Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM

529 posts, read 702,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Because I didn't actually say it. It was an example.

Same as "do I look fat in this"?
But you're asking him that. He didn't ask you if she looked like a **** in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Because I didn't actually say it. It was an example.

Same as "do I look fat in this"?

Right but, you obviously had to use an example of something similar to what you'd say.. and we're saying anything along these lines is unnecessary.

It appears that you, being the brutally honest person that you are can't handle criticism ..

Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
He never even asked me that question.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
He never even asked me that question.

I don't think you're quite comprehending what people are saying to you

Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM

529 posts, read 702,259 times
By the way, if women really cared about the color white, then almost none of you should be wearing white to your weddings. So I never get how women are like "no, I can wear white because I'm 25, but she can't because she's divorced." Uh ...who cares, since you've been getting nailed, too?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't think you're quite comprehending what people are saying to you
I get what people are saying. There is a way to respond tactfully and truthfully in situations where you might tell a white lie. Got it. I think it's probably best for me to avoid or not answer questions where my answer may come off as rude.
I know I lack a filter.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Today my bf and I were talking about something and I gave him my honest opinion (as I always do). He proceeded to tell me that a little white lie about some things occasionally, wouldn't kill me.

What does everyone think about being too truthful all the time in a relationship??

Is there room for the occasional white lie to keep everyone happy?
The trouble is coming to some agreement about what a "white lie" might be.

There are plenty of people who think cheating on their spouse and hiding that information is a "white lie."

After all, "it meant nothing."

Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
The reality is, there are people who feel that by NOT saying everything that's on their mind, they are being dishonest. I don't necessarily agree. Every thought in my head, uncharitable or not, doesn't always need to be shared...sometimes, it serves no purpose to share, particularly if it is uncharitable, and keeping it to myself is really going to be of no consequence, and certainly won't harm me any to do so.

To use the hypothetical example...to be really straightforward, who really CARES if you hypothetically think his hypothetical mom should or shouldn't hypothetically wear a hypothetically white wedding dress? Is it necessary to share your opinion on something that, ultimately, nobody really cares about your opinion on, particularly if it's something in the past. Is it necessary to comment on something in a way that will only serve to hurt someone's feelings? What is served by speaking your mind on the topic?

Not blurting out every unnecessary negative comment in your head doesn't make you dishonest, it makes you considerate and respectful. It's usually best to ask yourself what purpose is served by speaking your mind, and what are the repercussions, if any, of not doing so. Worth it to speak out, at the risk of hurting others, especially if it won't hurt you in the slightest to keep your mouth shut? Probably not. It's just a matter of respect and consideration. Critiques of others are not always necessary.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:15 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
A lie is sweet in the beginning, bitter in the end, truth is bitter in the beginning, sweet in the end.

So! Someone needs to brush up on their lying skills!

I'm lucky, I'm an extremely intuitive person, where there's absolutely no need for someone to be honest with me, as there's other telltale signs that will bring out the truth.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There are many people who use the excuse of "being brutally honest" are usually just rude.

I don't deal with those types of people.
I don't consider it "rude" when I told my husband years ago that I want the truth no matter how "brutally honest" it is.
I'm a big girl and wear my big girl panties everyday and I can actually handle the truth. It may hurt to hear it but it is better than a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships