Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:07 PM

448 posts, read 763,854 times

Advertisements

I'll preface this by saying I do live up to my user name from time to time, especially when I'm bored at the airport.

I was searching online for articles on a compound that is rather esoteric and anyone who knows what it is going to be pretty nerdy. One of the search results was someone that had used this corrosive chemical as their user name for an online dating site. I thought it was as funny as someone using batteryacid69 as their user name. I figured I should make a fake profile as Kandi from two and a half men so I could make some sexual science jokes, as those are always the best. That was plenty of fun on its own.

Now a month later I go to check the fake email that I share with some people who do the same sorts of things. Come to find out over 100 men had replied to a half completed profile with *Kandi* as the profile picture. I thought it was hilarious that many people seriously thought that she was a real person and didn't even read the profile before replying.

Is this really how hilarious online dating is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Many men online pretend to be a woman at some point or another just to see what it's like from the other side. While it may lead you to learn something positive, I have noticed that it ultimately makes them jaded. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
I would consider the perves that you attracted.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Yep. That's what it's like.

I made a blank profile once, just using it to report harassment that had locked me out of my real account. A stock photo off the net and no words at all. Got plenty of mail.

It made me feel like guys who wrote to my real account were as disinterested in compatibility, and I closed the real account.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:21 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
For the most part yes. Some people take it more seriously than others, but mostly it's all about what you look like for both man and woman.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times
Yes, men seem to use the "quantity over quality" approach to online dating. Don't bother reading profiles, just message 200 women - one of them is bound to respond, right? It's really sad, and it's why so many women give up on online dating.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Many men online pretend to be a woman at some point or another just to see what it's like from the other side. While it may lead you to learn something positive, I have noticed that it ultimately makes them jaded. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it.
I've never posed as a woman. What did I miss out on?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
I once posted a profile as a character from the Simpsons without a photo and got tons of messages. Not one referenced the Simpsons at all, but rather wanting to find out more about me. It was pretty funny until I deleted it.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I've never posed as a woman. What did I miss out on?
I have no clue, but for some reason a bunch of men love to do this!

Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
I'll preface this by saying I do live up to my user name from time to time, especially when I'm bored at the airport.

I was searching online for articles on a compound that is rather esoteric and anyone who knows what it is going to be pretty nerdy. One of the search results was someone that had used this corrosive chemical as their user name for an online dating site. I thought it was as funny as someone using batteryacid69 as their user name. I figured I should make a fake profile as Kandi from two and a half men so I could make some sexual science jokes, as those are always the best. That was plenty of fun on its own.

Now a month later I go to check the fake email that I share with some people who do the same sorts of things. Come to find out over 100 men had replied to a half completed profile with *Kandi* as the profile picture. I thought it was hilarious that many people seriously thought that she was a real person and didn't even read the profile before replying.

Is this really how hilarious online dating is?
Yep...at least for the dweebs that create fake profiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships