U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM

262 posts, read 479,410 times

Advertisements

I rather be something than nothing to a person that I liked.

I mean, it's said the best person to marry is your BEST FRIEND.

Man or woman, it's better to be in the friend zone than in the "creepy weird person" zone.

Besides being in the romantic relationship, the friend zone is the safest place to be.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM

9,787 posts, read 9,146,534 times
People put themselves in the friend zone if they aren't honest about their desires and intentions. They linger there, in their own personal purgatory, hoping that the other person will magically change their feelings toward them and they'll form a romantic relationship.

Being in the "friend zone" is not at all the same as genuinely being someone's friend because you like them and have things in common.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM

10,744 posts, read 9,649,971 times
Good friends are far too precious to marry.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM

25,257 posts, read 33,194,242 times
Contrary to what some of the posters around here are insisting, it is very possible for men and women to have friendships.

If nothing else, having women as friends gives you lots of experience with how to talk to them and how to relate to them. So, there is nothing wrong with having friends of the opposite sex.

If the "friend" is someone you have storing desires for, then the choice is entirely yours. If you like their company, there is no reason to not hang out with them. If it drives you crazy to not have sex with them, then perhaps it is better to stay away from them.

Men who can't control their hormones and can't be in physical proximity to any woman without having sex with her are, as a generalization, pretty creepy.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,494,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post

Man or woman, it's better to be in the friend zone than in the "creepy weird person" zone.

Besides being in the romantic relationship, the friend zone is the safest place to be.
Depends on the circumstances.

If you have feelings for the person, it can be difficult.

I am still friends with a woman that rejected me many years back. All of the feelings are gone so it's OK. She is a solid friend and married.

I fell for another woman a few years ago and she also rejected me, but I couldn't be friends with her. I thought I could, but the thought of her being with another man just killed me. So, I cut contact. The first time I've ever done that with any woman in my life, including women I've dated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
People put themselves in the friend zone if they aren't honest about their desires and intentions. They linger there, in their own personal purgatory, hoping that the other person will magically change their feelings toward them and they'll form a romantic relationship.

Being in the "friend zone" is not at all the same as genuinely being someone's friend because you like them and have things in common.
YOU believe in all that mumbo jumbo?

Judging from your posts, I'm surprised.

If a guy is only interested in a woman's looks, then he has no feelings for her. So, he's not a friend and he doesn't care about her.

If he likes her based on her personality and has feelings for her, than they are friends.

I have rarely heard of a man (grown man) being tortured over any woman he did not like as a person/friend. Nor have I often heard of a grown man being a toadstool for a woman just because she was hot and liked nothing else about her.

I think women make this up to feel less bad about rejecting men. Believe me, if we really like you, we like you for more than your T&A.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:45 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,425,540 times
Yes it is, unless she hooks you up with one of her friends.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 AM

9,128 posts, read 16,205,893 times
Quote:

People in the friend zone don't typically get married. Your spouse is more than a best friend, which is why they are your spouse.

Being a friend with someone, or a best friend is great most of the time. However, if you want more, and they do not, you call it the "friend zone" and it is not so good. I'd say being in the friend zone is a negative based on it's working definition.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:52 AM

2,761 posts, read 4,371,524 times
Quote:

I don't mind it. In fact, I have wound up dating a few women after being friends for quite some time. It doesn't always happen, but the frienship alone is worth it IMO. If they are good enough to crush on, they are good enough to befriend.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM

9,787 posts, read 9,146,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post

YOU believe in all that mumbo jumbo?

Judging from your posts, I'm surprised.

If a guy is only interested in a woman's looks, then he has no feelings for her. So, he's not a friend and he doesn't care about her.

If he likes her based on her personality and has feelings for her, than they are friends.

I have rarely heard of a man (grown man) being tortured over any woman he did not like as a person/friend. Nor have I often heard of a grown man being a toadstool for a woman just because she was hot and liked nothing else about her.

I think women make this up to feel less bad about rejecting men. Believe me, if we really like you, we like you for more than your T&A.
I don't care for the term "friend zone", but that's what people call the place where people end up when they have romantic feelings for someone who doesn't return those feelings. What I really disagree with is someone else putting them in the friend zone, when it's really the person with the unrequited feelings that has put themselves in that position...hanging around someone who doesn't return their feelings, hoping that by pretending to be their friend, when they really have ulterior motives, will make that person see them as desirable and suddenly want a romantic relationship.

But I think this is for a younger age group. I think most mature adults don't carry on like this.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:11 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,494,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
What I really disagree with is someone else putting them in the friend zone, when it's really the person with the unrequited feelings that has put themselves in that position...hanging around someone who doesn't return their feelings, hoping that by pretending to be their friend, when they really have ulterior motives, will make that person see them as desirable and suddenly want a romantic relationship.
If guy likes a woman enough to stick around them, and try and change their mind, then there was some kind of a friendship there in the first place. Yes, they have an subconscious ulterior motive, but that does not mean they are not your friend. They still like you for who you are.

From my own experience, we really do want to just be your friend, but we really can't help it, we still like you.

Of course, I have every kind of countermeasure to employ these days, since I've been rejected every which way.

For a player who sticks around a hot woman pretending to be her friend so he can get in her pants. Yea, that happens. But, they won't be on online forums complaining about being stuck in the 'friendzone' because they won't have any feelings for that woman.

Feel me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships