Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Yes but many women complain about lack of decent guys and most who message them are unattractive.

So if the odds online are so terrible for those women, why are they still on POF/okcupid etc?
I have a theory. Basically, women get more messages on average than men do. So even if 95% of it is "boobs plz" or similar drivel, there will be that remaining five percent that meets her (usually inflated) standards. Since online dating requires comparatively little time and energy, she can afford to sit back and let the messages roll in, and eventually find dates. Depending on her attractiveness and on the geographical context, that may happen in a few weeks, or perhaps a few months, but the point is it is viable in a way that it is not for a man in the world of OLD. There's little to no downside to online dating for a woman other than the minor hassle of updating or checking one's inbox every so often, and it's not like she can't look for guys offline while doing it either. Even if there's alot of bad messages a quick scan through every week for an hour or so will usually suss out the gems, unless we're talking literally hundreds of messages a day, in which case more husbanding would be required (it's still a better downside to have than having no responses at all.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,412,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroh View Post
Reference the recent thread about 80% of men being found undesirable by women. No matter what, unless they went to a male model dating event (if they have such a thing) women are likely to find a large percentage of men unattractive at first glance, and with online dating they can afford to be picky and not give unattractive men to them a chance.
If a guy has money. Women will overlook certain things they are usually turned off by.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 PM

663 posts, read 777,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
If you want to win the lotto you have to play. If you don't try you will never know.
Lotto players don't complain about how they never win. They've accepted the odds already.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,407,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I have a theory. Basically, women get more messages on average than men do. So even if 95% of it is "boobs plz" or similar drivel, there will be that remaining five percent that meets her (usually inflated) standards. Since online dating requires comparatively little time and energy, she can afford to sit back and let the messages roll in, and eventually find dates. Depending on her attractiveness and on the geographical context, that may happen in a few weeks, or perhaps a few months, but the point is it is viable in a way that it is not for a man in the world of OLD. There's little to no downside to online dating for a woman other than the minor hassle of updating or checking one's inbox every so often, and it's not like she can't look for guys offline while doing it either. Even if there's alot of bad messages a quick scan through every week for an hour or so will usually suss out the gems, unless we're talking literally hundreds of messages a day, in which case more husbanding would be required (it's still a better downside to have than having no responses at all.)
LOL...why so scientific? My online experience has surprisingly been comparable to offline.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
LOL...why so scientific? My online experience has surprisingly been comparable to offline.
Hold on...so majority of guys who hit on you are unattractive and you are holding yourself for that coveted 20%?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Lotto players don't complain about how they never win. They've accepted the odds already.
Honestly the ladies and gentlemen complain for many reasons. They have issues themselves or disappointment can take a toll on anyone. It's extremely frustrating.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,407,600 times
Quote:
Hold on...so majority of guys who hit on you are unattractive and you are holding yourself for that coveted 20%?
noo dude. I attract quite a mixed bag, regardless of where I've met guys.

That, and I'm not interested in mister 6 pack. Never really have been. I just want someone healthy and nice to be around. My last boyfriend (who I met online) was mister 6 pack. he was not for me, at all, but he approached me and gave him a chance.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Honestly the ladies and gentlemen complain for many reasons. They have issues themselves or disappointment can take a toll on anyone. It's extremely frustrating.
Exactly. I am questioning why complaining. It is irrational.

It is like me going to a lesbian bar trying to find women and complaining about lack of women giving me attention. Reality is odds are, I will probably be going home with no numbers 99% of the time.

Just like if you go online, odds are 95% of guys are undesirable.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,023 times
Quote:

Average people have a lottery mentality. Rich people have an action mentality. Sergey Brin $18.7 Billion

the same thing goes for dating as well IMO.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Default Explain how most guys online are undesirable...

In my other thread, I made the proposition that we if accept that most guys on the internet are "undesirable".

Here is the thing. I don't even agree with that statement. Upon looking at POF for my city, here are some of the guys in the first 3 pages (no bias)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/vUZONrq.png[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/SM1Ev7e.png[/img]

[image]http://i.imgur.com/jgUbMH8.png[/image]

How are these guys undesirable? I think these guys are pretty attractive (no homo) and I would average it out to 7/10.

If those guys messaged you with something simple like, "oh hey how is it going? You enjoy hiking? Well, there's a nice trail at XYZ I haven't conquered yet! "...You will simply ignore them?

Are the pickings really that slim or are the standards too high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships