Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

It has been too long since my wife and I have dropped off our kids with a sitter and gone out on a date night. But tonight as she was making dinner I had an idea. I was walking through the formal dining room in our home and I stopped to look at some fall decorations my wife had displayed on the table. She had a couple candles as well.

It occurred to me that I had not once sat down at this table and enjoyed a meal. We've lived in this house for just over 10 months and had the dining room set restored shortly after we closed on this house. It's a nice antique set that dates to the early 1920s and cost a few bucks to get restored. All that and I have not even used it beyond, save for it makes for a nice display as you enter the house.

In a rare flash of brilliance, I lit the candles and then suggested to my wife we let the kids eat their dinner while watching a Snoopy cartoon and she and I could eat in our dining room. We banned the kids from entering and sat and talked. No TV, no computers, no kids. Just the two of us. It was almost like a date.

We need to do that more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,254 times
Duchamp Girl has done this for me once in a while. She bakes nice cakes and throws open the picnic cloth in her living room. I bring some food on and we sit on the ground and eat till we get sick. It's nice once in a while, especially when it's raining or snowing outside.

Truth be told, people used to do this in old times. Normal people. The world just got loco. There's this whole concept of having a quiet dinner at home. We only see it in period flicks now.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
sounds nice, and less hassle than actually going out. I prefer date nights at home, myself.

I only say this because I don't eat in restaurants

Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
I remember growing up, we lived in an old house that had a breakfast room where we all ate. The room had swinging doors on each side leading into the kitchen and dining room. They were always open, except on Friday nights. On those nights we 3 kids would get TV dinners in the living room (and when we were older, we would be out) and my parents would close themselves off and have dinner alone by candlelight, Steak, baked potatoes and steamed artichokes. We were to never breach the barrier unless someone was bleeding or had suffered a broken bone.

They have been married for 60 years, but sadly do not live together anymore since my dad went into an Alzheimer's home 2 years ago.

I always admired their ability to take care of their marriage with those little moments.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
I like these too. I work in a the most crowded area in the country and a break from crowds and noise is relaxing. Going out once in a while is my game. My GF cooks great and I sm slowly learning to cook too.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 AM

11,794 posts, read 12,028,825 times
That's a cute story and a good reminder that it truly is the little things. It doesn't have to cost anything or expend a lot of effort, but those are some of the most memorable times we have in life.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
"You lit my candles??!!??"

"Oh my word!!"

"I was saving those for a special occasion Jerk!!"

Old 10-22-2013, 12:46 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It has been too long since my wife and I have dropped off our kids with a sitter and gone out on a date night. But tonight as she was making dinner I had an idea. I was walking through the formal dining room in our home and I stopped to look at some fall decorations my wife had displayed on the table. She had a couple candles as well.

It occurred to me that I had not once sat down at this table and enjoyed a meal. We've lived in this house for just over 10 months and had the dining room set restored shortly after we closed on this house. It's a nice antique set that dates to the early 1920s and cost a few bucks to get restored. All that and I have not even used it beyond, save for it makes for a nice display as you enter the house.

In a rare flash of brilliance, I lit the candles and then suggested to my wife we let the kids eat their dinner while watching a Snoopy cartoon and she and I could eat in our dining room. We banned the kids from entering and sat and talked. No TV, no computers, no kids. Just the two of us. It was almost like a date.

We need to do that more often.
All my pretty china is still boxed up in the basement, and the dining room table has become a second office while my husband is in school. But I can imagine a quiet candlelit dinner! Nice going.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
It gets harder when you have teenagers. Those bastards never go to sleep.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It gets harder when you have teenagers. Those bastards never go to sleep.
OK, this is FUNNY!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships