Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 PM

105 posts, read 126,891 times

Advertisements

Is this common amongst unattached twenty-somethings? Feels like all is going well except romantic relationships for me...

Is the best way just to go out more and try harder to get to know more people/ expand social circle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 PM

99 posts, read 215,592 times
Start approaching hot girls, be confident

Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,400,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlawn1 View Post
Is this common amongst unattached twenty-somethings? Feels like all is going well except romantic relationships for me...

Is the best way just to go out more and try harder to get to know more people/ expand social circle?
The most ultimate, joyful, sensational, SPECTACULAR way to navigate dating in your 20s, 30s, 40s, yada yada... is to ENJOY yourself.

NOURISH yourself.

When you are happy with being alone, when you are yourself and comfortable in your own skin, you radiate and attract those who like you for you. The world seems less of a lonely place.

Let your colors shine!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,495,521 times
Quote:

Ah, now I see why you were asking in your other thread for "career women" to give you advice.

It really can be tough at your age and stage of life to connect with people sometimes, so I'm sorry you are feeling lonely.

This is just one of those stages people have to go through sometimes, so try not to be too discouraged okay?

Expanding your social circle does increase your odds of meeting women to date - but also consider expanding your life in general.

What I mean is, get more involved in a few volunteer efforts. You'd be surprised how much easier it can be to meet people when you share a common interest, goal or passion.

So, what are you "passionate" about?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 AM

76 posts, read 89,499 times
Focus on your career above everything else. Your 20s are the best time to do this. Apart from that, appreciate the joy of getting to do whatever you want without second opinions. Go out at night and have a blast.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,018,791 times
No, aside from craving affection at times I rely don't get lonely except for the times when I'm hanging out with a friend and their significant other. That's awkward.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 AM

855 posts, read 1,381,561 times
Quote:

Work on your outer presentation first and foremost. People will warm up to you when they see a natural shine emanating from you. Put yourself in different environments where single people gather and converse. You may need to work on your social skills but they key thing is to make a move with confidence.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM

645 posts, read 1,273,757 times
Quote:
Is the best way just to go out more and try harder
I spent my first years out of high school stuck in the Marine Corps mostly stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. Upon finally getting away from that, I worked in a saw mill or a factory all through my 20s. I worked so much, and I didn't drink at all, so I had neither the time nor inclination to hang around in bars. When I didn't have a girlfriend, I suffered through some of the loneliest nights on record. Days as well! I was largely isolated in a factory working 60 - 80 hours per week with men old enough to be my fathers and grandfathers.

Then one day I bumped into an old high school friend of mine, who was a DJ, who'd just gotten out of the Air Force, and he worked in a club outside of Harrisburg. We eventually became roommates, and I couldn't believe the women this man got, so, I became a DJ at several local clubs for the sole purpose of meeting women. I cut back my overtime hours at the factory on Thursday - Sunday, worked part time at the clubs, and I was immersed in a scene where more than 1,000 people paid the cover to enter the place each night. In short order, I found far too many attractive women I'd dreamed about having my entire life coming to me. It was probably the worst move in my life because it set up a demand for something I was completely unprepared to deal with.

I wish that I'd have tried volunteering instead! I quit the club jobs in my early 30s for personal reasons, and volunteered a lot for a cause I believed in. There I met both a lot of romantic and platonic interests. Unfortunately, the club scene largely ruined me for the next decade, so I turned every romantic interest away.

Another thing I wished I'd have tried in my 20s rather than the club was a class or two per semester at the local community college. I began attending when I was 40ish, and I was shocked by the number of early 20s women who were willing to date and brought their intentions to my step. Thankfully, most of the 18 - 32 year old women didn't interest me, and unfortunately, the remaining who were appropriately aged were already taken, but I think a lot of that has to do with my personal likes and emotional trauma that I carried with me.

It's not all about women finding you as hunky beefcake arm candy or charming, I am quite average looking, tall, but average looking, and my obvious wit and charm are probably more abrasive than not... However, I never asked women out, they always came to me. Granted they got crazy as I aged, but when I was 20 something, I just placed myself in positions where I was surround by women, and they came to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "trying harder." It's quite an ambiguous statement. I've found that when I approached women in my youth, they were almost always put off, it's "Shields up" and all that. It requires exponentially more charming and wooing of a defensive woman that one who's willingly talking to or has approached me first. The only time I was ever able to approach women and overtly flirt right off the cuff was while I was a DJ at a gay club. The girls just assumed I was a poofter, so their defenses were down, way down, and they were almost completely vulnerable to the only straight man roaming about. Well, there were actually two types of scenarios where I could pull off approaching women and flirting with them. The first was at the "alternative lifestyle club, and the second would be Hispanic clubs, functions, and the like. Despite my name, I'm a white man who's a little too fond, well was a little too fond of women. I learned the Spanish language because I found a lot of Hispanic women were really "charmed" to find a white man speaking their language. I have a "Cute accent..."

What I learned to do from my Air Force friend was to surround myself with women, make curt casual contact, and let them come to me. Ironically, of those dreamy women I lusted for during my teens and early 20s, I found that despite them having near perfect bodies and faces most really weren't that attractive after all. Average girls generally had a lot less baggage, and therefore were phenomenally more attractive überall. It's funny how the grass is always...

greenlaw1, I hope you find a like minded girl to while away the hours and share your 20s with.

Best of luck,
bolillo

Author's note: Written by an emotional cripple, thus, the aforementioned have been my experiences and not necessarily the truth or norm if you will. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-08-2013 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,914,439 times
Quote:

That is a very good way. Meet a lot of people... Young and old, guy and girl. Eventually someone will pop up in those circle of friends.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,495,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That is a very good way. Meet a lot of people... Young and old, guy and girl. Eventually someone will pop up in those circle of friends.
Yep, the more people you meet the better your chances of meeting someone you want to date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships