Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Not necessarily. I've known a few men who complained to me about women. Women this and women that. I just look at them and say, "Consider your audience. Am I that way?"

"Uh, no."

"Then we've both learned something here today, haven't we?" Idjuts.

My SO's uncle went off on an anti-woman screed last time I saw him. "Women are a PITA."

I just looked at my SO, then back to him and said, "I'M not."

"Well, uh, you must be good if he's kept you around this long."

But I think he got the point.

You'd be surprised at how many men have no problem bashing women in a room full of them. The problem is that too many women let them get away with it. I don't.
Ill take your word for it. See I'm not gonna lie many of these topics have come up among male friends/acquaintances etc, but I've never heard them around women.

I'm sure as a woman, you and other women discuss certain things about males that you don't really say to them when they're there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times

Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
We all have.
You and nokiddin have me thinking about the possibilities that I have been missing out on due to faulty perception.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
You've got me thinking about the possibilities that I have been missing due to faulty perception.
Don't worry about what has happened in the past. Learn from it - move on - and make the future better. I did a lot of self sabotaging in certain areas of my life in the past but I haven't let it hinder me.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Don't worry about what has happened in the past. Learn from it - move on - and make the future better. I did a lot of self sabotaging in certain areas of my life in the past but I haven't let it hinder me.
I wasn't thinking about the past. I was thinking of the future.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think for a lot them it is that love / hate dynamic you get when you want something but have been unable to obtain it. Sourgrapes on steroids.

In an effort to feel better they vilify the object of their desire (golddiggers! Liars! Cheats!), and search for a reason why they haven't been successful that isn't their fault (Alpha men taking more than their share!, sexual revolution, women able to punch above their weight!).

Between the two it is a mental salve, not their fault, and they didn't want one anyways.

It seems a lot of people feel cheated that they did not get what they feel entitled to, bitterness like that is never going to come across well. A lot think their attitudes are "secret" but such negativity and ugliness always leaks out in real life (more so on the internet), and further adds to their inability to find a mate.

I think this applies to men AND women who bash the opposite gender, while failing to realize the only common denominator is themselves.
Yes. Entitlement is a huge turn-off.

And is this something that has changed with the current generation? I don't remember ever running into guys, when I was in my teens and 20s, who had this jaw-dropping level of entitlement.

Though I sure do see it with boomer guys now.

Maybe it is just gen X that are weird? We are supposed to be a self-effacing generation, used to being ignored.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yes. Entitlement is a huge turn-off.

And is this something that has changed with the current generation? I don't remember ever running into guys, when I was in my teens and 20s, who had this jaw-dropping level of entitlement.

Though I sure do see it with boomer guys now.

Maybe it is just gen X that are weird? We are supposed to be a self-effacing generation, used to being ignored.
The entitlement is something I've noticed in a few other forums too. I don't notice that mind frame among my nieces and nephews. I can't tell if it generational or something that is more prevalent in the type of personality that is attracted to online forums.

Corrected, I do seem to notice it in two of my husbands children (he does too), and we do our best to counteract it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Entitlement mentality covers much more than just relationships.... and at the risk of going political... I'll leave it alone......

Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
My guess is that there are a lot more of these men than you think. It isn't like they are vocal about their ideas. My guess is that most of them are not young men, but more likely past 40, divorced. They are guys who have never read any internet sites about not marrying, its just they got burned in their marriage, and they have decided never again. So they may date, but marry, NO.

And I do know some men like this. The norm used to be, get married, and if you got divorced, get married again, because that's the way it is and if you're not married, you'll be alone. Now there are a lot more single people, and lots of potential friends for various activities, so its not like if you're not married, you're home alone the rest of your life. So if life looks better doing things with your buddies than trying to keep a woman happy, my guess is that that is the option they're taking.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Republican Civil War Erupts: Business Groups v. Tea Party - Bloomberg
QUOTE=Chowhound;31879689]Entitlement mentality covers much more than just relationships.... and at the risk of going political... I'll leave it alone......[/quote]

Republicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships