Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 AM

63 posts, read 164,263 times

Advertisements

It's something to be discussed before getting married. It's because of situations like these that I say living together does just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:25 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If one of you is 21 and the other is 26 and you've been together for 4 yrs that means one of you made up their mind at the age of 17 about not wanting kids. Hard to take those kind of people serious.
Is that so? I knew at 15 years of age that I was childfree. I'm 39 now I have never wavered on that opinion.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:28 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Is that so? I knew at 15 years of age that I was childfree. I'm 39 now I have never wavered on that opinion.
And one of my friends was willing to donate her eggs at 22 because she knew she never wanted children. Years later, she's on fertility drugs trying to get pregnant. Some people change their minds - some don't. Unfortunately, there's no way to see the future so you don't know which person is going to change their mind and which one isn't.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:31 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
Funny how in a prior post in a completely different forum I said one thing wouldn't be the cause of a separation if one happened...

Bottom line:
I don't want kids.
My husband does.
If I don't bear children, he wants to "Mutually Separate."

We love each other very much, we're only on 2 years of our marriage, nearly 4 in our relationship as a whole.

Maybe my "biological clock will kick in" one day (that's what people ALL say) but I'm thinking it won't at this point.

We discussed the topic several times, but this past week was the first time he mentioned divorce, it's really weird how it all came about, casually, on a cool night stroll, no anger or harsh words, it was cheery and surreal... I mean when he said it I thought he was joking... but I asked a few times and he confirmed it may have to happen down the road... he wants kids by 30, either when he or I turn 30... so 4-9 years from now about.

I'm probably not going to ever change my mind.
He said it's a deal breaker. It's painful and I don't understand.

Please city-data people, let me know what your thoughts and opinions are.
This is a serious matter and it is a dealbreaker for him. It should be for you too.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The OP and her husband are 21/26. Don’t rush to plan the remainder of your lives! There will be plenty time to force your rift and start anew. For now enjoy what you yet have!
Yeah, I am puzzled as to why the OP's husband is in such a rush to reproduce at 26. The late Tony Randall fathered a couple of children in his 70s. I wonder if there is some outside social pressure affecting the husband pushing the reproduction issue to the forefront at this early stage of the marriage. I'm thinking of religiously conservative in-laws.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

But the OP and her husband are very young. If indeed both are firmly convinced about their respective stances on reproduction, then divorce is inevitable. But is it really so necessary to embark on one’s reproductive quest while still in one’s early 20s? Is it not possible to wait awhile, to talk things through, to enjoy each other’s company for a little while longer, before succumbing to the inevitable? Again I speak from experience. I cherished the moments before my ex-wife left to pursue her reproductive quest; and would have been immensely grateful if she tarried for just a few months longer. She was 37. The OP and her husband are 21/26. Don’t rush to plan the remainder of your lives! There will be plenty time to force your rift and start anew. For now enjoy what you yet have!
Totally agree. My ex-wife had a misunderstanding (not a disagreement) about kids, which led to her leaving and my divorce. Now it probably is too late for me since I'm not even seriously dating someone and I'm 45. But, the real point is you have a good 4-5 years to figure it out (and biologically speaking, much longer). People change a lot in their mid-late 20's, trust me. I do believe you got married way too young. That being said, fight for your marriage.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Totally agree. My ex-wife had a misunderstanding (not a disagreement) about kids, which led to her leaving and my divorce. Now it probably is too late for me since I'm not even seriously dating someone and I'm 45. But, the real point is you have a good 4-5 years to figure it out (and biologically speaking, much longer). People change a lot in their mid-late 20's, trust me. I do believe you got married way too young. That being said, fight for your marriage.
Did your ex wife want kids or not wanted kids?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinciotti.rocky View Post
You cant deprive him of children, put it in gods hands...
And he can't force her to have them. She's put it in the hands of common sense. You know, what god gave her.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
And one of my friends was willing to donate her eggs at 22 because she knew she never wanted children. Years later, she's on fertility drugs trying to get pregnant. Some people change their minds - some don't. Unfortunately, there's no way to see the future so you don't know which person is going to change their mind and which one isn't.
Agreed. I wrote my response to that other poster because their statement came across as if all people who claim not to want children at a young age don't know what they are talking about. Some people are certain about themselves at a young age and others prove not to be over time.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Agreed. I wrote my response to that other poster because their statement came across as if all people who claim not to want children at a young age don't know what they are talking about. Some people are certain about themselves at a young age and others prove not to be over time.
Gotcha.

When I was 14, I thought that I was going to remain a virgin until I got married. It was easy to say that when you've never even made out with a guy! However, when I was 8, I decided that I wanted to be a performer when I grew up - and that's what I did! Only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships