Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Nothing to be done here but I guess I just need confirmation. At time time, I was new to town (I've since moved 1,000 miles away). We were only dating for two months, but they were great. She woke up one day and said "I don't want to do this anymore. I am so stressed between work and school." Between work, school (which didn't start for another 9 months!) and the relationship, she felt stressed out. "I just need some time to process". She said. "Process what?" I thought. She tried to justify her decision further by asking "don't you find it weird we never fight? Jess and her bf fight all the time." I didn't find it weird at all. It was healthy. Well, we cut contact. A few days later she called me telling me how she made a mistake and I was the best thing to ever happen to her. She asked for me back. I said "sure! as long as you go to home to meet my family with me". She said that she couldn't. This was the third time that "something" came up or some exuse for her not to meet my family. They lived 600 miles away. I know a little more effort went into meeting them vs her family, which were 50 miles. This was right around the holidays, and I planned a trip after Christmas to see my family. The first time it was due to school. She would be all in favor of going, and even acted as if she was exicted to meet my family. A day or two before we'd be scheduled to leave (driving), *something* would come up. It was the same this time. "I want to stay home and cook dinner with my mom". Really? You can do that anytime. It was the same thing with friends. I would go out and meet her friends with her for drinks or ice cream, but she never had any desire to meet mine. Again, something would come up!

I have spent several days with her family, and even her extended family, but she couldn't go, even for a few days to meet mine. I was upset and disapointed. We decided to go our own ways. It was hard to look in the corner of my room and see her Xmas presents stacked up. It was just days before Christmas. Why would someone be dead-set on not meeting the other's family? I could understand if she met them, felt uncomfortable around them and didn't want to see them again. As heart-breaking as that would've been, I could've delt with that. We cut contact for a few months and then I saw she added me on Facebook. She wanted to do the whole "friends" thing, but I couldn't do that. I did add her on Facebook, but that was it. When she learned that I was moving (something I wanted to do for a while), she was shocked. Happy for me, but shocked. She wanted to meet one last time. We had lunch, it was fun. There were no feelings there (on her side, at least).

Last night I was cleaning up my Facebook and deleted her. I noticed a few months ago she got into a relationship. My heart sunk. Despite what she did to me, I was disapointed. Maybe, if I was seeing someone too, it wouldn't been so bad. I guess I just need to get this off my chest. If anyone has any advice, words of wisdom or "you were right for not taking her back" type of things.

Last edited by leadingedge04; 11-11-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times
You know what? If this relationship had what it needed to make it for the long haul, it would have. Sounds like you were only ever lukewarm in your feelings about her or you wouldn't have hinged things on such an extreme ultimatum about her needing to travel 600 miles to meet your family when you'd only been dating for two months. Sounds like she was only lukewarm about you or she wouldn't have gotten cold feet in the first place. People who truly love each other and/or truly see a future are willing to put aside their own wants for the good of the relationship. Neither of you were willing to do that here, so it sounds like neither of you really cared for the other "enough." You wanted things done your way. She wanted them done hers. She'll be happier with someone more like her, and with time, so will you.

As to why someone wouldn't want to meet the others' family? I think you are framing it incorrectly in your head. Did you ever bring your parents to the town where she/you were living and ask her to meet them? Sounds like the issue was that they were 600 miles away. That's a HUGE distance away! And you guys had only been dating two months! My husband's family lives that far from where we met and even though I was crazy about my (future) husband, I did not travel to meet them until we had been dating for 9 months. He would go home without me until that time. Two months is just REALLY early for something that huge. My parents lived at the time in the same town, so he had gotten to meet them. It is simply different to go out to dinner with someone for an hour or two than to make a huge out of state trip. HUGE.

I would write this off to a simple mismatch. Sometimes the "almost" mismatches are the hardest ones to take. Chin up.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Last night I was cleaning up my Facebook and deleted her. I noticed a few months ago she got into a relationship. My heart sunk. Despite what she did to me, I was disapointed. Maybe, if I was seeing someone too, it wouldn't been so bad. I guess I just need to get this off my chest. If anyone has any advice, words of wisdom or "you were right for not taking her back" type of things.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
It sounds like she had some commitment issues and so yes, you did the right thing. You were only together 2 months and it's been a year since then, time to let go. Maybe you're only disappointed because she might have worked out her commitment issues and it wasn't with you, or because she's moved on but you're not seeing anyone right now. Neither of those things lower your self worth though.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post

You have no ideas how many guys deleted me on social media networks. LOL after knowing I got into a relationship. =)

But they all realize it is great that they deleted me LOL Time heals all wounds. (most at least) You made a right decision. No need to dwell on the could've would've should've. Time to move on. There will be a new girl waiting for you. No worries.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Thanks for the advice I do feel better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships