Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:44 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,355 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've posted sometimes but not often, let me introduce myself. I'm a french woman, nearly 39, long and short relationships behind me, and in a 6 years commited relationship now. (please forgive me for not using the exact words, but it is in a way the object of my thread)

I've been reading the relationship forum for a very long time and I'm very surprised, always, as how everything between men and women seems very "coded", and thus subject to interpretation and analysing in the USA.

I don't mean that nothing between men and women here ever gets to be questionned, but reading this forum, it's like everyone questions everything!

Dating for example : when is it a date, when is it not? I couldn't even translate the concept! You like someone, you go and take a coffee, period, no more no less, you just have a nice time!

I have a lot more to say but I'd like you to say your bit before if none of you mind? So that it's not a vindicative thread and informative, maybe fun, only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
If you make out (or more) after it was a date. Simple.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:48 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Women are very confusing. All the time. lol

Old 10-21-2013, 01:49 PM

So, and it seems that way, from outside (culturally), men and women can't have fun together unless sex is involved?

That is weird! (for me)

Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM

It seems like you have these boy's nights and girl's nights, and it doesn't mean much to me. I see it in the movies but in reality, practically never!

Men and women interact all the time, and even if they don't always understand each other, they certainly aren't opponents!

Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
So, and it seems that way, from outside (culturally), men and women can't have fun together unless sex is involved?

That is weird! (for me)

Of course they can. Those are not dates though.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course they can. Those are not dates though.
That is exactly what I don't really get!

What better way of having great sex if not with someone you laugh already? Why should that be "coded" as in "date"?

Isn't it a lot of pressure when things could go naturally?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
That is exactly what I don't really get!

What better way of having great sex if not with someone you laugh already? Why should that be "coded" as in "date"?

Isn't it a lot of pressure when things could go naturally?
It doesn't have to be a date, it could be a FWB too.

Ok, I was joking with you a bit. But I can't speak for others, but I've never known people do be like "would you like to go on a date?". That is a movie thing from my experience. People will say "would you like to go see XYZ band on Friday night?" though. Whether that is a date or not depends on the intention of the person asking and the perspective of the person being asked. And YES, it does create some misunderstandings.

I have asked people on dates (not using that terminology) and they thought I was asking as a buddy. And I've asked people as a buddy and they thought I was asking them on a date. This is why we have forums I guess

But as far as the defining in general? Well, lots of people like their relationships and their dates defined. It affects expectations and how we act.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Hello!

I've posted sometimes but not often, let me introduce myself. I'm a french woman, nearly 39, long and short relationships behind me, and in a 6 years commited relationship now. (please forgive me for not using the exact words, but it is in a way the object of my thread)

I've been reading the relationship forum for a very long time and I'm very surprised, always, as how everything between men and women seems very "coded", and thus subject to interpretation and analysing in the USA.

I don't mean that nothing between men and women here ever gets to be questionned, but reading this forum, it's like everyone questions everything!

Dating for example : when is it a date, when is it not? I couldn't even translate the concept! You like someone, you go and take a coffee, period, no more no less, you just have a nice time!

I have a lot more to say but I'd like you to say your bit before if none of you mind? So that it's not a vindicative thread and informative, maybe fun, only
this is the internet, it is not how people act in real life. the things i say here, i would rarely (if ever) say to anyone's face. that's kind of the point.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Hello!

I think a lot of the confusion comes from different expectations.

Many people, especially people in our age group (I am 44), take it for granted that finding your way into a committed relationship is the main purpose of dating. They evaluate the success or failure of a date based on how close it brings them to that goal.

But this the not case for many younger people. Especially not for many younger men. A lot of younger men (and some women) do not want committed relationships. They want casual sex, a short-term fling, or an open relationship. This creates problems and confusion when they socialize with people whose expectation are more traditional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships