Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upndown View Post
I didn't tell you how your mind works. I told you how other people see you if you act like that. That's two different things.
Maybe that's what you were thinking but your writing certainly doesn't indicate that.

Quote:
No, men are absolutely a-holes, but when people see men act like a-holes, we just call them a-holes. We all know men who are a-holes. Nobody says "there's a strong man," they say "there's an a-hole." It's tough for women to figure out how to be SORT of like men without going too far because they're trying to fit into a man's world in most instances. It would be like if I tried to act like a woman in a woman's world. It would most likely be a parody of how a woman acts based on my misconceptions and they'd be like "what's wrong with that dude?" Mod cut: orphaned post.

Last edited by Mikala43; 10-19-2013 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 PM

529 posts, read 701,946 times
OK, that's your opinion.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:26 PM

38 posts, read 43,114 times
My boyfriend seems to long for the time when someone like him, a successful man with money, could saunter through the village and have all the nubile young ladies presented to him by their fathers in hopes of bettering their situation. So, in a way I agree with upndown. I'm poor and ugly, so I'm screwed either way!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Uh, no. Men would like to marry someone who was hot AND their economic equal, sure. But they will often sacrifice economics for hotness. That's how the world works.
If you know that to be true, please cite your source. I cited mine. If you cannot back up a claim like that, you shouldn't make it...

Old 10-18-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
If you know that to be true, please cite your source.
Sure thing. It's called "life." Look it up.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 PM

60 posts, read 121,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Lots of studies have found this to be true. One of the most interesting is called Promised I Can Keep:Why Poor Women Put Motherhood Before Marriage (Promises I Can Keep: Why Poor Women Put Motherhood Before Marriage: Kathryn Edin, Maria Kefalas: 9780520241138: Amazon.com: Books). The authors interviewed hundreds of poor single mothers in three major cities, along with their families, boyfriends, and others. Among the most interesting discoveries they made was that in every community they examined, the best off and most financially stable men and women invariably married each other. No one, male or female, wanted to marry "down."
This requires an answer from me. I think in poorer communities, it's going to rational for people to prefer to maximize their incomes above all else as to make sure their basic needs are met, so in that scenario I'm not surprised that the (relatively) well-off in those communities gravitate towards each other. However, I'm not addressing the peculiar circumstances of the poverty stricken but rather the choices people seem to make once they're economically satiated, as my OP scenario illustrated.

In general, a substantial percentage of women earn significantly more than the average man, yet pairings in which the wife earns more are not as common as they should be (given how much women earn relative to men.)

Last edited by Gurney Halleck; 10-18-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggertoes View Post
I'm poor and ugly, so I'm screwed either way!
Hey, you have a boyfriend, so you can't be that bad off.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
And if she doesn't you know her mom will be bringing it up constantly, either behind your back or to your face.
The whole family will call you a loser behind your back.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggertoes View Post
My boyfriend seems to long for the time when someone like him, a successful man with money, could saunter through the village and have all the nubile young ladies presented to him by their fathers in hopes of bettering their situation. So, in a way I agree with upndown. I'm poor and ugly, so I'm screwed either way!
Don't you have a boyfriend, how are you screwed?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Sure thing. It's called "life." Look it up.
I lived life. How can you claim more knowledge about it than me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships