Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
You'll see. If you think your crew of friends are all going to stay childless and unmarried into their mid to late 30s, you have another thing coming.
I know I am, so why is it so hard to believe that there would be other people like me.

I know about a dozen unmarried childless, older friends/family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I know I am, so why is it so hard to believe that there would be other people like me.

I know about a dozen unmarried childless, older friends/family.
There are lots of people like you. People do stay unmarried and childless through their 30's and into their 40's. It's not at all unusual anymore, though that varies by geographical location. And more people are choosing to be married and childless, as well. OP, if you're feeling pressure to marry in your 20's already, either learn to ignore that, or consider relocating to a more liberal area.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
their is indeed tremendous social pressure to be paired up , Ive found myself being left out of things as ive gotten older for the crime of being single , I think its worse for guys , a bunch of women can still get together and do things in groups into their forties , bar playing football etc , guys cant really im considering pairing up with someone im not even attracted to , shes definatley into me enough , shes overweight and plain but at least I can have someone on my arm at the next ball
She's overweight and plain? And you are.......?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She's overweight and plain? And you are.......?
I can send you a pic if you wish and you can judge for yourself

Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
I've never experienced this. Then again, I'm 27.
I hope not living in NYC. If you get it there, we would be in serious trouble in the other socially liberal republics like DC, Seattle, Portland, etc.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:41 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
We’ve seen in this thread the suggestion to use graduate school as a social venue and a means of securing lifelong friendships. This is sound advice. However,…. I attended grad school in the late 1990s, in engineering, on the West Coast. Most of my former stablemates arrived very single and very nerdy, but somewhere between coursework, prelims, research and dissertation defense, managed to sufficiently flower so as to find a romantic partner. Single and moping in abject isolation at 25, happily (or at least contentedly) married by 30 or 32. Years later, nearly all have kids. Their families tend to be small – having one child is common – but few could be described as wholly child-free. In my “branch” at work, we have around 30 engineers. 29 are men. Of the 30, all but 3 are married: a widower, a fellow about to hit 30 (with a steady girlfriend), and yours truly. All but 4 have children (the exceptions being the two single guys, the widower and one young still-childless couple). So whereas grad school is a wonderful place to meet people, don’t expect the PhD to somehow obviate the normal marriage-and-children route. It is ubiquitous.

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 10-29-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 PM

12 posts, read 14,802 times
I am 33, never been married, no kids. Some of the fights I see young or middle aged married couples get into....really helps me make sure I do not settle. You have to make sure you marry someone you cant live without, instead of finding someone you could live with. I am the same guy in many ways as I was in my 20's, but now in my 30's after life experiences, global travel, starting a company, MBA, etc, I have different desires and wants out of life and in a good woman.

What is true, is that once you get to 30's or higher the pickings are slim. The majority of women you meet out and about are divorced or single mothers. Its not so much the fact they are a parent or divorced as it is they often have jealous ex husbands or "baby daddys", and you are most likely never, ever, going to be #1. You will always take a back seat in the end. Not saying this is ALWAYS the case, but it happens. Its worth waiting for the right one. Just dont go crazy trying to find someone. Let it happen and it will when the time is right.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Eh, i have parts of family and a lot of society around me shunning me because I have not married or divorced by now. Hell, my family tried to get me to marry with anyone straight out of high school. That didn't go over too well.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:17 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
you obviously are in your 20s. that was the case for me when i was in my 20s. the game changes when you hit 30, and it is an eye opener.
Yea... Then all your friends with kids start telling you how envious they are of you!!!

Old 10-29-2013, 04:36 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
What pressure? I don't feel any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships