Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,652,375 times

Advertisements

Hopefully, the woman spoke up sometime in the first year (give or take) and was honest that she was looking to settle down.

Hopefully, the guy isn't stringing her along.

If both of these are true, an ultimatum will probably never be posed.

For the men who make flat "I'd dump her" statements: What is your alternate scenario? If a woman is in love with you, wants to marry you, and you are openly serious about her but years are passing without taking additional steps, what should she do?

Maybe she could do the proposing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
If a woman told you that she will not wait for you past the 2 year mark, meaning that if you do not propose by then you are history, how would you interpret it? Would you think that was reasonable? Or would you interpret it as meaning that you are not something worth enough to wait it out and that you are just replaceable with another man?

If a woman found the man of her dreams would she really put a timeline on a proposal? Especially if it's just 2 years? Or conversely, if a man does not propose within 2 years then is it reasonable to assume that he is just not that into her?
they tend to make decisions much easier for me

Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,944,891 times
Is this at the start of the relationship OP? Or when first dating?

I would see anyone putting a time limit demand on receiving a proposal for marriage at the start of a relationship as a red flag.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
For the men who make flat "I'd dump her" statements: What is your alternate scenario? If a woman is in love with you, wants to marry you, and you are openly serious about her but years are passing without taking additional steps, what should she do?

She could propose, as you said. Or just enjoy the relationship as it is. If there are no problems, why try to change it?

Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
She could propose, as you said. Or just enjoy the relationship as it is. If there are no problems, why try to change it?
Because, to her, not getting married IS a problem.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Is this at the start of the relationship OP? Or when first dating?

I would see anyone putting a time limit demand on receiving a proposal for marriage at the start of a relationship as a red flag.
I agree. I think 6 months to a year in would be a good time to discuss possible future scenarios.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,949,850 times
Quote:
If a woman told you that she will not wait for you past the 2 year mark, meaning that if you do not propose by then you are history, how would you interpret it? Would you think that was reasonable? Or would you interpret it as meaning that you are not something worth enough to wait it out and that you are just replaceable with another man?

If a woman found the man of her dreams would she really put a timeline on a proposal? Especially if it's just 2 years? Or conversely, if a man does not propose within 2 years then is it reasonable to assume that he is just not that into her?
Ultimatums are a deal breaker to me.
Most relationship therapists and professionals will state that in ultimatums in relationships for the most part are an unhealthy way to communicate wants and needs.

I suppose if a couple are dating for 10 years, it would be ok to say, "Are we getting married or what?"

But short of that, after having dealt with people that use ultimatums, I end a relationship quite quickly after an ultimatum. Some people say that using ultimatums are kind of like taking a relationship hostage.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Because, to her, not getting married IS a problem.

Then she should propose and try to fix what she perceives as a problem. Simple. The ultimatum is some passive aggressive crud.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,517,749 times
Quote:

I'm not sure how anyone can predict what it will be like in a few weeks or months, let alone two years, with anyone. I also get the desire to be married and plan for a family and not want to waste time on someone who can't commit.

Not knowing the circumstances (how long you've been together, what your views are on marriage, the health of the relationship), it's hard to say. I don't think waiting two years to get married is unreasonable, it's certainly not rushed. But I'm not a fan of ultimatums. She seems to think you're worth marrying, but not worth waiting for beyond the two year mark. I wouldn't take it personally. People want what they want. They key is in finding someone of like mind. If you're not ready, there is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't want someone to marry me because I pressured them into it.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
Quote:

Ultimatums are not good. But neither is stringing someone along for two years. Either the relationship is going somewhere or its not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships