Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,245,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I thought the OP was defining "desperate" as someone who wants to move quickly from meeting someone online to being in an exclusive relationship with that person. He thinks in real life, you just happen to meet people and get to know them and then possibly start dating and having a relationship. Based on what he's saying, anyone who looks to meet someone for the sole purpose of getting into a relationship is desperate so I'd think that would apply to people looking to find relationships via bars/clubs, speed dating, activity groups, social networks...you name it. Basically if you're looking to meet people and hoping it might turn into a relationship, you're desperate according to the OP.

My personal definition of being desperate is that you're willing to take anyone or greatly lower your standards just to be with someone. Wanting to make a connection or be in a relationship with a person who meets your qualifications isn't desperation to me.
Is it desperate if you realize that your qualifications were way over the top so you adjusted until you actually started getting attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 04:40 AM

97 posts, read 160,375 times
Eh I find that a lot of the guys I've met online are desperate! I'm on a few sites just to meet people/new friends with similar interests, and new men contact me everyday asking me "do you have a pic, can you text me/facebook me". I'm sure there are some normal ones on there as well...maybe posting looking for friends means something else online lol.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:39 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,344,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie71275 View Post
Eh I find that a lot of the guys I've met online are desperate! I'm on a few sites just to meet people/new friends with similar interests, and new men contact me everyday asking me "do you have a pic, can you text me/facebook me". I'm sure there are some normal ones on there as well...maybe posting looking for friends means something else online lol.

why are you on a dating site looking for mere friends ?

being asked for a pic on a dating site is not a sign of desperation , in fact someone who is on a dating site without a pic comes across as highly insecure and lacking confidence

Old 12-24-2013, 10:54 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,300,372 times
And sometimes the pics are just blurry too. Lets not forget, pics online are usually the ones that shine a light on their aspects the most. It's why many women have breast and/or headshots. In my area, I see a lot of profiles that don't have a full body pic, even though it's expected for men to have one.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,862,431 times
Not really. There might be a few but I think for the most part, men think of it as a big joke. They don't bother to read the profiles, they contact you for casual sex when it's clear on your profile that you're not interested. They lie about everything, even stuff that they'll get caught on! They can't even be decent on dates, always texting people and talking about sex with their exes.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 8,803 times
I think so :I'm sure a lot of people would love to have a great story about meeting their boyfriends/girlfriends/husbands/wives, but a lot of times it doesn't work out like that. In the end, what does it matter as long as you meet the right person?

Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 PM

332 posts, read 500,404 times
No. Many people aren't into the bar and club thing. It can be a good way to meet people with similar interests because you can cut through the BS of talking to people that you might not otherwise dedicate any time to. Sure there are some weirdos, but no more than you would find in the aforementioned places.

It's just another way of meeting people.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,560,820 times
I think online dating is filled with married men and women who like pretending they are single. It is a cheaters paradise. People are always on the look out for something new and different. It is easy to lie about your marital status on a dating site. I think most people on dating sites are desperate liars. The few who are not are exceptions. This is just my opinion.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,549,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't see the difference between that and some random guy on the street asking me out.

What is some random guy on the street doing in the middle of the ocean?

Old 01-26-2014, 03:14 AM

25 posts, read 27,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Not really. There might be a few but I think for the most part, men think of it as a big joke. They don't bother to read the profiles, they contact you for casual sex when it's clear on your profile that you're not interested. They lie about everything, even stuff that they'll get caught on! They can't even be decent on dates, always texting people and talking about sex with their exes.
LOL. Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships