Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,990,374 times

Advertisements

We click well sexually. Extremely well.

Kindhearted, compassionate and empathetic. Extremely ethical and honest. Silly. Reads a lot. Fun conversations. Likes to travel a lot, prefers camping to hotels.

Is probably a scientist or software guy. Empirical, practical, logical, straightforward. And silly.

Smells biochemically compatible.

Comfortable and relaxed with his own emotions and other people's. Does not think crying is unmanly or get panicky if someone is upset. Has no mental health issues (depression, etc.). Has no hangups about gender.

Egalitarian and non-paraniod in relationships. Has no interest in controlling his partner and takes for granted his partner has no interest in controlling him.

Lookswise, I prefer slender, long hair and/or facial stubble, little body hair. But the great love of my life was tubby and furry (and short and bald). Looks are not a big deal. Almost no guys are shorter than me, and I would not mind if he was.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
What are you saying? That women are secure in their desirability but men are insecure?

You should see women go nuts and ballistic anytime there is a thread about men not wanting to date single mothers.
I (and most) women go nuts on those threads about single moms since those threads end up bashing single mothers as "on welfare" and they go around sleeping with everyone and anyone just looking for someone to raise their child. I take issue because I am a single mom, make a lot more than the average salary (and presumably many of the posters here), have one child--who was planned in the context of a marriage, and she has a father who has joint custody, etc... I (and the other single mom's there) don't care about about what men say they won't date me. There are plenty of men who do date single moms that I don't see any scarcity. If a man doesn't want to date single moms, that's their business. I only take issue with the single mom steortype.

Funny, no one is bashing me for liking husky, rugged men with beards... only the ONE woman who likes the typical "tall, dark, and handsome" is getting bashed. Why?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM

448 posts, read 763,785 times
I am a straight man so I'm going to say what I want in a woman while we're in fantasy land here.

Physically:
-Shorter than me, not by a lot but to the point she's not taller than me if she wears heals
-Has toned legs, hips, a round butt, is *thin*, and medium sized boobs
-Wavy/curly soft hair
-Soft facial features
-Doesn't need to wear makeup

Personality wise:
-Likes me
-Likes sex
-Has good self esteem and body image but isn't full of herself
-Easy going and can take a joke/doesn't get offended over minutia
-Doesn't crave attention
-Appreciates it when I do things like open doors, pay for food, carry her over puddles etc.

Last edited by InternetTroll; 10-24-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
^^^

Why not start a new thread?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I (and most) women go nuts on those threads about single moms since those threads end up bashing single mothers as "on welfare" and they go around sleeping with everyone and anyone just looking for someone to raise their child. I take issue because I am a single mom, make a lot more than the average salary (and presumably many of the posters here), have one child--who was planned in the context of a marriage, and she has a father who has joint custody, etc... I (and the other single mom's there) don't about about what men say they won't date me. there are plenty of men who do date single moms. If a man doesn't want to date single moms, that's their business. I only take issue with the single mom steortype.

Funny, no one is bashing me for liking husky, rugged men with beards... only the ONE woman who likes the typical "tall, dark, and handsome" is getting bashed. Why?
I'm just saying. There's a inclination that women are stronger than men, that they don't whine and they don't care about men's preferences.

That ain't true at all.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeViolationMcEnroe View Post
This shows again how ridiculous women's standards are.

5'11"+ is only 27.5% of men
Zero chest hair? No men fit that requirement, unless you're looking for chemo patients.
Non-puffy hands? What does that even mean?
To be fair, you gotta cut some slack because it was described as a "perfect" guy, not requirements.

That said, here's a funny story: For a social psych project back in college, I went through a day's worth of online ads posted by women and used the percentage logic that you mentioned against their list of requirements in a cumulative fashion. For example:
  • Must be over 6'0" tall (only x% of men are this height)
  • Must make xxx per year as a salary (only y% of x% earn this much)
  • Must be ok with cats (z% of men are allergic to cats, so (100 - z%)% of y% of x%)
...and so on. As it turns out, most women were requesting (or in many cases, insisting) that their potential date met the same qualities as something like .04% of all men alive. I think the "average" number was like .8% (that is they'd only find 8 out of 1000 men "acceptable to date")

Bonus fun fact: A small handful had so many requirements that they had actually mathematically eliminated all men alive. Like you'd take 3.5 billion men, and once you factored out the ones that were gay, married, not tall enough, not rich enough, not the right race, etc...you were actually down to less than 1.0 men.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
What are you saying? That women are secure in their desirability but men are insecure?

I'm not saying that women are secure in their desirability. Quite the contrary. Most women are insecure about their looks. We know that men are very visual and that certain physical traits are very important to them. Getting all upset about it is a waste of time. It's a given that if you don't have some of the physical traits that men like, you won't be as appealing to the typical man. So, lots of women work hard to look the way most men like by dieting, wearing padded bras, getting implants, keeping their hair longish, etc. to approximate the physical "ideal."

On the other hand, height is a big issue for lots of non-tall men. They get all upset that women women prefer tall men. They can't seem to accept it, which I guess is because there's nothing they can do about it. So, yes, non-tall men are insecure. Also, the issue of large equipment, while not as big of a deal, still causes lots of men insecurities about size. And again, there's nothing they can do about that either.

Therefore, the biggest difference is that women can try to do something about approximating the physical ideal. Men cannot.

Quote:
You should see women go nuts and ballistic anytime there is a thread about men not wanting to date single mothers.
This is a different issue. It has nothing to do with physical looks, but gets into the complications of lifestyle decisions of the SO, drama from the exes, difficult children, a constant money drain, lack of time with SO, etc. It is understandable why anyone would not want to date single parents.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:52 AM

448 posts, read 763,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
To be fair, you gotta cut some slack because it was described as a "perfect" guy, not requirements.

That said, here's a funny story: For a social psych project back in college, I went through a day's worth of online ads posted by women and used the percentage logic that you mentioned against their list of requirements in a cumulative fashion. For example:
  • Must be ok with cats (z% of men are allergic to cats, so (100 - z%)% of y% of x%)
...and so on. As it turns out, most women were requesting (or in many cases, insisting) that their potential date met the same qualities as something like .04% of all men alive. I think the "average" number was like .8% (that is they'd only find 8 out of 1000 men "acceptable to date")

Bonus fun fact: A small handful had so many requirements that they had actually mathematically eliminated all men alive. Like you'd take 3.5 billion men, and once you factored out the ones that were gay, married, not tall enough, not rich enough, not the right race, etc...you were actually down to less than 1.0 men.
haha that's great

Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,246 times
Quote:

To follow up on that though, threads like this are awesome. Social dynamics interest me a lot. And people can learn a lot about the things they can control. I mean, you can't "make" yourself taller, but a lot of these things that are important are personality traits.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone would be surprised by this at all. I'm reminded of the person that posted on here that wanted a vegetarian, 6', sport hating, etc. guy. It was so much criteria that there were probably 5 straight men in all of NYC that fit the bill.

I'm reminded again of one of my friends that has a requirement (which is her right) that the man be Jewish. She has other criteria too, but when she finally reached 38 and really no luck she finally said, "fine, I'll date someone that is open to converting to Judaism". Ugh, I feel bad, there are just so few people that meet her list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships