Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

Western society is a long way from gender equality. Men are still expected to have a good job to be desirable. Men are still expected to pursue by most women, and pay for most of the dates. In the vast majority of cases, mothers still get the kids in a divorce. Its still socially acceptable for a woman to say home and let the husband support the family, but if the roles are reversed, he's a dead beat. Like I said, we're a loooong way from gender equality, and a lot of men have figured out that the game is rigged against them, so they are opting out of marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
The traditional male role as “Bread Earner” and the female role as “Stay-home Housewife” which was glorified in the 40s and 50s seem a bit inadequate in the year 2013 IMO, and yet many would choose to conform to this outdated social perception and feel content to play the part gladly. Mind you, I’m not suggestion a role reverse in which men would become stay-home husbands and women bread earners, far from it. However, in the era which many women are fighting for gender equality in work place, etc., would it be socially acceptable if men and women become truly equal partners in everyway contributing equally within the context of personal relationships? I’m just curious.

Both male and female perspectives are welcomed
The trend of families/parents sticking to traditional gender roles has been deteriorating for decades.

That said, I think individual men and women should do what is best for themselves in their own relationships and not make decisions based on what someone else perceives as the right way for "society" in general.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
a minority of incredibly shrill , aggressive , ambitious and well connected ( to the media ) women have sacred the majority of women into viewing home making as a lesser choice

its a wonderfull choice
It's not just women. Read some of the posts by men on this site and you'll see that they look down on SAHM's as well. Honestly, I don't see it as much in real life - but I live in an area where there are a lot of SAHM's - and some SAHD's as well.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
a minority of incredibly shrill , aggressive , ambitious and well connected ( to the media ) women have sacred the majority of women into viewing home making as a lesser choice

its a wonderfull choice
The operative word there is choice. If a woman wants to be a SAHM and it's the right decision for her and her family, no one in the media would be able to scare her into making another choice. For many other women, it's not a wonderful choice and they can do what they want, as well.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 AM

454 posts, read 763,218 times
Older women experienced the despair and defeated attitude of their mothers in the fifties. We saw how they were boxed in by gender roles and couldn't escape; the system was too ingrained in everyone. Housewives were considered dumb. So perfectly brilliant women were reduced to polishing floors and trying to see themselves in their dishes. It became a knee-jerk reaction of the women's movement to avoid housewifery like the plague.

However, things have loosened up enough to where if you are a SAHM, everyone knows it's a choice and you aren't trapped.

I think women still look for a man who makes good money because she knows she may want that support in the event that children come along. The main difference between men and women is- women can have babies and men can't. This changes everything in male female relationships.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 AM

328 posts, read 466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i think the stereotypes are blown all to hell, because since the 70's, most women have expected not just a job, but a carreer

because women give birth, and most are natural nesters and nurterers, they tend to be much more detail oriented, and understand what a "home" is (more so a loving and clean home)
guys have a wide range, while some are control freaks,,, most can be slobs, so the woman would rather do alot of the laundry and cleaning themselves (i know exceptions exist)

say you have family, or friends over, the place is a mess,,,,who gets blamed for that?? will they(the guests) talk about the husband? no, most lays on the woman of the house
if thats a stereotype, then i do think this remains true..
but no woman is destined to be a housewife like they use to be,,
If my guests or even MIL has a beef with my husband's mess they are MORE than welcome to grab the chem caddy, broom and dustpan and get to work. I can probably keep them occupied for hours more once they are done with that...

Last edited by Doomed_Shroom12; 11-25-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Default Does the perpetuation of the traditional gender roles hamper development of gender equality

No, it does not. .. Because even if a woman is ambitious in her career, she will eventually have to stay home or drastically cut back her work hours to spend more time with her children in the early years after they're born. Raising a child properly is a full-time job.

That's how it works in the vast majority of cases.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
The point to equality is having choices. The world is a big place, and there is a lot of room to let everyone have the type of life that works for them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Having choices is great. Deciding not to participate in mockery of marriage for example, due to incredibly biased and draconian laws slanted against men, is a pretty smart choice.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
There should be no such thing as gender roles; the concept is no longer valid. Live life as you see fit, rather than trying to fulfill an expectation. It's your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships