Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 04:39 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,606,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Dating is and can be quite difficult. As we grow older, our priorities change, and what we want and desire out of another human being has likely changed as well.
I don't care.

LOL

Old 10-01-2018, 04:48 PM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
Easy for women to say when they don't have to do it.

I'm a guy.

Courage is the foundation of all happiness. If you lack it, you won't make the leaps of faith it takes to get what you need and want in life.

I don't have much sympathy for people who sit on their ass and wait for life to happen to them. Or nurse convoluted theories on why they aren't getting their hearts' desire. Want it? Go get it. At least, that way, you gave it a shot.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:17 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Lazarus thread, I realize. But....

1. Yes, there are some men who will spend life alone. It's not because they are meant to be that way, but because they keep making dumb decisions that doom them to be that way. They are on the Relationship board by the boxcar. They keep offering up these dumb manifestos on What Women Want or What I Expect A Woman To Be and then are constantly baffled as to why they can't keep one happy. They keep marching ahead, committing the same manifestly stupid actions over and over again, but refuse to change so much as a millimeter.

2. If you are too timid to ask a woman out, then that's all on you. Women of all varieties dislike lack of confidence in a man. That doesn't mean you have to swagger. But it does mean that you actually have to have the basic testicles to talk to a woman and invite her to dinner.

3. You got a vasectomy? Hate to break it to you, but the large majority of women want to have kids at some point.

So, yeah, the OP might very well be one of those guys. But the use of the word 'meant' suggested a deterministic universe designed to make you lonely, when in truth you're the one choosing to be lonely with your passiveness and fear.

Yeah, but plenty of (smarter) guys are glad to have those gals out of their dating pool. The idea of reluctantly having kids with some gal because she wants them, but you don't really - is far more pathetic than any MGTOW meme. It's more expensive as well.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Another woman, she's divorced, but she's just butt heads with her ex all her life, even now, and is enjoying the freedom of her own space and gal pals.

I know woman in my small town that her and her other lady friends, all very attractive, intelligent women, that have pretty much taken a vow to never date again. (Not really a "vow", but might as well be).

Basically, men are still pursuant of women usually no matter what age, while women are starting to be content with their friends, family, kids, and other hobbies.
That's not true at all. I have a few male friends exactly like that woman you described. Men who have decided women just aren't worth the hassle, and they play with their hobbies and hang with their buddies.

You keep making false assumptions about people, particularly false gender assumptions.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:26 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
As someone would like to get married again someday, it's not exactly like that. From what I can tell many men in this age have "closed up shop" too, at least for marriage. They cite a plethora of reasons (none of which I care about).
I think men that age (40s, 50s) have given up on children and thus lost most of their interest in getting married. Some want to continue dating, some have decided it's too much of a hassle.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:01 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think men that age (40s, 50s) have given up on children and thus lost most of their interest in getting married. Some want to continue dating, some have decided it's too much of a hassle.

Yeah, I think the practical values of marriage are mostly children if you want them and are young enough, and then end of life issues.

People who did have children, married a while, then divorce, probably won't be interested in marriage later in life, not wanting to screw up inheritance issues. Or maybe they consider the end of life - having a partner who can sign for them when they can't - to be worth it.

Keep in mind that (I don't have data, just from my own observations) generally the man in a couple is first to die.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:28 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,437,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, but plenty of (smarter) guys are glad to have those gals out of their dating pool. The idea of reluctantly having kids with some gal because she wants them, but you don't really - is far more pathetic than any MGTOW meme. It's more expensive as well.
Yes, and this was one of the best things about OLD. I could easily filter out those who wanted kids or had young kids. Before OLD, there were times where I'd go on several dates and hit it off only to discover she wanted two or three kids, which was obviously very frustrating. I learned quickly to divulge that I didn't want kids on the first date. With OLD, it has been MUCH easier, like night and day.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:46 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,102,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Keep in mind that (I don't have data, just from my own observations) generally the man in a couple is first to die.
Any escape is a good one.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,023,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Yes, and this was one of the best things about OLD. I could easily filter out those who wanted kids or had young kids. Before OLD, there were times where I'd go on several dates and hit it off only to discover she wanted two or three kids, which was obviously very frustrating. I learned quickly to divulge that I didn't want kids on the first date. With OLD, it has been MUCH easier, like night and day.
Yeah, I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, as I've been meeting women over 40, who never had kids that want kids. I'm over 40 and I don't want them, and the last woman I dated that was 40, said the reason her and her last boyfriend (he was mid-40s, like me, didn't want kids) and they dated for like 5 years.

I just don't know the appeal of being an elderly parent. I mean, why be in your 50s when little Jimmy is 12 years old, and the rest of the parents at your kids school are in their 20s or at the most, 30s.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,437,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, as I've been meeting women over 40, who never had kids that want kids. I'm over 40 and I don't want them, and the last woman I dated that was 40, said the reason her and her last boyfriend (he was mid-40s, like me, didn't want kids) and they dated for like 5 years.

I just don't know the appeal of being an elderly parent. I mean, why be in your 50s when little Jimmy is 12 years old, and the rest of the parents at your kids school are in their 20s or at the most, 30s.
Ha, yes having kids never appealed to me in my twenties and thirties, and definitely not now (I'll be 52 in a week). I do know some guys who are around my age with kids in grade school. They'll likely be working for another 15 years or so before they can retire. Me? Four more years!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.