Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
It's not fair to apply that statement unilaterally. I personally know many happy couples who met their spouses through online dating, or other places on the internet. I also have several close friends who I've met online. Two of them were our house guests for a week earlier this year.

You can meet dishonest people anywhere - in bars, the grocery store, and yes, even in church. The older we get, the more difficult it is to meet people our age. The internet can prove to be a valuable source of friendships and support. Look at Rance and Sweden. Look at cinderobyn and her friends, who have been so supportive of her during the most difficult time in her life. My 74-year-old mother is part of a close-knit group of widows who met online. They're scattered all over the country, yet they gather at different members' homes several times a year, and take trips together. (They've even had an article (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173352727372&path=!living&s=1 037645509005 - broken link) written about them in the Winston-Salem newspaper.)

The key is not where you meet someone - it's how you conduct yourself. Online dating services are just a tool to meet people. You can use the tool safely and wisely.

But you can't control what is out there and on the other side. No matter how well intentioned and tuned in you are, some are really good liars, and can fool the best intentioned person.
The good results are probably the exception, not the rule. I don't hear people with a lot of great stories about how things went over the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
But you can't control what is out there and on the other side. No matter how well intentioned and tuned in you are, some are really good liars, and can fool the best intentioned person.
The good results are probably the exception, not the rule. I don't hear people with a lot of great stories about how things went over the internet.
Well, you heard from me about how great things went. I married him.

No, you can't control what is out there, but you can be smart about how you deal with people.

As I said before, really good liars are everywhere - not just the internet. By the same token, good people are everywhere - including the internet.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
You can fall for somebody you never met. If you feel a soul connection to them. But be prepared for disappointment when you do meet them.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,269 times
i have exactly the same problem. i met someone on a games website and we started talking, we have so much in common. we spoke to eachother everyday for as long as we could. i spoke to his family and i was part of it and never wanted to leave him. He rang me up and said so many sweet things which made me feel so special and like no one could replace him. We were 'together' for 7 months. then for 2 weeks he ignored me and with no explanation. i spoke to his sister and she told me he had dumped me for a girl that lived near him. i was heart broken! after those two weeks he started to talk to me again as if mothiing had happened, i confronted him and he said his sister lies alot. i believed him. (how stupid!) then i found his friend and asked to know the truth and found out he was cheating on me with this other girl. i told him that i would still love him even if he has cheated on me. he told me everything and said that i can break up with him but being my naive self i gave in and stayed with him. i knew he had another girl but he apologised so much and has rang me everyday since then. I never told my friends that i stayed with him they all think i left him but we are a secret and i feel awkward. he says al these amazing things and tells me he loves e but i know the truth. i don't want to leave him because i feel good about myself and know i will never meet him in person. it's very complicated and i don't expect anyone to understand but i just feel sorry for this other girl. he is my 'love' which i know isn't true. i'm not daft enough to go meet him without someone i trust with me or to give him oney because i know he doesn't exactly love ME but more the 'idea' of me. that is how many people feel. especially women

Old 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Wink Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I had a couple of Russian Girls thru one of the dating sites tell me that, after emailing me for 1 month, but never talking to me on the phone or anything like that.
One of them called me her prince and her man and even made flight arrangements to come see me (but of course, I had to send over hundreds of $ to Russia). When I asked her if we could at least talk about it before I sent money, she said she could not talk because she did not have a phone.
I was 99% sure it was a scam.
But one person who knows Russian culture says that it's not uncommon for women to fall in love with men who they have never meant, since arranged marriages are still happening over there.
There is no way I would do that, save, maybe a celeberty, who I met once in person (I kept it in realistic expectations though)
100% SCAM

You might have been talking to a man.....think about it..

Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey19782000 View Post
A friend of mine met this guy online in a yahoo chatroom a few years ago. He was deployed to Iraq with the National Guard. She would spend hours online chatting with this guy, whom I personally chatted to and seemed like a nice guy. After a few months she decided this man was her soul mate and put her whole life on hold till he got back from Iraq. While he was away I left a message on the guestbook of the town this guy was from wanting info on him. My original worry was that he was married and I didn't want my friend to get hurt. Well a few weeks go by and the guy found the post and questioned my friend about it.Of course she didn't know anything about it and I admitted that I did it. This man told me he was in loove with my friend and that he had waited his whole life to meet someone like her. He also told her that he can't wait to stroke her hair , so she cut a lock of it off and mailed it to him. I checked my email and it was full of messages from other women all over the United States that this jerk was saying the same things to. When I showed them to her she said those were just psycho x's and that they were just jealous.Finally I got her to confront him with it and he told her that if she didn't trust him that they had nothing and that it was over. It took my friend 6 months to get over this dude and she never met him in person. When she finally did move on this jerk has the nerve to message her on myspace and tell her he is getting married. I would like to know how many of you would have fallen for that scam and if you believe that you can fall in love with someone you have never met?

That's just gross....that is all....well at least she didn't mail him a piece of her ear like van gogh.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
I've never fallen 'in love" with anyone online but I did develop strong feelings towards this one guy I met through online dating over 10 years ago. After exchanging a few emails, we connected through a chat room. We stayed up late for 4 straight nights and had one phone chat. I then emailed him a nice photo of myself and he suddenly was being evasive in the chat room. I asked him about how did he feel about my picture, he replied that I wasn't what he expected but he still wants to get to know me anyways. That killed it for me as I doubt that I could ever feel comfortable with someone knowing that my looks were a disappointment. I'm not the prettiest person in the world so this hurt me a great deal. I've had other situations where it had came to a point that I realized that online dating wasn't for me. I cannot deal with the thought of the person I am developing a relationship with being disappointed by my looks. *sigh* I will have to explore other avenues in terms of meeting someone.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I've never fallen 'in love" with anyone online but I did develop strong feelings towards this one guy I met through online dating over 10 years ago. After exchanging a few emails, we connected through a chat room. We stayed up late for 4 straight nights and had one phone chat. I then emailed him a nice photo of myself and he suddenly was being evasive in the chat room. I asked him about how did he feel about my picture, he replied that I wasn't what he expected but he still wants to get to know me anyways. That killed it for me as I doubt that I could ever feel comfortable with someone knowing that my looks were a disappointment. I'm not the prettiest person in the world so this hurt me a great deal. I've had other situations where it had came to a point that I realized that online dating wasn't for me. I cannot deal with the thought of the person I am developing a relationship with being disappointed by my looks. *sigh* I will have to explore other avenues in terms of meeting someone.
You're better off without that insensitive jerk anyways

Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I've been living for three years, now with a guy I first knew as a poster in an online community I moderated. We got to be friends over about a year, and would talk online, and eventually, on the phone. We lived about 500 miles apart and had been speaking nightly for months, but had never met face to face when we both disclosed that we felt that we were falling in love with one another. We arranged a meetup (he flew me 1,000 miles to be his date to his brother's wedding, and nobody in his family had a clue that we hadn't ever laid eyes on one another until that weekend, and, apart from his mom, still doesn't), and within months, I'd gotten a new job and moved the 500 miles. We've since bought a home together, adopted a pup, and look forward to our life together. But we absolutely fell in love sight unseen, and it only grew exponentially when we did finally meet up in person. No awkward airport moments, here...it's been bliss.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,107 times
he sounds like a player, or someone who can't find true love and is too shy to talk to girls in person.

but actually, i met a girl online who i love. but, she lives in my area, so its not so crazy.
we talk alot, and i've come to the conclusion that she is the girl i want to spend the rest of my life with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships