Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 PM

52 posts, read 111,720 times

Advertisements

I know this a common question, but I've never heard a good answer.

In post-college life, you spend the majority of your waking hours at work. It's assumed you won't meet a mate there because (1) work relationships are a no-no and (2), as a recent college grad, your coworkers are unlikely to be near your age range, unless you're at some young, hip company like Google. So that means that more than 1/2 of your waking hours are not helping you find a mate.

Now, what about the other 1/2 of your time?

You're probably not going to meet anyone Monday-Friday after work. Most people are burned out from a 9-5 workday and just want to use their remaining energy to finish a workout at the gym and then cook themselves a meal before relaxing at their apartment. The only public places you'll be are the gym, maybe the bus and the grocery store as well. Problem is that, according to women, they don't want a random guy talking to them in public places. So I assume that Monday-Friday are times that you're not going to find a mate.

That leaves only the weekends as possibilities. Still, where the Hell do you meet women? I guess the only place where it is appropriate to talk to random women is the bars.

I see why so many people resort to online dating. No way I'm doing that, though. Online dating is basically a catalogue for women to pick out guys 6'0"+ and $100k/yr+. I would have no luck at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
After college I met a lot of young single people in my neighborhood and at local watering holes. Most young people in cities tend to cluster together in apartment complexes and other neighborhoods with a lot of rental properties. Also we did a lot of socializing--parties, outdoor events, etc. where a lot of similar-aged people (friends of friends) would join in. And yes, we went out on weeknights! We were young and had stamina! Honestly, my 20s were just as social as my college days.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 PM

105 posts, read 127,116 times
haha hope to hear some good replies here finished college too and trying hard!!! 6' plus is not helping me yet though. :/

Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,765 times
Bars, volunteering, sports leagues, parties, coworkers, friends, professional organizations, the internet (including, but not limited to, dating sites), etc. You needn't be 6' tall or make 6 figures, I promise. You also needn't limit yourself to weekends.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,857 times
Gym is another one. Met a lot of ladies there, and I'm 5'8.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:07 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Why the hell would a young person in their 20s be too tired to go out after work? I don't get it. What am I missing?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 PM

250 posts, read 399,812 times
What kind of environment do you live in? Ie. suburbs, apartment complex in the suburbs, apartment complex in the city, etc..

Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppage View Post
The only public places you'll be are the gym, maybe the bus and the grocery store as well. Problem is that,<B> according to women, they don't want a random guy talking to them in public places. </B> So I assume that Monday-Friday are times that you're not going to find a mate.

That leaves only the weekends as possibilities. Still, where the Hell do you meet women? I guess the only place where it is appropriate to talk to random women is the bars.
I don't know where you got the bolded. SOME women may not like being approached in stores or at the bus stop, but other women go to the store HOPING someone will approach them. don't be so negative about the possibilities.

Other places you can meet women are hiking groups or sports leagues, volunteering at political or enviro orgs, jogging or walking around the local park after work, attending art fairs and concerts, etc. The catch is that when you do these activities, you have to actually TALK to women--you know, be friendly and outgoing, and chat with people. That seems to be more of an obstacle for some guys than figuring out where the women are.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
When I was that age, bars, rock clubs, parties, friends of friends, etc. This was pre internet dating and it worked fine.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,134 times
Most 20-somethings go out during the week. In cities, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships