Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:15 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,650,344 times

Advertisements

just putting this out there for discussion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 11:18 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,314,527 times
for humans, it's what is right. From an evolutionary standpoint it's suicide without a large population. It's also instincually noticable for guys to go around and spread their seed with as many as possible.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:05 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,191,098 times
I think it's natural for some, unnatural for others.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:16 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,313,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I think it's natural for some, unnatural for others.
Word.

Humans are so complex and so individual, you really can't give a universal answer to that type of question.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,844,861 times
I think with maturity and the right person monogamy is natural.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,346 times
Some species of birds and mammals mate for life to the point that they die alone if their mate is killed or dies off somehow prematurely, so monogamy in nature exists. So by definition since it occurs within the realm of nature it is natural. With humans it is a question of choice and committment. It is within a values system some hold to some do not. At one time it was thought shameful to have relations outside the marriage. To live together, as early as the 1970s was lude behavior. But human nature proves the more we do a thing the easier it becomes whether it be convenient or not.

I remember going to see Jaws and Natural Born Killers on the big screen. Both times I became physically sick 20 minutes into the movie so horrified and disgusted I was. Today with comparable movies I may occassionally turn my head.

Sexually I'm not obliged mentally to endulge in free sex nor infidelity. When I was single the thought of going to bed with several partners was disgusting to me. I felt cheapened even at the thought of it, though strangely enough there was a certain exhiliration as well, so I know that the capacity is there latent though it may be. Today in a committed relationship even if I encounter someone I'm sexually attracted to the thought of carrying out a trist leaves me with a heart sick feeling I do not care to experience in reality. Conversely I'm comforted and pleased with the familiarity of my significant other and relish in the fact that I have someone to share with who knows me. I have not separated sex and intimacy. My heart is in the expression of my sexuality (thought not just the act of sex) where others can separate the two quite easily. Sex is a mere bodily function for them to be gratified with whomever is available at the time, so committment and companionship do not necessarily include the sex act and vice versa. This mentality is obviously achieved through practice, whether willingly or not. It is a reinterpretation of the values of one's body and that of the other against the traditional mores placed on the American social construct from earliest times. Though it has grown in complexity through the decades with the proliferation of the mulitmedia there persists a general consensus that monogamy remains the most convenient sexual relationship, and the IDEAL of a happy life. It is played out in our books, plays, movies and daily encounters with sufficient regularity for it to be true just from practical observation.

Last edited by calumetman; 09-15-2007 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-15-2007, 07:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,488,472 times
Is monogamy natural?

When I was in my 20's, I would have answered "No! And it's really hard to do! "

Skip ahead and I'm closer to 40, my answer is "I don't know, and I don't care anymore - one is enough! "

Old 09-16-2007, 12:05 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,522,557 times
For me it is!

Old 09-16-2007, 03:55 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,126,632 times
Since marriage is between 2 equal partners, then it's inherently more natural for each partner to not want to share their mate then it is for each partner to want to have an "open" marriage.
Having an open marriage characterized by divided loyalties would then appear to be totally unnatural and chaotic, wouldn't it?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:03 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,328,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calumetman View Post
Some species of birds and mammals mate for life to the point that they die alone if their mate is killed or dies off somehow prematurely, so monogamy in nature exists. So by definition since it occurs within the realm of nature it is natural. With humans it is a question of choice and committment. It is within a values system some hold to some do not. At one time it was thought shameful to have relations outside the marriage. To live together, as early as the 1970s was lude behavior. But human nature proves the more we do a thing the easier it becomes whether it be convenient or not.

I remember going to see Jaws and Natural Born Killers on the big screen. Both times I became physically sick 20 minutes into the movie so horrified and disgusted I was. Today with comparable movies I may occassionally turn my head.

Sexually I'm not obliged mentally to endulge in free sex nor infidelity. When I was single the thought of going to bed with several partners was disgusting to me. I felt cheapened even at the thought of it, though strangely enough there was a certain exhiliration as well, so I know that the capacity is there latent though it may be. Today in a committed relationship even if I encounter someone I'm sexually attracted to the thought of carrying out a trist leaves me with a heart sick feeling I do not care to experience in reality. Conversely I'm comforted and pleased with the familiarity of my significant other and relish in the fact that I have someone to share with who knows me. I have not separated sex and intimacy. My heart is in the expression of my sexuality (thought not just the act of sex) where others can separate the two quite easily. Sex is a mere bodily function for them to be gratified with whomever is available at the time, so committment and companionship do not necessarily include the sex act and vice versa. This mentality is obviously achieved through practice, whether willingly or not. It is a reinterpretation of the values of one's body and that of the other against the traditional mores placed on the American social construct from earliest times. Though it has grown in complexity through the decades with the proliferation of the mulitmedia there persists a general consensus that monogamy remains the most convenient sexual relationship, and the IDEAL of a happy life. It is played out in our books, plays, movies and daily encounters with sufficient regularity for it to be true just from practical observation.
outstanding post, you get some reps...I agree with every word you've written...and can now have nothing to add....

Thank you & hugs
Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships