Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:50 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,247 times

Advertisements

Where did you go to school before that dating was much easier for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 03:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,127 times
Absolutely. In my (tiny) hometown, I knew everyone within a few years of my age, and none of them were of interest to me. Now that I live in a larger population center, I have had no trouble finding plenty of people I am into and who are into me.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM

469 posts, read 567,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
I live in the Midwest and I'm a college student. It seems as if every woman is taken here, and the women aren't very nice at all. Have you ever had this problem before?
I live in a town that's referred to "little Camden" or "Ghettosville" but i live in the nice part with next to no crime. Whenever i'm asked where i live, i tell them i live there and get "The face" and then the questions start and interest starts to fade.... Speaking of Camden, it's only 20 minutes away from me...

Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM

322 posts, read 504,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Where did you go to school before that dating was much easier for you?
Eastern Illinois University

Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Well, i'll say this much, where I live, I don't get to have a dating life, and there's too few singles here, but i'd say the majority of those singles have at one time rejected me, and probably harshly too.

I haven't even thought of approaching a woman in more than 2 years. I don't even know if I remember how.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 PM

322 posts, read 504,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Well, i'll say this much, where I live, I don't get to have a dating life, and there's too few singles here, but i'd say the majority of those singles have at one time rejected me, and probably harshly too.

I haven't even thought of approaching a woman in more than 2 years. I don't even know if I remember how.
Same here, It's been 5 years since I even dated a woman.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
I'd say that the city you live in does have an effect on your dating life...

Old 10-15-2013, 04:29 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
I think it has. I live in a city where single women greatly outnumber single men. So when I tried OLD, the men tended to be pretty picky--they could afford to be. Mostly they went for a lot younger from what I could tell (at least, it was mainly much older men contacting me... except for a few 20-somethings who seemed interested in a hook-up, which isn't my cup of tea). It's one of the reason I prefer not to be online--or at least to not rely much on it. But I think it's even hard for he men here from what I understand. I don't really want to give away where I live, so I will remove the city from the quote below:

Quote:

...this would, very generously, leave about 90,000 college graduates between 21 and 40 in the City. This City attracts more women than men, however, so only about 47 percent of these people are male, which leaves about 42,000 people for a young, childless, heterosexual, single college woman to date. A fair number people will prefer to date someone of the same ethnic/racial background and more will consider religion an absolute deal-breaker. Age also matters: few 22-year olds will date 39-year-olds. Many people who are single and live alone, furthermore, are dating someone seriously at any given time -- about half, according to most surveys.

This results in dating pools that aren't enormous. A single, heterosexual, 27-year-old white man with a bachelor's degree who wants to date a single, white, college-educated woman between 25 and 29 would actually have only about 7,000 choices in City -- about the same number he would find on the campus of a big public university in a flyover state. If he has some other preferences (say, he's average height for a man and prefers to date someone shorter) or considers religious/political compatibility a must, the list would grow shorter still. And this is a pretty easy case. For example, there are likely fewer than 800 single, straight, Asian, college educated men between 25 and 29 who live in the City.

I don't think it's any co-incidence that I am dating someone in another state with odds like that. And racial/ethnic background and religion aren't a deal breaker for me (it really depends).

Old 10-15-2013, 05:13 PM

769 posts, read 977,166 times
The city that I live in the women far outnumber the men. The men will go for the 20-somethings over someone close to their own age. I just am focusing on my education, training the horse, and myself. If a guy comes into my life..great if not...oh well.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
Eastern Illinois University
Is it a commuter school?? Those are horrible, generally, for social lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships