Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times

Advertisements

To meet someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
While I get contacted more often by men who aren't my type, I've had good success with such sites. Well, I've met interesting and great people. Two serious relationships started as a result of OKC, and I briefly dated a few others. And I've dated some I met from PoF.

I much prefer OKC. It is the best of the dating sites, at least to me. I also think one only attracts what they put out. I try to attract those very similar to me, cerebral/intellectual and creative types. My profiles do a fine job of weeding out the undesirables.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:11 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Its agreed amongst women that most guys (95%+) who message you on OKCupid/POF are boring, dull, ugly, no career, no outlook, no personality etc

Correct?

Ok let's agree for argument's sake.

So then why do you still go online and make a profile and then complain about getting hit on by undesirable guys?

Seems pretty counter intuitive...

I do pretty horribly at bars/nightclubs. Thus, I stopped trying to get with girls at nightclubs. If I do go, it would be with friends and I would never complain about lack of attention because I have already accepted the odds.
I have only used Match, and if it were part of your thread, I would not agree with it.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
In my other thread, I made the proposition that we if accept that most guys on the internet are "undesirable".

Here is the thing. I don't even agree with that statement. Upon looking at POF for my city, here are some of the guys in the first 3 pages (no bias)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/vUZONrq.png[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/SM1Ev7e.png[/img]

[image]http://i.imgur.com/jgUbMH8.png[/image]

How are these guys undesirable? I think these guys are pretty attractive (no homo) and I would average it out to 7/10.

If those guys messaged you with something simple like, "oh hey how is it going? You enjoy hiking? Well, there's a nice trail at XYZ I haven't conquered yet! "...You will simply ignore them?

Are the pickings really that slim or are the standards too high?
Some of them are actually pretty attractive. But I don't judge desirability based on appearance alone. And if I received a message like that I likely would ignore it. If one desires to grab another's attention, especially in the online medium, one has to actually put in the effort and be more creative with their first message.

For those who are truly interested in me, my profile actually invites them to respond in such a way that tells me they read my profile. Or that they greatly enjoyed it. My "type" does this. Others, well, it's mostly lost on them. Hence why I crafted it that way.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM

769 posts, read 976,948 times
I have met some really nice guys on the personals and met some total whack jobs. I meet the same variety in person also. What I am looking for is different compared to other women. I want to find someone AT MY LEVEL. I am not a sugar momma, I have my own successfull career, my own hobbies and interests, my own set of friends etc. I am not looking for someone to be attached to my hip. The men that are situation usually are not used to a woman like that and get freaked out. They are used SAVE me woman. I don't need saving..I can bail myself out of trouble.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I'm not disagreeing on the pics aren't exactly eye catching, but it's hard for any person to convey the "perfect" pictures online. What one woman may like, two others will hate. What's so hard for most men, is they likely dumb down their profile pics, because they don't see much better from women.
The men I'm matched with in the upper 80's to high 90's on OKC actually put effort into choosing good photos. It appears as if a lot of the younger men, especially on PoF, are clueless about composition and what makes for a good photo.

Many dumb down their photos and their profile, on both ends. At least with OKC, that I have found, its matching system has been accurate and those I am matched with are actually desirable, both aesthetically and intellectually.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
I have seen plenty of hunks online.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:41 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
I have met some really nice guys on the personals and met some total whack jobs. I meet the same variety in person also. What I am looking for is different compared to other women. I want to find someone AT MY LEVEL. I am not a sugar momma, I have my own successfull career, my own hobbies and interests, my own set of friends etc. I am not looking for someone to be attached to my hip. The men that are situation usually are not used to a woman like that and get freaked out. They are used SAVE me woman. I don't need saving..I can bail myself out of trouble.
I dont have one guy friend that your bolded statement is true to my knowledge.

Just saying.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for some of these initial meets in which it is established that guys can't handle a successful woman. Is there kryptonite in your bag that makes guys lose their mind?

Again, I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall.

Wasn't there a reality show featuring successful adults who had really really bad relationship skills? I forget the name of the program. I think they should show a couple episodes of that in every sociology high school class in the country. "People, this is how NOT to act."

Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM

663 posts, read 778,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Some of them are actually pretty attractive. But I don't judge desirability based on appearance alone. And if I received a message like that I likely would ignore it. If one desires to grab another's attention, especially in the online medium, one has to actually put in the effort and be more creative with their first message.

For those who are truly interested in me, my profile actually invites them to respond in such a way that tells me they read my profile. Or that they greatly enjoyed it. My "type" does this. Others, well, it's mostly lost on them. Hence why I crafted it that way.

So basically for someone to get your attention, they need to have good looks AND a witty/creative message before you give them your attention?

And what do you bring to the table?

Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM

769 posts, read 976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I dont have one guy friend that your bolded statement is true to my knowledge.
Sometimes it takes a few months to materialize. The problem is what happens is if I have a day of meetings and can't take phone calls they have gotten really mad. Sent nasty text messages and when they find out I was in meetings are like well I thought you were ignoring me. Um no. If you keep acting like that YES I will ignore you and I tell them that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships