Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times

Advertisements

I think most men throw around the term 'gold-digger' too freely. Most women do not want to stay home all the time just to have sex, watch tv, or play video games. Instead they want to do activities or go out like dinner, movies, vacations, plays, events etc etc etc. Unfortunately these things cost money. And if men don't have the job that pays well enough to do social activities, he probably will call these women gold-diggers.

I do not begrudge women for wanting to date a successful man. If I was a female there's no way i'd settle for a broke, unambitious male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,398,974 times
Do women not go to college and have careers in some of your worlds? Do you all live in one big trailer park in the Bible Belt?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 PM

529 posts, read 701,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
True gold diggers go after rich men... millionaires and billionaires.
See, that's how women rationalize that they're not gold diggers. They say "since I'm not going for a billionaire, then I'm just a normal person." No. If you're going after a lawyer, for example, who often isn't a "millionaire" but makes six-figures, that's gold-digging, for example. Women do it all the time.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 PM

529 posts, read 701,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Most women do not want to stay home all the time just to have sex, watch tv, or play video games. Instead they want to do activities or go out like dinner, movies, vacations, plays, events etc etc etc. Unfortunately these things cost money.
That's our point. That's gold-digging all the way. "I want to do things that cost money, so I'll find me a man with money." That's gold-digging.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
...expressing frustration at women obsessed with money, or are they really expressing envy of men who are more successful than they are?

I ask because a lot of complaints about "gold-digging" are tinged with a subtle suggestion that wealthy men are getting access to women they don't really deserve...
I've been reading this article and found it to be well balanced and non gender bashing.

"Researchers found that in much the way a peacock flashes his feathers to attract a mate, some men use conspicuous spending to attract women: The catch is that the guys doing the big spending to bait women are supposedly only looking for a short-term relationship.

So a guy can grab a woman's attention with shiny, expensive objects? Yes, it seems, but the new study also suggests that he won't try to hold it for long. A woman might choose the guy with a Porsche for a date, but she doesn't necessarily view him as a better marriage partner than a guy driving a Honda Civic.

"People may feel that owning flashy things makes them more attractive as a relationship partner, but in truth, many men might be sending women the wrong message."

You can read the whole article here

Study: Do Women Want Rich Men?

Good read and makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Oh, good lord. You know that's a requirement for receiving welfare, right? You have to be a single parent with a deadbeat other parent. And most of the deadbeats out there are men.

Believe me, if those deadbeat guys could get money without having to be fulltime solo parents, they would be doing it. They just don't want it bad enough to actually do the work of changing diapers and taking screaming toddlers on the bus to get their groceries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
You can be male and qualify for welfare. You have to be a single parent below a certain income level to get on welfare.
That's what I said.

Are you really so illiterate that you did not read past my first sentence?

So, what do you think is the reason that men almost universally choose to be deadbeat dads rather than have full custody and get those enormous welfare checks?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM

348 posts, read 498,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
ahh not really, most guys just want to get laid, lol

I can see if a man was looking for a long-term partner, but as far as dating, 'I believe' its not of immediate importance.
That's right!! You buy me pretty things = I give you lots of sex any way you want. What's wrong with that??

Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Do women not go to college and have careers in some of your worlds? Do you all live in one big trailer park in the Bible Belt?
Word. I don't know one woman who wants a man who makes more than she does.

And yes, that means the ones who make six figures want partners who do the same.

Last edited by NilaJones; 10-07-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 07:20 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Word. I don't know one woman who wants a man who makes more than she does.
You must not live in a big city or in denial.

I wouldn't call most women gold-diggers, but most women like to do things. Things cost money. How many women want a man who can't afford to go out but only stay home, have sex, surf the net, and play video games?

A man's profession/earning potential is certainly a trait most women are attracted to, whether they want to admit it or not.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Hey! Another thread with sweeping generalizations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships