Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 AM

20,729 posts, read 19,909,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Yeah the person who shows up not looking like their pic is more common than I would like to admit. I have gone on so many dates, that I was given a compliment for actually looking like my picture. Sad state of affairs, when you have to thank someone for looking their actual picture.

I have made the same experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,271,840 times
two bad if not disastrous dates stick out

one girl who I chatted to online for a month answered " yes or no " to every single question I asked during the date , amazingly she emailed me three days later to say the date went well

another date , the girl looked completely different in the flesh to her profile pic but that wasn't the worst part , she was half an hour late and came across as a pot head despite claiming to be a school teacher

Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,609,312 times
Loving these stories! Thank you for everyone who commented!

Quote:
lol, i'm confused as to what he was trying to accomplish by going on a date with a woman, when as you stated, he is clearly a homosexual.
That's a damn good question and I wish I could answer you!

Quote:
I have given up on internet dating. I met more than 30 guys within the last year and could write a book about it.

About 10% were like they presented themselves on the dating site.

Worst date was with the guy who was so shy that he could hardly talk to me, but then bombarded me afterwards with penis pics and dirty texts. I couldnt get rid of him for a month. I got 5 AM texts sounding like that "LOL, woke up with a huge boner, what should I do about it?".

UGH.

Or the 49 year old guy who looked like a 65 year old guy with a bad facelift and his immature texts that had LOL's in every sentence.

Or the guy who wanted me to sell my house and move in with him 10 minutes after we met. He was mad when I said, "let's date a few times first".

NO MORE!!
I'm seriously LQTM (laughing quietly to myself - at the office)! That's some true horror! I also experienced the dirty pic guy who never wanted to meet up, but was constantly asking for pics. When I called him out on it, he called me a drama queen.

Also relate to your story about the guy being 15+ years older than his pic! I went out on a date with this one guy who claimed he was 36 and he was obviously in his 50's or making some seriously poor lifestyle choices.

Then there was the lawyer. Out of the blue he said how he refused to use condoms! (We weren't even talking about sex!)

Online dating is an incredible s**t show!

Last edited by Ragazza2011; 11-12-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM

That was just a fraction of my experience.

When the creep guy who wanted me to sell the house during the first date (which lasted an hour, because I couldnt wait to get away) texted me a day later, I answered "I am superbusy, put my house on the market, might be sold next week. Does your landlord allow dogs?" I had a nice chuckle.

His answer got me goose bumps "FANTASTIC!! Can't wait to live with my best friend, lover and soulmate".

And no kidding - Met that guy ONCE for an HOUR and before that, we exchanged about 3 short emails. So pretty much, he was a TOTAL stranger to me.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,609,312 times
Quote:
When the creep guy who wanted me to sell the house during the first date (which lasted an hour, because I couldnt wait to get away) texted me a day later, I answered "I am superbusy, put my house on the market, might be sold next week. Does your landlord allow dogs?" I had a nice chuckle.
Hilarious! Good for you...gotta have fun in the process or it's just not worth it. Thankfully my cell provider has the block number option. It's crazy out there!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 AM

893 posts, read 1,205,529 times
I tried internet dating for like a year. It helped me get a good understanding of both what I was looking and (just as importantly) what I wasn't. About a year after I had stopped trying online dating, I met my future wife and immediately "knew". That might not have been the case if it hadn't been for all the bad online dates I'd gone on. lol

Here were a few of the worst ones:

This one girl's boyfriend had apparently been killed in the army, so she was trying to start dating again, but clearly was not ready. Everything we talked about at dinner quickly reverted to "he and I used to do [something similar to whatever was just brought up]". I did feel bad for her, but it was hard to build any interest hearing her talk about her ex the entire night.

Had a similar experience with a girl who had recently been divorced. She kept bringing up her ex the entire time. Not fun.

Another girl seemed nice and normal, but I took her to a movie and she had the most annoying laugh I've ever heard. To top it off, she laughed at parts where NO ONE ELSE would laugh, so it would just be her and her annoying (loud) laugh. We had arrived late, so we were way in the back and after the movie ended I could see people looking around to try and see who the "annoying girl" was. Didn't call her back... lol

Yet another girl - we went out like 2-3 times and then she slept with me. She didn't stay the night, but I woke up later than normal and in the rush of trying to get to work on time, I forgot my cell phone at home. When I got back after work I had 28 texts from her! They started out "hey how are you? I had fun last night " and slowly progressed into "what is your problem? Why aren't you responding?" eventually getting to "you're a ****ing *******, I hate you". I had been planning to continue seeing her, but after that text barrage I figured I was probably better off ending it there. I didn't respond at all, fearing that if I did it would somehow cause us to meet again, and then I'd eventually wake up to her holding a knife over me or something. lol

Finally, I was a terrible date once. She mentioned that she liked Italian food when we were messaging each other, so I suggested we go to nearby Fazoli's for our first date. Now, I had never been to a Fazoli's, I had just heard it was "italian food", and I had known a guy in college who "loved it", so I was under the assumption that it was good and similar to Olive Garden or something. Nope, it was basically like Burger King's version of "Italian" - awful. Once we walked in, I felt so embarrassed for suggesting that we go there that it just threw me off completely and I could hardly come up with any decent conversation the entire night. I also apologized several times for picking it. Needless to say, she never called ME back. lol

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 11-12-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Oh, and I just remember another funny one.

Wanted to meet a guy for a first date. The day of the date he says, "sorry, i can't come, my gf won't allow it". HUH? I answered "Stupid me - thinking to meet SINGLE people on a SINGLE site". He answered that he was single but just made up with his gf again. And how about we all three meet? She is bisexual ...

I declined with the answer "No thanks, call me when you are single".
He did - 4 weeks later. I said "let me guess - she dumped you yesterday". His answer "No, actually this morning. She left me for my wife." HUH?????

Yeah, he was separated, met the bisexual girl shortly afterwards, and she then got in contact with his wife.

Go figure ...

Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,811,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I decided to give Internet dating (OkCupid) another shot. Upon meeting my date, it was glaringly obvious he was a closeted homosexual. (Nothing wrong with being gay, except I want to date a straight man! I even checked his profile after the date to make sure he identified himself as "straight" and I didn't misunderstand.) I deleted my account after this date and have permanently given up on Internet dating. Misery loves company - let's hear your most horrific, terrible, Internet dating stories!
That sounds like a guy I met on Okcupid. He acted extremely feminine like over the top, I'm not kidding. His voice was higher pitched than mine. The only way you could actually tell he was straight was that he bragged about how sex with his 19-year old ex was "friggin' fantastic!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I have a side question for the ladies: What would catch your interest to talk to someone online?
A detailed profile of your interests, having things in common with me and not mentioning sex or sexual needs at all. (I mean it's pretty obvious most of us want sex at some point).

Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,518,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Oh, and I just remember another funny one.

Wanted to meet a guy for a first date. The day of the date he says, "sorry, i can't come, my gf won't allow it". HUH? I answered "Stupid me - thinking to meet SINGLE people on a SINGLE site". He answered that he was single but just made up with his gf again. And how about we all three meet? She is bisexual ...

I declined with the answer "No thanks, call me when you are single".
He did - 4 weeks later. I said "let me guess - she dumped you yesterday". His answer "No, actually this morning. She left me for my wife." HUH?????

Yeah, he was separated, met the bisexual girl shortly afterwards, and she then got in contact with his wife.

Go figure ...
HA! Top ten story I may have ever read

Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,384,109 times
I only had two "bad" experiences, but they weren't all that bad compared to others.

The first one was with the first guy I had agreed to meet from online (mIRC as webpages weren't all that abundant back then. ) He easily had 10 years on me (he was in his early 30s.) We agreed to meet at TGIFridays for dinner. He told me to look for "the guy with the really loud shirt." I had seen photos of him, but they were small & fuzzy scanned images (intentionally I suspect), as digital cameras hadn't come onto the market yet.

We met in the vestibule and he wasn't kidding about the shirt. He was proud of it. I was embarrassed. We ate and then afterwards I tried to politely bail. He was insistent on taking me out for ice cream in his new convertible. Being young and fairly new to dating in general (I was probably 19/20), I reluctantly agreed. He didn't tell me the ice cream place was well over an hour away. As we were driving he started putting his hands on my leg. I told him I didn't like to be touched. Then he decided to show me his favorite place...a desolate boat yard (now it's dark, late in the evening and I have no clue where we are.) I just kept trying to find road signs in case I had to make a quick escape and call my dad. Finally we made it to the Hamptons for ice cream. He kept asking if he could hold my hand while we were walking down the street. It was awkward...for me anyway. He didn't seem the least bothered, especially since he continued to pursue me for more than 6 months afterwards, despite my flat out telling him I wasn't interested.

The 2nd one was from an online match making site and I was 23/24 at the time. I made the foolish mistake of not asking for photos, despite him seeing several images of me. He wanted to meet me even though he lived over almost 7 hours away. I warned him that if there was no chemistry, I wasn't going to lie and lead him on. He didn't seem to care and pushed to drive up anyway. We arranged to meet up at a parking lot in an area I was very familiar with. He pulled up and I knew right away that there wasn't going to be any chemistry (He was nothing like he made himself out to be. I don't know if he intentionally lied to me or if he truly believed he was something he wasn't. ) I flat out told him there was no connection, bought him lunch at Burger King and sent him packing. Even after that he still kept writing me, writing songs for me, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships