Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:50 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,062,188 times

Advertisements

We're used to the idea that there are beautiful and ugly people and everything in between. More importantly, that these things are universal and there are people who are perfects 10s to pretty much "everyone" as well as people who are ugly beyond debate.

Over the years, though, I've come to find that beauty isn't as universal as we think. A lot of the men and women we just collectively assume everyone or the vast majority thinks is really attractive aren't considered attractive at all by masses, especially in other regions, and this reality seems to be downplayed depending on whether or not it's someone the media wants to be seen as attractive.

Meaning, once someone is put on that pedestal, people and polls that agree they're really hot are pushed to the forefront while all of the people who think they're closer to 6s than 10s are made invisible by claiming that they have bad taste or are jealous even when there are just as many of them as there are in the group that finds these people beautiful. The opinion of those who think they're beautiful is given priority.

Ugliness, however, seems to be a different story. What's considered ugly feature wise does seem to transcend global differences and individual preferences. People are all over the map as far as what's a 10 but seem to be on the same page about what's a 0.

So I've come to believe that once you reach a certain point of attractiveness, how attractive you are beyond that really is entirely subjective - even when you're someone people say is an [insert number] to "everyone" - and it's reflected in the wide range of people considered extremely attractive.

They all look relatively different from one another while people considered ugly seem to be ugly in the same ways. So if you lined up 100 people considered very attractive from all around the world, there's a great chance that someone wouldn't know why all of these people are being grouped together, but if you lined up 100 people considered ugly from all around the world, everyone would instantly think, "This is a group of ugly people".

The question is why do we seem to differ less on what's ugly than we do on what's beautiful - and again, I'm talking about human kind, not you and your friend who have the same taste in men/women? What kind of features do you feel lean more towards universal ugliness? Again, thinking globally, not just according to your social circle. One I think applies is really bad teeth.

Plenty of research has been done on the science and mathematics behind beauty and what shapes and proportions are globally seen as more attractive but the features landing on the more beautiful end seem to have more leeway with how they turn out than the features landing on the uglier end.

Just want to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Do you also find that when you think someone is a knockout that makes you drool from your eyes, it's not uncommon to encounter people who think he/she's just "ok" or closer to average but when you think that someone is a complete ghoul that hurts to look at, you can't ever recall even a single person saying, "No, he/she's cute!"

I don't know if this post made sense so make it make sense if it doesn't lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
We're used to the idea that there are beautiful and ugly people and everything in between. More importantly, that these things are universal and there are people who are perfects 10s to pretty much "everyone" as well as people who are ugly beyond debate.

Over the years, though, I've come to find that beauty isn't as universal as we think. A lot of the men and women we just collectively assume everyone or the vast majority thinks is really attractive aren't considered attractive at all by masses, especially in other regions, and this reality seems to be downplayed depending on whether or not it's someone the media wants to be seen as attractive.

Meaning, once someone is put on that pedestal, people and polls that agree they're really hot are pushed to the forefront while all of the people who think they're closer to 6s than 10s are made invisible by claiming that they have bad taste or are jealous even when there are just as many of them as there are in the group that finds these people beautiful. The opinion of those who think they're beautiful is given priority.

Ugliness, however, seems to be a different story. What's considered ugly feature wise does seem to transcend global differences and individual preferences. People are all over the map as far as what's a 10 but seem to be on the same page about what's a 0.

So I've come to believe that once you reach a certain point of attractiveness, how attractive you are beyond that really is entirely subjective - even when you're someone people say is an [insert number] to "everyone" - and it's reflected in the wide range of people considered extremely attractive.

They all look relatively different from one another while people considered ugly seem to be ugly in the same ways. So if you lined up 100 people considered very attractive from all around the world, there's a great chance that someone wouldn't know why all of these people are being grouped together, but if you lined up 100 people considered ugly from all around the world, everyone would instantly think, "This is a group of ugly people".

The question is why do we seem to differ less on what's ugly than we do on what's beautiful - and again, I'm talking about human kind, not you and your friend who have the same taste in men/women? What kind of features do you feel lean more towards universal ugliness? Again, thinking globally, not just according to your social circle. One I think applies is really bad teeth.

Plenty of research has been done on the science and mathematics behind beauty and what shapes and proportions are globally seen as more attractive but the features landing on the more beautiful end seem to have more leeway with how they turn out than the features landing on the uglier end.

Just want to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Do you find that when you think someone is a knockout that makes you drool from your eyes, it's not uncommon to encounter people who think he/she's closer to average but when you think someone is a complete ghoul that hurts to look at, you can't ever recall even a single person saying, "No, he/she's cute!"

I don't know if this post made sense so make it make sense if it doesn't lol
I think the differences in beauty standards tend to be overstated on both ends of the scale. Yes, people can differ on what they consider beautiful or ugly. But the vast majority of people don't differ all that much. To use the 1 - 10 scale (which I hate; I only use it now because it helps me make my point), while some people might argue about who is an 8 as opposed to a 10, almost nobody is going everyone else's 2 as a 10, or even a 6.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Actions make a person ugly.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Are you going to publish a research paper on this?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:38 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,632 times
there has to be a spectrum of facial appearance, and as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

but i like Raena's point too, and wish we reserved that word for ppl who engage in intentional and hurtful behavior... and haters too.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 PM

543 posts, read 534,497 times
Golden ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's been a lot written about the relation between beauty and the Golden Ratio. Depart from that a lot and you end up with what can be a unanimous decision on ugly.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 AM

330 posts, read 545,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post

There's been a lot written about the relation between beauty and the Golden Ratio. Depart from that a lot and you end up with what can be a unanimous decision on ugly.
According to the golden ratio, Lena Dunham is scientifically better looking than Scarlett Johansson, Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Chastain, and even Jessica Biel.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,961,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post

There are studies on beauty and there are established equations that generally can tell how attractive someone is based of the symmetry of their facial features.
And I believe the golden ratio is a part of that.

There is a documentary on netflicks that discusses attraction and it includes a 5 minute or so explanation of this It was pretty interesting to me. And overall a good watch.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
You want my thoughts?

It may make a good scientific study or thesis project, but is probably way over thinking beauty and attraction for the average person looking for (or maintaining) a relationship.

PS, the number of people I would quanity as "ugly" in general, compared to the whole population, is extremely small.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 AM

410 posts, read 515,471 times
maybe i'll brainwash every person across the world to think that i'm gorgeuos compared to every blonde female across the world. yah that's what i'll do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships