Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Would you date someone if they had a FWB but promised to stop seeing that person?
I suspect the vast majority of guys would rather be in a FWB with a woman that date her.

Think about it. In a FWB, a guy gets ALL the benefits of dating, but NONE of the restrictions. If a guy knew FWB was a possibility with a woman, why on earth would he settle for dating her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM

374 posts, read 393,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Nope. Never had a ONS either. So that could be part of it. I just not in my nature to have sex with a man I am not attracted to, attached to, falling in love with, dating, etc. So maybe I just have a hard time wrapping my head around it--for me, part of sex is having feelings for the person I am having sex with.
I understand that completely, sex is different for everyone.

There are a lot of people like you that sex requires feelings for the other person, I can respect that 100%.

Then there are people that sex is just that, sex. I fall into that category, to me it's just another physical activity you have with another person that's fun.

Now making love is a different story and a whole different experience. I very seldom have sex with my wife, the majority of the time we make love.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I suspect the vast majority of guys would rather be in a FWB with a woman that date her.

Think about it. In a FWB, a guy gets ALL the benefits of dating, but NONE of the restrictions. If a guy knew FWB was a possibility with a woman, why on earth would he settle for dating her?
Maybe because he wants to be in a real relationship with her?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Would you date someone if they had a FWB but promised to stop seeing that person?
I dunno. Don't forget the F stands for friends. I might wonder what they were really up to when they were hanging out; in the beginning, at least. Once things are serious I would expect her to stop seeing him.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I dunno. Don't forget the F stands for friends. I might wonder what they were really up to when they were hanging out; in the beginning, at least. Once things are serious I would expect her to stop seeing him.
That leads me to question, are you saying that your partner shouldn't be close friends with a member of the opposite sex?

When I met my wife I had a female roommate that I worked with as well, we never had sex, and the thought never crossed our minds. Luckily my wife believed me when I told her upfront about the female roommate and that nothing was happening.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I'd be cool with it since no commitment exists between us. However if we are going somewhere I expect the FWB situation to end.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
Everyone needs to get laid, why not have one partner instead of a bunch of one night stands?
This^
Quote:
I have a friend from a long time ago that when both of us were single, we'd sleep together, we both wanted to have sex but didn't want to have sex with random people.
and this^
explain my reasoning on the issue.

Have had the same FWB since 2009-off and on, we ceased activity when I found a serious relationship with someone else.
It's patently obvious that neither he (the FWB) nor I are going to "fall for each other", romantically-
we're both just not that into each other, as the saying goes.
It's very rare that we hang out for a reason other than sex, so it's more like AWB, "Acquaintance With Benefits".

I have a need for physicality in my life, and so does he-we are useful to each other, on this very limited basis.
My strong preference is for a relationship in which my mind and body are involved with just one person-
but that's not always possible, alas.

To answer the OP's question: yes, I would date someone who had an FWB/AWB-
if they were looking for a relationship (instead of FWB being their first choice).

Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Of course someone in that relationship cares to some degree, the F in FWB stands for Friends, meaning there is a relationship outside of sex and that's a friendship. Just as in any other friendship their is a level of caring, but its not the same level as one would have towards a girl friend or boy friend.

If you aren't dating someone or friends with someone and you're having sex together, then it's not a FWB relationship, it's a one night stand or someone you have a booty call with.

I've been in both situations where a FWB relationship didnt work out and where it did, but that doesn't mean I'm a sociopath or robot. It works for some people, and it doesn't work for everyone.

True, people here wrongly equate a FWB with a FB. Very different things.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
No.

I know that I am probably in the minority, but I don't think FWB ends up being in reality what it is in theory. Unless both people are sociopaths or robots, someone in that relationship cares to some degree and there will be attachment and along with that there will be drama. I want no part of that mess. In my mind, a FWB is no different to me than if a man had a girlfriend. And just like I wouldn't start dating a man with a girlfriend or would get upset to find out he had one I didn't know about while dating me, I wouldn't date a man with a FWB and would likely get upset to find out about it later.
One normally has some expectation with a gf/bf that there is an emotional attachment and that the relationship will likely evolve and may lead to a LTR or marriage. There is actual dating where you go out together to dinner or dancing and you hold hands, hug maybe kiss in public. There are introductions to family and you are included in family gatherings, blah blah blah.

For me anyway, FWB situations begin with someone who is just a friend. You don't see this person as someone you could be compatible with in a serious relationship but you like them and of course aren't repulsed by them sexually. You may hang out with them usually in a social group as friends. The only difference in this and other friendships is you occasionally have sex because you have needs and its a safe way to have those needs met.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

In a FWB you get sex. I guess if one sees the only benefit of dating to be sex than a FWB would be preferable.

Most guys do want to ultimately have a love of their life, a real partner and perhaps a family one day.
All the guys that were once my FWB are now married with families. One of these guys had a gf (now wife) in his home state while we were FWB. They had an agreement while they were away from each other so she knew about me although we never met until the FWB ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships