Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

It isn't the thing. It is what you do with the thing. When one uses stereotypes to prejudge and individual, that is ... not offensive just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you absolutely correct , most gender stereotypes are based on truth , its the liberals who are hell bent on re arranging traditional male - female mannerisms that I hate

these liberals have created a generation of confused young men who are taught from a young age that traditional male charechteristics are at best problematic and in need of fixing and at worst psychotic and dangerous
I think this is one of the funniest posts I've ever read! Thank you!

Old 10-04-2013, 04:16 PM

208 posts, read 372,430 times
Only those who not know dare to speak.

It's pretty simple.....IF they ever met a REAL one before......

Which they clearly haven't.

It's textbook....not our problem they are so incompetent and daft.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:20 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm female and think that most people spend way too much energy finding stuff to get offended by. I think it's realistic to acknowledge that most stereotypes are based on reality.

Too bad if I sound grumpy about this; I must be having my period or something.
hahahhahah. I see what you did there.

i do agree with the first part of this. Kind of. The 'based off. of reality' bit.... If we look hard enough we can find truth or exceptions to anything. So really, everythin is true and everything is false.

I mostly laugh at male stereotypes. But im sure there are a couple that may raise my blood pressure if said from the wrong person.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
For silliness, they can be great! When they bother me is when they limit people, or hurt them. Saying that men aren't allowed to love their kids, or feel afraid for them, stuff like that.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Personally, being a male I find them either funny or close to being true. I never take it personally since half the population is male and is not specifically directed towards me. Even if I strongly disagree with the statement I still get a good chuckle.

Do you find them offensive or just laugh it off? What's your gender?
I am male.

The trouble will all stereotypes is that the feed of a frailty of the human brain called confirmation bias. In a nutshell, confirmation bias is the tendency all people have to interpret new experiences in ways that fit in with what we already believe.

So, when a man gets emotional, we tend to think, "Why is that guy getting so emotional ?" When a woman get emotion all, we ted to think, "Why do women get so emotional?" Our belief that women are more emotional than men causes us to see the woman's emotionalism as gender-related, but not the man's. In fact, we might have no idea why either one of them is emotional at a particular time.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 PM

305 posts, read 376,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Personally, being a male I find them either funny or close to being true. I never take it personally since half the population is male and is not specifically directed towards me. Even if I strongly disagree with the statement I still get a good chuckle.

Do you find them offensive or just laugh it off? What's your gender?
I'm a male. Yes gender stereotypes bother because some women are nuts. If you even look their way they think you "want" them or are up to something. Then some have image problems and can be vindictive about it. If they don't get the reaction they want, they might start isht by telling a male friend or bro or group of guys or even law enforcement that you did something, you did NOT do. Basically, all she has to do accuse you of something and it becomes truth in the minds of people. So, gender stereotypes are not cool. Far as the ones about being dumb or clumsy or dirty etc., not a big deal. None of that stuff is true anyway.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,060 times
I'm with Tracy. Everything she said was correct and she sounded in no way grumpy.

*period... scared... agree with everything... run away... *

Old 10-04-2013, 11:08 PM

22 posts, read 23,736 times
Only the ones that limit people or come into play in a legal situation. I can think of a few but I'm sure you get where I'm going with that.

At the same time some of them really are based in reality and don't really hold anyone back. Its a stereotype that women are self conscious about their looks, and as a guy I'd rather just avoid the whole fiasco and smile & wave. That fits a couple stereotypes there but by doing so I've made everyone's life easier.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
I find them amusing and funny, not offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships