Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 PM

495 posts, read 684,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I have a female friend who is also a fun person to be around, very loving and caring but she's a large girl with so many health issues as a result of her weight and she's not doing anything about it. Very poor diet, no exercise, just stays home most of the time and whines about never having a date. She also doesn't work so she has no life at all. I've told her many times that guys aren't attracted to girls that are unemployed and unhealthy.
Unemployment is not really a dealbreaker for women trying to get a man, especially if she is not obese. I personally have known thousands of women throughout my lifetime that did not work and had a husband or boyfriend. Men on the other hand are expected to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM

457 posts, read 604,906 times
I have the opposite issue. An anxiety prone ectomorph who is 5'11" 120 pounds. That said, even if I wasn't anxious, I'm sure I'd still be pretty skinny, but I bet it's taken some of the weight off. It's funny because even though people don't really understand it, in some ways it is much harder to gain weight than lose it. At least the ways to lose weight help you in other areas of your life. If you cut down on amount of food, you don't have to spend as much money, and by working out a lot, you not only lose weight but exercise is good regardless. I've read that ectomorphs need to not exercise a lot, just a lot of heavy lifting exercises to bulk up (which are the least fun to perform as well), I have to eat a ton, which means more money to fork over for food, yet I should still eat healthy (I really try to avoid fast food and rich toppings/condiments). My point, anyway, is it is very difficult to get any decent exercise, eat a normal diet and gain weight. Eating becomes a chore when you know you need to get 3-4K calories a day.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Meaning, because you're fat/obese/overweight,etc...you're not able to get involved in a relationship.

This entire concept is a joke and an excuse not to be in a relationship.

I weighed 225 pounds the day I married my husband 7 years ago and I currently weigh about 150 or so.
He loves ME as I am and he has never once said anything about my weight.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This entire concept is a joke and an excuse not to be in a relationship.

I weighed 225 pounds the day I married my husband 7 years ago and I currently weigh about 150 or so.
He loves ME as I am and he has never once said anything about my weight.
Being significantly overweight for either sex limits a person's options.

No one needs to look like a fitness model on a cover magazine to be in a relationship, but the better shape a person is the more people they can attract whether it's for casual sex or a lasting relationship.

When I was single and weighed 230lbs, I'd definitely say it was a factor. I was visually less appealing to women. Best dating period for me was when I weighed around 180lb, face looked so much better and body was muscular instead of stocky/chunky.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:16 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post

No one needs to look like a fitness model on a cover magazine to be in a relationship, but the better shape a person is the more people they can attract whether it's for casual sex or a lasting relationship.

When I was single and weighed 230lbs, I'd definitely say it was a factor. I was visually less appealing to women. Best dating period for me was when I weighed around 180lb, face looked so much better and body was muscular instead of stocky/chunky.
I second this. I had crummy eating habits and was fat growing up to the point of being morbidly obese. I couldn't get a date in high school to save my life. When I did ask girls out, the look was either a sneer or a look of fear with an excuse as to why they couldn't go out. I went to my senior prom with a good platonic friend.

I tried to join the military and was rejected because of my weight. I really wanted it, so I buckled down and lost enough to just get in under the wire. However, being that close to the weight limit they watched me like a hawk. It was the Air Force and they whipped me into shape. I went from 6 feet and 275 lbs originally down to 185 lbs after a couple of years.

That made a huge difference. I started getting attention from women (definitely not used to that) and ended up married to a wonderful woman I met while I was in the military. I gained some back after I got out, but then lost it again. My wife was on me to lose weight when I did gain, but for the sake of my health rather than just having a slim husband.

The weight made a difference as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post

I completely disagree, I know first hand that the physical attributes one has does not give them an edge when it comes to getting attention, dating, getting married or just having someone around for sex only.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I completely disagree, I know first hand that the physical attributes one has does not give them an edge when it comes to getting attention, dating, getting married or just having someone around for sex only.
Right. Women can sniff out "loser" in any body type.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Meaning, because you're fat/obese/overweight,etc...you're not able to get involved in a relationship.
I'm married but I was chunky before we met (5'6" 180). Now I am decidedly overweight (260) but it doesn't slow us down. He is also overweight.

I do notice I don't get as many appreciative looks when I go out, but it doesn't bother me. I guess if I was single it might, except that I make friends everywhere I go no matter my size, because I have a good sense of humor and can laugh at myself.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
I have a friend who is overweight and just today she told me that guys don't care about weight and never bring it up to women. That is her experience and perception.

Now that I think about it, before I started reading relationship forums, I never heard guys say anything about women's weight either.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I have a friend who is overweight and just today she told me that guys don't care about weight and never bring it up to women. That is her experience and perception.

Now that I think about it, before I started reading relationship forums, I never heard guys say anything about women's weight either.
Most people have enough class to keep their opinions to themselves about such things even if they think it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships