Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,434 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I hope I am posting this in the right place and this will be long and may sound a bit immature so I apologise but I need some advice, I need to get this out there.

This time last year I was struggling very badly with anxiety and depression, I joined a mental health forum and I met this guy (I'm 19, he's 21) there who I became very close to, we would help each other out and talk about our problems, skype etc (we're both real people) and after a while I suppose we started to like each other.

He used to live quite far away from me but he recently moved to a city near me for University (I wasn't the reason he moved closer, it's just that was the Uni he got into). Well we were supposed to meet up but before we did he told me something that put me off him. He told me he met this other girl on the same forum recently (after he'd moved near me) and had sex with her. I know it's not my place to be upset about it and I wasn't really upset at the fact he had sex with her. I felt more like that's probably all he wants from me when we meet up or what he must have been expecting. I also felt like he obviously didn't care about my feelings since I had told him I liked him by telling me about what happened or the way in which he told me. It kind of made me feel like maybe I'm not as special to this person as they made out I was.

I have since removed myself from that forum, he told me that he still really wants to meet me and he tells me all these nice things about myself, that he really likes me, we still text each other but I just think wtf? You don't even know me in real life, everything that you're saying is a load of c*** basically, just trying to make me feel 'special'. I bet you tell the other girl exactly the same thing!.... That's what I think all the time and it's ridiculous!

I have told him that I would like to be his friend but I think he wants more and I'm terrible at turning people down, I normally end up just running away from them or ignoring them until they end up hating me. The reason why I'm taking this so seriously is because I genuinely like this guy and I feel like it would be a horrible thing to do just to ignore him.

I know this sounds big headed of me but I am not an ''unattractive'' person, I get plenty of attention in the ''real world'' but I felt like I clicked with this guy, especially about my depression and I suppose because I was a bit vulnerable I became attached to him. I've never had an online friendship/relationship before, it's a bit alien to me. That is why I feel like an idiot and even reading this back makes me cringe.

I suppose what I want to know is how do I move on from him without hurting his feelings? I really want to put this all behind me. I really want to meet a nice guy, someone who doesn't remind me of my depression and someone who respects my feelings I suppose.

Or am I just being incredibly over dramatic about it all?

Please be gentle with me!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Its natural to feel the way you do; call it your intuition. Be honest; he'll get over being hurt, and so will you.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
In real life things happen and life goes on.
There was no being a couple so why in the world would you be upset?
Sixth graders "like" each other, friends "like" each other, mature adults state clearly that they are interested in someone romantically, they don't just assume that telling someone they "like" them means that someone understands that they want to be more than friends.

His life is his to do what he wants with and if he met someone else and had sex with her then he met someone else and had sex with her and owes you nothing as far as an explaination goes.
I am curious why he would even mention it though, bragging, looking for a specific reaction from you?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBAL View Post

I suppose what I want to know is how do I move on from him without hurting his feelings? I really want to put this all behind me. I really want to meet a nice guy, someone who doesn't remind me of my depression and someone who respects my feelings I suppose.

Thank you!
Tell him the truth. Then move on. He'll get over it.

[and if he can't, that's his problem]

Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

He used to live quite far away from me but he recently moved to a
city near me for University (I wasn't the reason he moved closer, it's just that
was the Uni he got into). Well we were supposed to meet up but before we did he
told me something that put me off him. He told me he met this other girl on the
same forum recently (after he'd moved near me) and had sex with her. I know it's
not my place to be upset about it and I wasn't really upset at the fact he had
sex with her. I felt more like that's probably all he wants from me when we meet
up or what he must have been expecting. I also felt like he obviously didn't
care about my feelings since I had told him I liked him by telling me about what
happened or the way in which he told me. It kind of made me feel like maybe I'm
not as special to this person as they made out I was
I'm not following. Did you have a arrangement whereby you had a commitment to each other to be exclusive?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Hey,
I hope I am posting this in the right place and this will be long and may sound a bit immature so I apologise but I need some advice, I need to get this out there.

This time last year I was struggling very badly with anxiety and depression, I joined a mental health forum and I met this guy (I'm 19, he's 21) there who I became very close to, we would help each other out and talk about our problems, skype etc (we're both real people) and after a while I suppose we started to like each other.

He used to live quite far away from me but he recently moved to a city near me for University (I wasn't the reason he moved closer, it's just that was the Uni he got into). Well we were supposed to meet up but before we did he told me something that put me off him. He told me he met this other girl on the same forum recently (after he'd moved near me) and had sex with her. I know it's not my place to be upset about it and I wasn't really upset at the fact he had sex with her. I felt more like that's probably all he wants from me when we meet up or what he must have been expecting. I also felt like he obviously didn't care about my feelings since I had told him I liked him by telling me about what happened or the way in which he told me. It kind of made me feel like maybe I'm not as special to this person as they made out I was.

I have since removed myself from that forum, he told me that he still really wants to meet me and he tells me all these nice things about myself, that he really likes me, we still text each other but I just think wtf? You don't even know me in real life, everything that you're saying is a load of c*** basically, just trying to make me feel 'special'. I bet you tell the other girl exactly the same thing!.... That's what I think all the time and it's ridiculous!

I have told him that I would like to be his friend but I think he wants more and I'm terrible at turning people down, I normally end up just running away from them or ignoring them until they end up hating me. The reason why I'm taking this so seriously is because I genuinely like this guy and I feel like it would be a horrible thing to do just to ignore him.

I know this sounds big headed of me but I am not an ''unattractive'' person, I get plenty of attention in the ''real world'' but I felt like I clicked with this guy, especially about my depression and I suppose because I was a bit vulnerable I became attached to him. I've never had an online friendship/relationship before, it's a bit alien to me. That is why I feel like an idiot and even reading this back makes me cringe.

Thank you!
Well, it seems what has put you off is the fact that he had sex with someone else from the forum. We don't know anything about him, but perhaps you have a feeling that he may be a little off kilter, and now you're not sure about his motives?

I guess you could feel a little betrayed by what he did, since you had feelings for him. No it's not weird.

If you agree to meet him, it's going to be harder to back away later. Consider your safety and sanity first. Write him a nice letter and simply tell him you've moved on. Then move on. Don't respond to him afterwards.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM

76 posts, read 127,751 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Yes, you are being overly dramatic. From what I read you didn't have an exclusive relationship at all, and liking someone isn't a commitment on your part either. So he had sex with someone else. Why he felt the need to tell you is curious, but perhaps he is just an open book. If you think every guy you might ever get involved with won't have had sex with someone else you are seriously kidding yourself. If it's a deal breaker for you then end it and move on. Otherwise get over it and focus on your relationship with him, not someone else's.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:23 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaligirl View Post
yes, you are being overly dramatic. From what i read you didn't have an exclusive relationship at all, and liking someone isn't a commitment on your part either. So he had sex with someone else. Why he felt the need to tell you is curious, but perhaps he is just an open book. If you think every guy you might ever get involved with won't have had sex with someone else you are seriously kidding yourself. If it's a deal breaker for you then end it and move on. Otherwise get over it and focus on your relationship with him, not someone else's.
+1

Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 9,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaligirl View Post
Yes, you are being overly dramatic. From what I read you didn't have an exclusive relationship at all, and liking someone isn't a commitment on your part either. So he had sex with someone else. Why he felt the need to tell you is curious, but perhaps he is just an open book. If you think every guy you might ever get involved with won't have had sex with someone else you are seriously kidding yourself. If it's a deal breaker for you then end it and move on. Otherwise get over it and focus on your relationship with him, not someone else's.
Thank you, that's what I needed to hear! lol I would rep you but I can't as I'm new...

Old 10-31-2013, 08:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
I wouldn't date him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships