Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times

Advertisements

OK,

So I'm just inhaling some dinner and watching from the middle of this show, 2 Broke Girls, which I've never seen but keep hearing is the #1 show in America during NFL football games.

Apparently four guys sit down at a booth at the diner where these two women work as waitresses. Both are white. The four guys are a black guy, an Asian guy, and two white guys. All four men are dressed well, are young and normal looking.

The blonde waitress freaks out when she sees the guys and runs into the pantry where the brunette follows to help her. Apparently, one of the guys is the blonde's ex and it was a bad breakup. The brunette agrees to go outside and get rid of the guys.

So, the brunette says to the blonde, "Which guy was it? The black guy or the Asian guy? Oooh, just joking."

WTF. Is that racist or what? Like a white woman dating a black or Asian guy in the year 2011 (in NYC no less, where the show takes place) is so abnormal in America it's the butt of a joke on the #1 show in America?

Does anybody else think that's racist?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Ok. First of all - we hate that show but we just leave the TV on that channel after the previous shows we end up seeing it sometimes. The joke wasn't that a white girl won't date a black or Asian guy - the joke was that this particular white girl wouldn't because she was a trust fund baby, totally sheltered, and a major snob. The joke was that SHE wouldn't date outside her race - not that all white people won't.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
I don't like the show at all (I think it's crude and disgusting), but my husband watches it and the theme is that blondie is this sheltered little former-rich girl who has never experienced anything outside of her blonde prada gucci tiffany world. The idea that the character has dated anyone outside of her race is a long shot.

Not saying that makes it funny or appropriate or whatever, but with that background the "joke" makes slightly more sense.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
I think you're placing too much weight on how important interracial dating is to white women.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think you're placing too much weight on how important interracial dating is to white women.

What you said.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Ok. First of all - we hate that show but we just leave the TV on that channel after the previous shows we end up seeing it sometimes. The joke wasn't that a white girl won't date a black or Asian guy - the joke was that this particular white girl wouldn't because she was a trust fund baby, totally sheltered, and a major snob. The joke was that SHE wouldn't date outside her race - not that all white people won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't like the show at all (I think it's crude and disgusting), but my husband watches it and the theme is that blondie is this sheltered little former-rich girl who has never experienced anything outside of her blonde prada gucci tiffany world. The idea that the character has dated anyone outside of her race is a long shot.

Not saying that makes it funny or appropriate or whatever, but with that background the "joke" makes slightly more sense.
Ohhhh. OK. In that context, the joke is actually OK. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
?????

Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
lol

Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

Yeah that's probably it. You see plenty of black guys with white women on TV.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
dude, stop worrying about crap like that.

You'll die from stress before you hit 40.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:17 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah that's probably it. You see plenty of black guys with white women on TV.
Actually, there's a new show called "I Hate my Teenage Daughter" (or something like that) which features a white woman with a black ex-husband & biracial daughter... show isn't the best, but I was pleased to see an inter-racial family featured on a prime-time sitcom. As a woman who's mostly dated outside her race, I like to see ALL types of families represented on television.

That being said, I think the joke was explained above - and it was definitely not "racist" in that context. I kinda like that show, but apparently I'm alone in my opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships