Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM

113 posts, read 113,413 times

Advertisements

long story short, I struggle severely in dating because of 2 reasons - 1)I hate to approach because I feel like every decent looking girl I see will be taken or not interested in me anyways and 2)When I do approach, my desperation absolutely kills me. I just cannot be my normal, cool, fun, carefree self. I want it to happen soooo badly that I force it way too much. I'm seemingly not capable of removing myself from the outcome. There is nothing wrong with me - I'm a normal dude and I have no problem talking to women on a platonic level. On a romantic level though, I'm an absolute disaster

What causes this? I would think it's related to lack of self esteem but I feel pretty good about myself and especially where I stand with everything I've accomplished by my age. How can I be myself around women and just let it come to me without forcing it so hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 04:21 PM

9 posts, read 10,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony7X View Post
long story short, I struggle severely in dating because of 2 reasons - 1)I hate to approach because I feel like every decent looking girl I see will be taken or not interested in me anyways and 2)When I do approach, my desperation absolutely kills me. I just cannot be my normal, cool, fun, carefree self. I want it to happen soooo badly that I force it way too much. I'm seemingly not capable of removing myself from the outcome. There is nothing wrong with me - I'm a normal dude and I have no problem talking to women on a platonic level. On a romantic level though, I'm an absolute disaster

What causes this? I would think it's related to lack of self esteem but I feel pretty good about myself and especially where I stand with everything I've accomplished by my age. How can I be myself around women and just let it come to me without forcing it so hard?
Perhaps its fear of rejection. May I suggest that you approach every situation as if it were just platonic. I think the best relationships are those where you start off as friends and then it turns into romance. Why expect romance initially? Just be yourself and try not to expect too much. If you are rejected, just take it as a learning experience and move on. Its really not that big a deal. I think you'll find the right person when you actually aren't even looking - it will happen when you least expect it. Enjoy this time in your life. I wish I were young again and dating - the best time of my life!

Old 08-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thogue View Post
Perhaps its fear of rejection. May I suggest that you approach every situation as if it were just platonic. I think the best relationships are those where you start off as friends and then it turns into romance. Why expect romance initially? Just be yourself and try not to expect too much. If you are rejected, just take it as a learning experience and move on. Its really not that big a deal. I think you'll find the right person when you actually aren't even looking - it will happen when you least expect it. Enjoy this time in your life. I wish I were young again and dating - the best time of my life!

but isn't that a way to put yourself in friend zone?

I did that with a female co worker I wanted to date and now we're just friends, she has no interest at all in dating me

Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM

128 posts, read 201,923 times
First thing, dont force it, be yourself,
2nd thing first impression is important, humor kills off the stress, somethin funny to break the ice will make everything easier! if it flows from there it will, if it doesn't flow after first day of meeting it will never flow, just cut it off move on to the next

but you will make it worse, the more you focus on the problem the bigger it will be, just be yourself, dont think about the future,

Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,358,820 times
Quote:
but isn't that a way to put yourself in friend zone?

I did that with a female co worker I wanted to date and now we're just friends, she has no interest at all in dating me
Not necessarily. Some women are just not interested in a person romantically. However, if he is a decent guy and she likes him enough, she will consider him a friend.

That said, it is better to make your intentions known sooner rather than later. Before you know it, she might find herself in a relationship.

Some women will hold on to that hope of being with you if she is attracted.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
We can't diagnose your problem from here without knowing you, seeing you and watching how you act.

It could be a hundred things. Deep down don't you know what the problem is?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
We can't diagnose your problem from here without knowing you, seeing you and watching how you act.

It could be a hundred things. Deep down don't you know what the problem is?

Ive tried to diagnose myself for a while, I have gotten some good theories but im still not 100% sure why I feel this way

Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Ive tried to diagnose myself for a while, I have gotten some good theories but im still not 100% sure why I feel this way
Well, you may never be 100% sure.

Work on the most likely one. If you don't change it, you won't reach your goal.

Think of it this way: You already don't have a girlfriend. So you might as well do what you know has to be done in order to get to know someone.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 PM

70 posts, read 155,474 times
I'm not an advocate for aiming low, but I don't understand why you couldn't build your confidence by practicing with females who aren't quite the level you are initially attracted to. Date a few, and constantly climb the ladder. Don't think of it as dating down, but just practicing your delivery, until you feel comfortable enough to step up to a higher level.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiechase84 View Post
I'm not an advocate for aiming low, but I don't understand why you couldn't build your confidence by practicing with females who aren't quite the level you are initially attracted to. Date a few, and constantly climb the ladder. Don't think of it as dating down, but just practicing your delivery, until you feel comfortable enough to step up to a higher level.
Ive already had some dating experiences with women much less attractive than myself

Now just looking for someone on the same level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships