Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:18 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
It's unfortunate. Poor guy really should have done a prenup. what was he thinking?
He was in love. He had been married to one woman for twenty something years until she died of cancer and then came Miss Heather with her Mine Field organizations, and other philanthropy work and he simply fell in love after losing the love of his life. Quite frankly, I actually admire the man of not thinking about keeping his money when marrying. I wish marriage could go back to being that simple, not about the money, but about love and trust. Quite unusual these days for a man of Paul McCartney's wealth to still believe in love and trust. Stupid, or just old fashioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 05:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Good point. Money shouldnt be the main focus. But it seems to end up that way in contested divorces.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:40 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
He was in love. He had been married to one woman for twenty something years until she died of cancer and then came Miss Heather with her Mine Field organizations, and other philanthropy work and he simply fell in love after losing the love of his life. Quite frankly, I actually admire the man of not thinking about keeping his money when marrying. I wish marriage could go back to being that simple, not about the money, but about love and trust. Quite unusual these days for a man of Paul McCartney's wealth to still believe in love and trust. Stupid, or just old fashioned?
Neither puffle, simply a man with hope and open heart...she doesn't know what she lost...

Old 11-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Neither puffle, simply a man with hope and open heart...she doesn't know what she lost...
I agree...have had a crush on the man for over 43 years.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:00 PM

Prenuptuals seem to carry a double standard, at least for men. They are jerks and unromantic if they ask for one, and if there is a divorce and they didn't ask for one, then they are idiots. How can both be true? What do you think?

Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
Quote:
I think naive is the word. It proves he's a good-hearted person. He thought that she was just like him.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Prenuptuals seem to carry a double standard, at least for men. They are jerks and unromantic if they ask for one, and if there is a divorce and they didn't ask for one, then they are idiots. How can both be true? What do you think?
I think prenups protect both parties. It's hard to get married nowadays without one. Money is something to talk about upfront but few people do. Believe me, I know. It was a huge issue in my last relationship.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Here you go Puff, perfect example of what a dimwit Heather Mills is. She depends on wealthy people to donate money to her charities, so what does she do? She insults them! I'm sure Paul totally hates her now..

McCartney's estranged wife berates rich - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Sorry, off topic, but here's a great article that gets to the heart of Heather -- she was too controlling, wouldn't let the poor guy smoke his hooch.

Heather Mills McCartney: Secrets and lies - Independent Online Edition > Profiles (http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/article548935.ece - broken link)

Last edited by GreenMachine; 11-22-2007 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-22-2007, 09:51 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I didn't get married until I was 39. Until I met my husband, I had no desire whatsoever to be married. I was happily single, enjoying my life. Hell, I didn't even date for seven years!

Once I met my husband, though, all bets were off. We both just knew we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. It's truly the easiest relationship I've ever been in. No game playing, none of the BS I had experienced before.

I frequently hear the phrase that you have to work at a marriage for it to succeed. I don't completely agree. I think the most important thing for a marriage to succeed is communication. Never assume your spouse knows what you're thinking. Tell them. Never hold things in to the point you explode one day over something trivial. Talk to your spouse if something's on your mind, or something is bothering you. Don't wait until you're so angry you can't think coherently.

Above all, think before you speak. Hurtful things can be said in the heat of an argument, and you can't unring that bell.

I've never felt like my marriage is work. Yes, we've had some difficult times (death of a parent, issues with his ex-wife, etc.), but we've always leaned on each other and never taken anything out on the other.

So yes, marriage is definitely realistic for me, but not marriage to just anybody - marriage to the man I was lucky enough to find. I was happy before I met my husband, but I'm happier now than I ever could have imagined.
I believe there is some work involved, it is not always easy...but girlfriend, you got it right--no game playing!! This is the first relationship I've been in where I have felt we truly never play those stupid "Rules" games, and it is so worth it. Neither of us is perfect; so be it. But we don't have to play stupid games to make each other jealous or whatever the point of that is, to prove it.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:32 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
If you find the right person to whom you would spend the rest of your life with then marrage won't change that.
absolutely, and I also feel, when you've spent quality time by yourself, you are defined by yourself, and enjoy life more, you know what happy is, not someone else's idea of what your happy should be, therefore, now, when you chose a mate, you are driven by wants & needs rather then co-dependency....which makes you extremely in tune with awareness and much more selective. You know who the you of you is....and you enjoy the company you keep...

I think time on your own, and time to personally reflect is a definate search in the right direction for understanding who you are...and accepting your imperfections...which I believe some spiritualists call, facing your own demons...we all have a good and bad side of us....and if we face and realize our imperfections honestly...we then can actually start to groom ourselves, slowly and decide what we want out of life...many don't even know

If you ask someone what they're goals are, in life, and there is no right or wrong answer....but reflecting with someone else really helps you to decide if that person is for you. Everyone goes thru those times when they meet someone and feel so familiar with them, b/c it seems like the two are similar in beliefs...but we must go deeper then that, and try and see the bad side of that person to know if we can really be comfortable and patient with that person. You see, we're all on differnt growth levels...some are further along then others, some, are just simply stagnated where they are, and will never grow any further, therefore, we have to find out what is right for us..personally and if that person will also fill our needs and desires.

It's certainly not all about sex, cuz once the sex is over (you cannot stay in bed 24/7) there has to be other cultural similarities to keep the fire burning....and there also has to be mental stimulation...if you slowly loose respect for someone, b/c they are not mentall and spiritually in line with your culture, you hurt them deeply and make them feel like a failure...that is unfair...it's just that they are not morally and spiritually in sync with you...which is sooooo important.

Just my thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships