Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:12 PM

51,847 posts, read 52,247,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
"Observations" like that is what gets childfree people upset.

The constant assumption that deep down we want kids and will inevitably all change our minds.
True.

I've known since I was a little kid that I didn't want to be a parent.

I've been feeling that way ever since. Once in a blue moon, I sometimes think "what if..."...

But it goes away just as quick as it came over me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,276,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
True.

I've known since I was a little kid that I didn't want to be a parent.

I've been feeling that way ever since. Once in a blue moon, I sometimes think "what if..."...

But it goes away just as quick as it came over me.
Couple that with being a woman and not wanting marriage or kids.

Assumptions are always, "you will change your mind" or "wtf is wrong with you!?".

Old 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM

892 posts, read 1,487,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
"Observations" like that is what gets childfree people upset.

The constant assumption that deep down we want kids and will inevitably all change our minds.

Well, you're certainly free to assume that people are talking about all childfree people in conversations like this, instead of just the OP's situation, even if you're wrong, lol. Heck, it's entirely possible that the OP really doesn't want kids, and I'm certainly not telling her that's she's wrong NOT to have them. Of course, if you read the entire post, you'd know this already.

Though, I do find it somewhat amusing that this comes pretty close to mimicing the conversation my late wife and I had before she got pregnant, mainly the part about concern over screwing up the kids. Oh, and I can give you something else to make assumptions on too! Her concern largely revolved around her father's position of a church Pastor, and it's effect on her childhood transferring into an effect on our children.

Religious assumptions, GO!

Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
There is testing that can be done for many disorders. We have a friend who's daughter and SIL were tested after she was pregnant (her brother has autism). They found out they both carry the gene for autism and have a 25% chance to have an autistic child. They're going forward with the birth, but will likely stop at one. So, if genetic disorders are the only thing holding you back, you and your husband can get tested to determine your odds.
There is no known "gene for autism," there is no way of predicting autism, there is no genetic prenatal test for autism, autism cannot be diagnosed prior to birth, nor in infancy, and autism is not categorized as a genetic disorder. The above is all blatant misinformation. Neither here not there in terms of the OP, but bears mentioning, all the same.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:21 PM

185 posts, read 458,821 times
I want to thank everyone for posting about this, I never expected it to be so quick. There's a lot for me to think about, and I need to have a good actual sit down with my husband over it... I really don't want to leave him if I find I want kids, I know he'd make a wonderful father, he's not the issue, it's whether I want them or not, and if I'll just end up bitter about it.

Special thanks to mothers for posting too, and people who have gone through divorces over it already.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:22 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,145,602 times
Ugh, I feel for you, OP. I told my ex from our third date that I did not want children. He said he didn't really want any, either. In fact, he was all about zero population growth. Then he didn't really even LIKE kids, enough to the point where when we were out and one was misbehaving in public he'd say, "Thank god we don't have to deal with that." So the point was made time and again that there would be no children.

And there he was, two years into the marriage, dropping hints about wanting kids.

A year later, we were separated, then later divorced. Less than a year after that, he was engaged to a woman he knocked up within two months of meeting her.

If your hub wants kids and you don't, consider it a final act of love and friendship to part ways. That's how my ex and I looked at it. Neither one of us wanted to hold the other back from the lives we wanted.

And not for nothing, but unless a man is in his 40s, or has already had several kids, I don't entirely believe them when they say they don't want children. That goes double for men in their 20s. People change and their values change through their 20s.

The way I see it, if a man knows he absolutely, positively does not want children, he'll get a vasectomy so he never has to worry about it, or worry about someone's birth control "accidentally" failing.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,062,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
I want to thank everyone for posting about this, I never expected it to be so quick. There's a lot for me to think about, and I need to have a good actual sit down with my husband over it... I really don't want to leave him if I find I want kids, I know he'd make a wonderful father, he's not the issue, it's whether I want them or not, and if I'll just end up bitter about it.

Special thanks to mothers for posting too, and people who have gone through divorces over it already.
I'm a mother and it's been the most rewarding experience of my life. But I wanted it - and my husband wanted it. Actually - my husband was ready before I was. Being a mother is also the HARDEST experience of my life. It's really, really tough - and if it's something that you don't even think you want - it's not something that I would say that you should do anyway. I can't imagine going through the 9 months of pregnancy, the pain of childbirth, the sleepless nights, the feelings of anxiety and being overwhelmed - all for something that I didn't want with all my heart.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,956,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I ask again. If the OP left the "window open" so to speak and was indecisive at the onset, then she's not off the hook in my book. Obviously he's drawn the line in the sand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well... then lesson learned is that it isn't a "que sera sera" type of conversation... it needs to be more defined.
I think leaving the window open is the only retional thing to do with this question, especially when people are in their early 20s.

Men, and some women, often feel at that age that they will never want kids. And they often change heir minds as they get older. Planning for people to maybe feel differently down the road is the only thing that makes sense.

This is why doctors generally refuse to do sterilizations for people under 30 or so, unless they already have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
If I became pregnant, I would keep the child, of course.
I'm not sure that is a good idea for you.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,337,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think leaving the window open is the only retional thing to do with this question, especially when people are in their early 20s. Men, and some women, often feel at that age that they will never want kids. And they often change heir minds as they get older. Planning for people to maybe feel differently down the road is the only thing that makes sense.

That's the thing. Many people who are childfree pretty much know that early on. There are few who I know do an about-face. I knew my 20s that I wanted to have children at some point in my life. I knew the relationship I had with my ex would end at some point because he was childfree and I wasn't. I don't hold that against him and if anything, I'm glad that he made his position known beforehand.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 PM

185 posts, read 458,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
My husband, and his parents would want to keep the child, and would love it unconditionally. My in laws already had to deal with another of their children who has two getting an abortion, my parents would disapprove of it, and quite frankly, I'd hate myself if I did it.

I'd rather have an accident child and try than abort it and regret it for the rest of my life. Abortion is not an option for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships