Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,970 times

Advertisements

Hey all, been doing real well with my new life in Seattle the last 3 months since I moved and i've been on more dates I have in last few months then I have in years.

Some of the dates have gone better then others, but its been enjoyable and real opening to see maturity and life out look differences between women from their early 20's i've dated to the much more mature, strict and less flexible career oriented women in their 30's like me.

Anyway, for many personal reasons which I will not get into or waste time with explaining, I pretty much decided a few years ago and have cemented it this year that I will never have the desire and want to raise children and become a father. I"ll be turning 34 mid next year and plan on having a vasectomy to finalize my decision on this.

That being said, I need some input on how and when should I bring up my decision about not wanting children and my surgery while im seeing someone? I still haven't gotten a good feel of how "soon" I should bring it up and possibly not enjoy a new date at all if I bring it up during first meeting with someone. But im also worried about the upset and heartache of bringing it up too "late" in being in a relationship with a lady. Should I somehow bring the subject up in casual conversation before I even ask for phone number or would that be even worse then bringing it up later after a date or two?

Thoughts would be appreciated. And no, don't bother wasting internet bandwith trying to change/alter my mind, it won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
If you are doing online dating, that's easy -- put it in your profile. Screen out the girls who want babies.

With someone you met first IRL, I'd say second or third date, not first. Unless she mentions wanting kids on the first date (I have dated guys who did this).

To me, the purpose of the first date is just to decide if you want a second date . Then the purpose of the next few dates is to decide if you want to try out a relationship and see how that goes. So that's the time to bring up any dealbreakers. And before sex!

Old 11-11-2013, 11:34 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,970 times
Yes, well, online dating has its own issues besides the nice filtering mechanism. This is more in regards to face to face interaction and dating scene

Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Yes, well, online dating has its own issues besides the nice filtering mechanism. This is more in regards to face to face interaction and dating scene
You got that my post was mostly about NON online dating, right?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 AM

348 posts, read 498,325 times
Your family may be more upset then anyone. Lol

Idk by the third date maybe, bring up that a friend had a baby and slide into the fact you won't and go from there.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Hey all, been doing real well with my new life in Seattle the last 3 months since I moved and i've been on more dates I have in last few months then I have in years.

Some of the dates have gone better then others, but its been enjoyable and real opening to see maturity and life out look differences between women from their early 20's i've dated to the much more mature, strict and less flexible career oriented women in their 30's like me.

Anyway, for many personal reasons which I will not get into or waste time with explaining, I pretty much decided a few years ago and have cemented it this year that I will never have the desire and want to raise children and become a father. I"ll be turning 34 mid next year and plan on having a vasectomy to finalize my decision on this.

That being said, I need some input on how and when should I bring up my decision about not wanting children and my surgery while im seeing someone? I still haven't gotten a good feel of how "soon" I should bring it up and possibly not enjoy a new date at all if I bring it up during first meeting with someone. But im also worried about the upset and heartache of bringing it up too "late" in being in a relationship with a lady. Should I somehow bring the subject up in casual conversation before I even ask for phone number or would that be even worse then bringing it up later after a date or two?

Thoughts would be appreciated. And no, don't bother wasting internet bandwith trying to change/alter my mind, it won't work.
The sooner the better AT. As Nila said, be sure it's in your online dating profile.

Mention it casually in general conversation from the beginning and this way all women know from the git go where you stand and can't be surprised or disappointed after they've begun to invest emotionally in you

Old 11-12-2013, 06:03 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times
The devil never had a child either, but God did. Coincidence? I'll let ya draw your own conclusions... (Insert evil grin here)

Sigh, we need more emoticons

Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,329 times
She'll beat you to the punch since women are sensitive to that issue .

Old 11-12-2013, 06:32 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The sooner the better AT. As Nila said, be sure it's in your online dating profile.

Mention it casually in general conversation from the beginning and this way all women know from the git go where you stand and can't be surprised or disappointed after they've begun to invest emotionally in you
What she ^ said. Definitely NOT something to wait on.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I think it comes up pretty easily sooner, rather than later on it's very own. As others have mentioned with online dating, it is very easy to let people know that in your own profile. But you seem to prefer 'regular' meeting of people.

While people urge people not to talk about their children early on in the first few dates, it is going to happen. People are going to tell you about their children, or their want to have children.

I certainly wouldn't let a woman become vested in a relationship with you without them knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships