman is so beneath my status" when he met your mother?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,888,621 times
Affluent white collar professionals seldom intermingle with working class types so it is pretty rare.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 AM

415 posts, read 598,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Affluent white collar professionals seldom intermingle with working class types so it is pretty rare.
You seem to be making the assumption that all white collar professionals are affluent. I know construction workers who make more than college professors.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 AM

348 posts, read 495,791 times
Some people have certain criteria that their SO must meet in order for them to be considered.

Personally, if you have a job and are not living off the government, I don't care what you do as long as its legal. I would date a lawyer, doctor, police officer/fireman, construction worker, sales associate, etx.......

HOLD OFF I'm aware of the difficult job market so if they are living off the government I would like that person to see this as tempory because I do understand that people fall on hard times.

Btw I have a "white collar" job with college degrees. I don't require that in my SO.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:05 AM

208 posts, read 370,281 times
For the women in this thread that say that they would.

Thank you, you are all sweethearts and I love you all.

And YES, we work....not at a desk, but work our arse off.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:58 PM

331 posts, read 543,200 times
I don´t care how you make your money, as long as it´s legal.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,563,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasteslikepurple View Post
I don´t care how you make your money, as long as it´s legal.
Hahaha I agree.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,048,876 times
I think the important thing is for each partner to be able to contribute to the relationship esp during times where one might be out of work or having a need they require some financial help with. No reason the different professions can't have a great relationship. Blue collar with some is viewed as the lower skill set but many blue collar folks make nice income with benefits. But despite money being important, it can often come and go and many live paycheck to paycheck despite solid income due to getting stuff, like sleeping in the street and fighting over iPhones. We are a status and consumer obsessed culture. And believe me you can lose your s**t real quick. All of it. One catastrophic illness, a lost job or a fire can take it away. Best advice is be sensible and humble. Appreciate good people in your life that you got. There ain't that many of em.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 PM

19,223 posts, read 15,085,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I think the important thing is for each partner to be able to contribute to the relationship esp during times where one might be out of work or having a need they require some financial help with. No reason the different professions can't have a great relationship. Blue collar with some is viewed as the lower skill set but many blue collar folks make nice income with benefits. But despite money being important, it can often come and go and many live paycheck to paycheck despite solid income due to getting stuff, like sleeping in the street and fighting over iPhones. We are a status and consumer obsessed culture. And believe me you can lose your s**t real quick. All of it. One catastrophic illness, a lost job or a fire can take it away. Best advice is be sensible and humble. Appreciate good people in your life that you got. There ain't that many of em.
Couldn't agree with you more. Great post, D. Scott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships