Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Yup.

Very sensible. A marriage with almost a temp to perm period.
I agree and that could be the modern engagement. Studies show that cohabitation prior to marriage correlates with divorce, but it doesn't include engaged couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM

306 posts, read 655,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Excellent post.

And I agree that the solution is for guys to date and marry women who make equal or more money than they do.
LOL, there are very few, I mean extremely few women that make as much as I do. First off, women on average make much less than men... due to their choice of more noble professions such as teaching. Then out of those who make a good amount their standards are ludicrously high, any woman who earns six figures is potentially looking to date men who make a lot more than her since women date "up" and these days they hold out for "substantially up"

Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
LOL, there are very few, I mean extremely few women that make as much as I do. First off, women on average make much less than men... due to their choice of more noble professions such as teaching. Then out of those who make a good amount their standards are ludicrously high, any woman who earns six figures is potentially looking to date men who make a lot more than her since women date "up" and these days they hold out for "substantially up"
The trend is changing and certainly to the measure of smaller differences (earning less than 100k). If you're already financially established, and obviously older, marriage, and certainly a second marriage, may not be a sound decision for you.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:03 AM

13,609 posts, read 9,644,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Likes tend to go with likes and this is across the board. Marriage rates are up for succesful people who tend to be highly educated, in professional careers, which is typical for certain personality types. So, it's valid advice for a segment of people.
It's eminently true that prevalence of marriage correlates positively with socioeconomic status. The poor tend not to marry. The wealthy marry, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, stay married. That's not a point of contention.

Neither do I dispute that like craves like. What I DO dispute is the matter of accessibility. Take Redrocket2's case. Where will he find a potential spouse with the same financial wherewithal as his? Manhattan? San Francisco? Great! But suppose that he owns a network oil refineries in West Texas? Or he's an executive with Caterpillar in Peoria? Where will he meet and mingle with people of comparable net-worth and level of education? Suppose that he's in his 50s. All of those upper-class people are still married, remember? Where will he find his darling bride? Maybe he sits on the board of Exxon-Mobil. What's he going to do - announce in the lounge after a board meeting, "Hey fellers, I say, any of ya'll got a daughter that I could marry?" He's going to marry down. He's going to make the best of the available opportunities.

Given that, he needs to protect himself.

But why should he marry at all? Ever been in a high-level business meeting? Look around the room. Focus your gaze on people's left hands. Are any hands lacking a wedding ring? Probably not. Probably not a single one.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:14 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's eminently true that prevalence of marriage correlates positively with socioeconomic status. The poor tend not to marry. The wealthy marry, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, stay married. That's not a point of contention.

Neither do I dispute that like craves like. What I DO dispute is the matter of accessibility. Take Redrocket2's case. Where will he find a potential spouse with the same financial wherewithal as his? Manhattan? San Francisco? Great! But suppose that he owns a network oil refineries in West Texas? Or he's an executive with Caterpillar in Peoria? Where will he meet and mingle with people of comparable net-worth and level of education? Suppose that he's in his 50s. All of those upper-class people are still married, remember? Where will he find his darling bride? Maybe he sits on the board of Exxon-Mobil. What's he going to do - announce in the lounge after a board meeting, "Hey fellers, I say, any of ya'll got a daughter that I could marry?" He's going to marry down. He's going to make the best of the available opportunities.

But why should he marry at all? Ever been in a high-level business meeting? Look around the room. Focus your gaze on people's left hands. Are any hands lacking a wedding ring? Probably not. Probably not a single one.
People should only get married if they truly WANT to get married. And it doesn't really sound like the OP truly wants to get married. I wouldn't advise someone to get married if their heart really isn't in it.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 PM

No offense against him, but I don't think it really matters. You're speaking of such a small minority of older people. I think they would be stupid to marry. Anyhow, the point stands for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_pHeasant View Post
It's eminently true that prevalence of marriage correlates positively with socioeconomic status. The poor tend not to m

arry. The wealthy marry, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, stay married. That's not a point of contention.

Neither do I dispute that like craves like. What I DO dispute is the matter of accessibility. Take Redrocket2's case. Where will he find a potential spouse with the saFuturist110me financial wherewithal as his? Manhattan? San Francisco? Great! But suppose that he owns a network oil refineries in West Texas? Or he's an executive with Caterpillar in Peoria? Where will he meet and mingle with people of comparable net-worth and level of education? Suppose that he's in his 50s. All of those upper-class people are still married, remember? Where will he find his darling bride? Maybe he sits on the board of Exxon-Mobil. What's he going to do - announce in the lounge after a board meeting, "Hey fellers, I say, any of ya'll got a daughter that I could marry?" He's going to marry down. He's going to make the best of the available opportunities.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:53 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,396,200 times
Quote:

Dude, you make $61K and are sweating the airfare to your best friend's wedding. You're not exactly Donald Trump.

//www.city-data.com/forum/perso...l#post31529043

Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 PM

809 posts, read 1,270,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Dude, you make $61K and are sweating the airfare to your best friend's wedding. You're not exactly Donald Trump.

That's just uncalled for. You just stalk people on their posting history?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,396,200 times
Hitting the post history button isn't exactly stalking. But it does provide some amusment to see someone saying that LOL,very few woman could possibly make 62K or over!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
That's just uncalled for. You just stalk people on their posting history?
How is it uncalled for? Actually, I think it was very, very called for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships