Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times

Advertisements

This came up today in a RL conversation, and I thought I'd see what y'all have to say about it .

There tends to be a standard dogma among single guys that single = freedom and married = less freedom.

Now, to me, this seems very strange. Why be in a relationship in the first place if it doesn't increase your freedom?

So, what are some ways that you have found, that you are more free when married / dating seriously?

Some I can think of:

- Free to have young children and a successful career. This is very rarely possible for a single parent, before the kids are in school.

- Free to take short-term financial cuts in order to increase long-term financial benefit. For example, he can go to grad school while she works and supports the family. He doesn't have to work while in school.

- This one's harder to quantify, but it's big deal to me and, I think, a lot of people: So many risks and challenges in life are easier when you know someone always has your back.

What do you find liberating, in a relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I think they're referring to freedoms to do whatever the hell they want, i.e., sleep around, hang with friends, stay out late.

I seriously doubt they're thinking about freedoms to impregnate a woman and climb the career ladder.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I think they're referring to freedoms to do whatever the hell they want, i.e., sleep around, hang with friends, stay out late.

I seriously doubt they're thinking about freedoms to impregnate a woman and climb the career ladder.
This. I can't imagine really feeling more "liberated" in a relationship. Happier maybe. But liberated? No.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
We definitely seen that relationships increase your freedom to eat whatever the hell you want, Not exercise, and still have someone who will be with you/sleep with you,

Old 11-01-2013, 08:06 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I can think of a big one for me. When I'm single I tend to be very focused on dating and thinking about men--I've always been this way and at 54 I'm just as "boy crazy" as I was at 15. It sounds pathetic I know but I guess it's the way I'm made and I'm through trying to fight it--even when I try really hard to focus on my career I think about dating. But when I'm in a relationship all that goes away and my mind is free to focus on more important things and when I'm settled happily in a relationship I stop thinking about other men and my mind enjoys the break.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
We definitely seen that relationships increase your freedom to eat whatever the hell you want, Not exercise, and still have someone who will be with you/sleep with you,
I guess I don't see things that way. If my BF decided he was going to stop taking care of himself, I'd be seriously considering liberating HIM.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post

I dunno, I have seen so many single men get seriously desperate to have kids, in their late 30s.

And it's not like they can just go out and get a donor, like women can.

I think not having to quit your job in order to have kids is a big benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
::laughing::

Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I can think of a big one for me. When I'm single I tend to be very focused on dating and thinking about men--I've always been this way and at 54 I'm just as "boy crazy" as I was at 15. It sounds pathetic I know but I guess it's the way I'm made and I'm through trying to fight it--even when I try really hard to focus on my career I think about dating. But when I'm in a relationship all that goes away and my mind is free to focus on more important things and when I'm settled happily in a relationship I stop thinking about other men and my mind enjoys the break.
Oh, yes, that is a huge one, for me too!

Having a steady partner frees up so much time and energy!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Oh, yes, that is a huge one, for me too!

Having a steady partner frees up so much time and energy!
Huh? Totally opposite for me. I have so little freaking time in my relationship...it's my main issue with even being in a relationship. But then, I'm a rather independent sort.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh? Totally opposite for me. I have so little freaking time in my relationship...it's my main issue with even being in a relationship. But then, I'm a rather independent sort.
I agree with you. I think this highlights the difference between people who really want/need to be in a relationship and those who do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships