Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

I saw this great story from this month's Vogue about an arranged marriage and "american" love! The author discusses how her parents fell in love, after 30 years of marriage (and her own relationship hangups when looking for love).

Anyway it is a good read and a really cute story. The author talks about how her parents marriage (and pop culture relationships) shaped her own vision of what her own relationships should be like.

The Arranged Marriage That Ended Happily Ever After, 30 Years Later - Vogue

Quote:
“The problem with the Americans is that they get so wrapped up in this who-I-chose business,” my father, a surgeon and regular confidant of the OR nurses, told me when I was thirteen. “They will say, ‘He has changed’ or ‘She isn’t who I married.’ Indians never say that. We have no idea who we married!”

His logic was simple: When you don’t have passionate feelings to glaze over your partner’s flaws in early marriage, you are less likely to be undone by inevitable disappointments later on. True, I’d never seen my parents look dreamily at each other, but I’d also never heard them threaten divorce.

I barely noticed how close my mother was sitting to my father at dinner at our favorite restaurant. They watched me with giddy smiles. Poor parents, I thought. So lonely when I’m not here. Then I saw them playing footsie under the table.

That night, after we’d all gone to sleep, I woke up to the sound of them laughing. “You!” my mother squealed. “No, you!” my father insisted. I’d never heard them speak that way to each other in my life. Were they . . . flirting?
Adi from the Brunswicks I am thinking of you here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Maybe arranged marriage will make a come back in the U.S.!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:33 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
“The problem with the Americans is that they get so wrapped up in this who-I-chose business,” my father, a surgeon and regular confidant of the OR nurses, told me when I was thirteen. “They will say, ‘He has changed’ or ‘She isn’t who I married.’ Indians never say that. We have no idea who we married!”

This is funny. Kinda cool. Would be a great comedy routine. Arranged marriages can work. But they can also bomb. And if the woman is expected to fulfill all the marital duties.....*...... but she knows he's not into her, but she has to do it anyway? Not good. I read an article once about a woman in that situation. Eye opening.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I saw this great story from this month's Vogue about an arranged marriage and "american" love! The author discusses how her parents fell in love, after 30 years of marriage (and her own relationship hangups when looking for love).

Anyway it is a good read and a really cute story. The author talks about how her parents marriage (and pop culture relationships) shaped her own vision of what her own relationships should be like.

The Arranged Marriage That Ended Happily Ever After, 30 Years Later - Vogue

Adi from the Brunswicks I am thinking of you here!
Wow, so true . Thanks for the read.

Reminds me of how mom and dad always fight, but never threaten to break up .

I would love to do things the american way, just because it sounds like a better way to build romantic bonds with women.

Most importantly, I WANT A VOICE IN BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 07-23-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
About a month ago I was watching Mo Rocca's "My Grandma's Ravioli" and there were 2 Indian women on the show. They were the best of friends and almost sisters. They both immigrated from India at young ages with new husbands that they barely knew. Both of them were also married by arranged marriage and have been married for over 40 years and they both had beautiful big families. Mo asked them about arranged marriages and they said something along the lines of, "You have no choice but to love that person for who they are. Love is about giving and not expecting anything in return."

Look for Meena and Mona. If you want to see just about the arranged marriages skip to about 10 minutes.

My Grandmother's Ravioli : Videos : Cooking Channel

Old 07-23-2014, 12:54 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
What Jacob is emphasizing is the romantic aspects of their relationship. That is why Vogue published it, to show that romantic love and arranged marriages are not incompatible. This is perhaps the style of modern, urban upper- and upper middle class relationships in West Asia, including some immigrants from the region in developed countries. It is not necessarily typical.

That is not to say that the typical arranged marriage is full of spousal brutality and subjugated women.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,786 times
My BF is Indian and went through with an arranged marriage, and got a divorce after four years. Many times these things just don't work out. There are positives and negatives to it just like our ways. I just wonder about his ex wife, because he is so easy to get along with and really close to my ideal man (apart from the cultural difference, which is a big issue). When I think about her I just feel that she must have been a very stupid woman. In reality, she was probably pushed into a marriage that she didn't want, and took it out on him in a passive-aggressive way. I'm sorry he had to go through it

Old 07-23-2014, 01:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Vogue isn't exactly known for investigative journalism. This is one side of one marriage.

Also, there's nothing wrong with preferring to marry for love. The length of a marriage is hardly the only indication of its "success".

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
My BF is Indian and went through with an arranged marriage, and got a divorce after four years. Many times these things just don't work out. There are positives and negatives to it just like our ways. I just wonder about his ex wife, because he is so easy to get along with and really close to my ideal man (apart from the cultural difference, which is a big issue). When I think about her I just feel that she must have been a very stupid woman. In reality, she was probably pushed into a marriage that she didn't want, and took it out on him in a passive-aggressive way. I'm sorry he had to go through it
You see, its just certain cultural rules which are the tough wall for me to break through . If Hinduism stated that I was given a voice equal to my parents on forming relationships, then all is fine. I just want my words to be noticed and considered.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
You see, its just certain cultural rules which are the tough wall for me to break through . If Hinduism stated that I was given a voice equal to my parents on forming relationships, then all is fine. I just want my words to be noticed and considered.

If your parents wanted to arrange a marriage and you met the girl but then said "no", would that be ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships