Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,983,167 times

Advertisements

Alright, you two may need to go outside to settle this .

Raena, you know I think you are awesome . But I am surprised to hear you say that suggesting someone get support for their depression is offensive. I sure didn't mean it that way. And I'm kind of upset to see the perpetuation of an attitude that stigmatizes depression. That just makes it harder for people to heal.

Maybe you are right, and he lives in a subculture where that attitude is prevalent already. But, if so, I want to remind him that there are other ways of looking at stuff.

I dunno, this is just more of my wanting to find some kind of lever to budge the stuck and miserable guys here, get them some momentum in a funner direction.

(This is why, also, I did not go into a professional job as a counselor. I kind of suck at doing anything useful for people with depression and powerlessness patterns, and those are two of the most common problems in our culture.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:07 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,622,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That's an odd thing to say...It implies that you think people who had it after 35 never had it before then. I'm sure that's true for some, but I would hope most have it both before AND after 35.
There are quite a few posters here who have not had it yet.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,593,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I am surprised to hear you say that suggesting someone get support for their depression is offensive.
That is the part I can't get behind. It strikes me as so odd. I forget that there are still people out there who stigmatize mental illness and use childish made-up insulting names to describe diagnoses. That attitude is so 1950's in my world.

Depression is depression. Schizophrenia is schizophrenia. Both should be acknowledged and treated. "Skitzo" sounds like something kids call each other on a middle school playground.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 AM

11,079 posts, read 17,491,616 times
Gracious, I had a lady once tell me three good things about women over 50. They won't yell, they won't tell, and they're grateful as he**. lol
And she was over 50!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,721,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
When I was in my twenties I would meet someone and feel magic, getting into a relationship for a year work someone based upon passion and a positive outlook. It sounds crazy but honestly that type of relationship is no better not worse than any other.. Actually it may be a bit better. But it hasn't happened in years, so long I think maybe it will never happen again.

People over 35, have you met someone and felt magic, that giddy feeling which may or may not me true, when you've started dating someone now?
Yeah, the magic smacked me upside the head about a year ago, I felt giddy, giggly, couldn't wait to see him. I told him he made me feel 17 again. But the guy didn't feel the same way, he had some more playing to do "out there" so I let him go to do that. He said he couldn't return my feelings because he had been hurt very badly in his long term marriage that had ended.

That reminded me that the magic is still a possibility for me...so..GOD, Yes! I hope it happens again, real soon.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:14 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,975,408 times
Look at what kind of tangent my one post caused, and it was even related to the OP.

lol. I suppose I am the master of tangents on this forum, even when I'm not trying.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,800,441 times
Quote:
That is the part I can't get behind. It strikes me as so odd. I forget that there are still people out there who stigmatize mental illness and use childish made-up insulting names to describe diagnoses. That attitude is so 1950's in my world.

Depression is depression. Schizophrenia is schizophrenia. Both should be acknowledged and treated. "Skitzo" sounds like something kids call each other on a middle school playground.
Lighten up teacher on the net.
I didn't like the assumption that were given when you truly don't know a person. And you have assumptions with me as well.

I was half joking and telling someone that they went too far.

And if you didn't understand the normal everyday social skills, I clearly believe you are antisocial. Am I correct?

Oh wait did I just assume?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
There are quite a few posters here who have not had it yet.
That's why I said "most" and not "all."

Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Lighten up teacher on the net.
I didn't like the assumption that were given when you truly don't know a person. And you have assumptions with me as well.

I was half joking and telling someone that they went too far.

And if you didn't understand the normal everyday social skills, I clearly believe you are antisocial. Am I correct?

Oh wait did I just assume?
Huh? Now you're just blathering incoherently. Please go back to your urban dictionary and your childish trashy insults for the mentally ill. Grownups are talking here, and you're getting in the way.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:46 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,800,441 times
Quote:
Huh? Now you're just blathering incoherently. Please go back to your urban dictionary and your childish trashy insults for the mentally ill. Grownups are talking here, and you're getting in the way.
I don't see one. And it's a public forum. So suck it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships