Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this statement?
Yes 33 39.76%
No 31 37.35%
Unsure/It depends 19 22.89%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times

Advertisements

The second part of my series where I take common dating phrases and ask people if they believe it or not. This one is simple do you believe this statement is generally true, yes or no? Do you think it depends on the gender? How attractive the person is?

For me I think it's true for women, generally due to women not having to 'look' for someone, rather choosing among those who are 'looking' for them.

But for a guy, not looking for a partner is a guaranteed way to remain single, celibate and alone for as long as he makes that choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
I think it's true when you are so involved with something else....then *Bam* it happens.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 PM
LW4

124 posts, read 156,784 times
I'd say more like an angel appears from the heavens to save your stupid friends from blowing their own hands off is more in tune with reality.

See my status.....

Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 PM
LW4

124 posts, read 156,784 times
And no I won't post the link to that thread guys.

Don't want to embarrass ya like that again. LMAO

Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,254 times
I was constantly looking, broccoli.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:56 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
I think the real feeling behind that saying is, when you try "too hard" you end up... well, trying too hard. You get stressed, upset, try to put on a fake smile, etc, etc. That kind of radiates out from a person and you come across as fake or too forced. But when you aren't looking and you are just yourself and relaxed, you are more attractive to the opposite sex--and usually to the ones who are attracted to the "real" you.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think the real feeling behind that saying is, when you try "too hard" you end up... well, trying too hard. You get stressed, upset, try to put on a fake smile, etc, etc. That kind of radiates out from a person and you come across as fake or too forced. But when you aren't looking and you are just yourself and relaxed, you are more attractive to the opposite sex--and usually to the ones who are attracted to the "real" you.
That's what I would say as well. It's sort of like trying to open a door with a key while you're freaking out. You're hands are shaking and you keep missing the hole. When you relax and just take your time - it all works out.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,316 times
Also, when you try "too hard", your expectations go up, causing frustration to go up... no good. When you're not looking, relaxed, and not in a state of bitterness or despair, you might surprise yourself with who you end up falling for. The guys I end up falling for usually are nowhere near my Enrique Iglesias checklist.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The second part of my series where I take common dating phrases and ask people if they believe it or not. This one is simple do you believe this statement is generally true, yes or no? Do you think it depends on the gender? How attractive the person is?

For me I think it's true for women, generally due to women not having to 'look' for someone, rather choosing among those who are 'looking' for them.

But for a guy, not looking for a partner is a guaranteed way to remain single, celibate and alone for as long as he makes that choice.
First off, I think a really good looking, relatively successful guy can 'sit back and wait for it' every bit as much as hot to average women. In a different way but still.

I agree. The less physically attractive you are the less you can afford to sit back and wait for things to just develop naturally.

It's not really rocket science. The better looking you are, the more options you have of people who are attracted to you, the more chances you have to find somebody attractive who is compatible.

I've actually known a couple of guys (30s) who have never put in any real effort, and both have to my knowledge never gotten anything.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That's what I would say as well. It's sort of like trying to open a door with a key while you're freaking out. You're hands are shaking and you keep missing the hole. When you relax and just take your time - it all works out.
I never miss any hole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships