Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM

348 posts, read 498,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've been reading this article and found it to be well balanced and non gender bashing.

"Researchers found that in much the way a peacock flashes his feathers to attract a mate, some men use conspicuous spending to attract women: The catch is that the guys doing the big spending to bait women are supposedly only looking for a short-term relationship.

So a guy can grab a woman's attention with shiny, expensive objects? Yes, it seems, but the new study also suggests that he won't try to hold it for long. A woman might choose the guy with a Porsche for a date, but she doesn't necessarily view him as a better marriage partner than a guy driving a Honda Civic.

"People may feel that owning flashy things makes them more attractive as a relationship partner, but in truth, many men might be sending women the wrong message."

You can read the whole article here

Study: Do Women Want Rich Men?

Good read and makes a lot of sense.
Yeah but we can make the toad look like a prince in our minds if he drives a Porsche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndown View Post
See, that's how women rationalize that they're not gold diggers. They say "since I'm not going for a billionaire, then I'm just a normal person." No. If you're going after a lawyer, for example, who often isn't a "millionaire" but makes six-figures, that's gold-digging, for example. Women do it all the time.
It's not rationalizing anything.

gold dig·ger
nouninformal

noun: gold-digger; plural noun: gold-diggers; noun: golddigger; plural noun: golddiggers; noun: gold digger; plural noun: gold diggers
a person who dates others purely to extract money from them, in particular a woman who strives to marry a wealthy man.

A gold digger is looking to marry solely for money. Some women do it (some men do it too... why do you think those hot young men date Madonna and the like). But most people don't. Belive it or not, most people marry because... OMG they like each other and are in love with each other.

I make as much money as a lawyer in a lot of areas in this country. By your reasoning, any man who dates me is a gold digger if he makes less than I do? Is that so? By your logic, he is... can't possible be any other reason.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow bear View Post
Yeah but we can make the toad look like a prince in our minds if he drives a Porsche.
lol

Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndown View Post
See, that's how women rationalize that they're not gold diggers. They say "since I'm not going for a billionaire, then I'm just a normal person." No. If you're going after a lawyer, for example, who often isn't a "millionaire" but makes six-figures, that's gold-digging, for example. Women do it all the time.
So - a woman who goes after a lawyer is a gold digger? Regardless of how she feels about him?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
My grandad married a gold digger. He got a hot wife younger than his son, and she got her kids college paid for. He loved taking her out and showing her off. I had no problem with it, because she made him happy. He was in his late 60's and she was 34. I do think he got more out of that relationship than she did.

BTW I am not a gold digger and never dated someone for their money. I did only date smart guys, so maybe I am a nerd digger. Hey...I wanted smart kids.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So - a woman who goes after a lawyer is a gold digger? Regardless of how she feels about him?
I believe he means that a woman going after a man who makes 6 figures 'just for the money' fits the bill.

It's all kind of relative though isn't it? Any person who has more feelings for the money than the person (no matter the income) is technically a gold digger. Anyone who 'always complains about gold diggers' (per the OP) needs to find better dates.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
My grandad married a gold digger. He got a hot wife younger than his son, and she got her kids college paid for. He loved taking her out and showing her off. I had no problem with it, because she made him happy. He was in his late 60's and she was 34. I do think he got more out of that relationship than she did.

BTW I am not a gold digger and never dated someone for their money. I did only date smart guys, so maybe I am a nerd digger. Hey...I wanted smart kids.
Good for him. lol

I'd consider her a 'Trophy wife' though.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Word. I don't know one woman who wants a man who makes more than she does.

And yes, that means the ones who make six figures want partners who do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
You must not live in a big city or in denial.

I wouldn't call most women gold-diggers, but most women like to do things. Things cost money. How many women want a man who can't afford to go out but only stay home, have sex, surf the net, and play video games?
I live where women can pay for those things themselves. And I hang out with women who think it's obviously easier to buy their own stuff than to go to and try to get some man to do so.

You, OTOH, seem to live in the historical era when women were not allowed to own money.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:13 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,282 times
Another ridiculous thread. Why will any man in his right mind be jealous of some oaf that is getting attention because of his $$$. SMH. There is nothing there to envy. It is more enjoyable imho when she loves you in spite of your wealth or lack there of. Real love...yeah now thats something to envy if you dont have it or have never experienced it.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
I believe he means that a woman going after a man who makes 6 figures 'just for the money' fits the bill.

It's all kind of relative though isn't it? Any person who has more feelings for the money than the person (no matter the income) is technically a gold digger. Anyone who 'always complains about gold diggers' (per the OP) needs to find better dates.
I agree - but it seems that some guys on here think that almost every woman goes for a man just for his money. True gold diggers are not that common. Do they exist? Of course!!! But they don't make up 75% of the female population!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships