Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:14 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,584,282 times

Advertisements

I'm on marriage #3 and definitely believe the old saying "the third time's the charm". My first marriage was with my girlfriend who told me "guess what the doctor told me today?" With her being 16 and me 19, her deputy sheriff daddy wasn't too happy. That lasted 2 years. #2 was with to a pen pal. We had been writing back and forth for several months before meeting in October and marrying in November. I had known after my divorce that I did want to marry again. Was just in my early 20s and wasn't going to stay single. We loved each other and hit it off pretty quick. We talked about marriage soon after having sex the first time, which was also her first time. For years she said she didn't know if I mentioned marriage at that time because I was afraid she was mad at me about the sex. Funny thing is SHE was the one who started talking marriage. Marriage lasted just short of 20 years. When I met my present wife, neither one of us were thinking marriage. I was divorce twice and she was widowed once and divorced once. We were both just looking for friends, somebody to talk to, do things with (yeah that too. lol) But things don't always work out the way you think. We dated 2 years before we married.
I know I dragged this on, but just saying people don't go around thinking "I'm tired of this marriage. I think I'll get a divorce and find somebody else. " Sometimes it just happens. If something should happen to my wife now, I'm 57 and really don't think I'd go for #4. When you're married to the best, who could you find to top it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,405,038 times
I have no idea. My sister is on her 4th, but she has been with him for quite a while now. Maybe he is the one.

My ex husbands mother was married 3x, I think.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,846,872 times
Inability to see one's faults and inability to be alone.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:06 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,905,060 times
Hope springs eternal.

If I were dating again, this would be a huge red flag to me to have already been divorced two or more times.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,662,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I have a friend that's been married three times and you would think they would give up after the third failed marriage but they don't. What are looking for to keep going?
He's likes to be in control without question. He would be called a control freak.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM

52,358 posts, read 52,828,351 times
Yeah, I've often wondered about that myself, I couldn't imagine wanting to go thru 3 or more marriages, I would think at some point, you'd just shack up and call it a day.

I imagine it's probably just older people doing that, it seems like the Gen X crowd and younger don't place quite as much importance on marriage.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,662,635 times
I know someone that has lived with his girlfriend for 40 years and they are very happy.

Last edited by JD59; 11-25-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 03:39 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,221,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wouldn't you think optimism is the person who's about to become spouse #4-5 ?
My dad definitely traded down in our opinion. Wife number 3 is actually a woman on the side in both my mom and dad's marriage and his second marriage. Imagine the look on her face when he had what many thought was a Christmas party and it was an engagement party. Oh, that was priceless.....and it gets better.

My mother and he had built a business together and were in the million dollar bracket. She did not want to take the business and close it down, but she felt as long as he helped us kids get through school, she walked with nothing.

Now wife #2 found out about the side show he had going and he came home that day and she had cleaned him out...everything including the nails in the walls for the pictures. She knew she wasn't going to get snot out of him so she had the house redecorated and then loaded them vans and trucks at 4 in the morning until 1:00 in the afternoon. He called my office and said, I need you to stop over here. I did and when I shut the door it echoed. I took one look around me and thought - this Beosh is my hero. He was sitting on the stairs to the formal living room and I just said, "I can't say you didn't deserve this" and he said, "Yeah, true."

Then the current beosh had her window of opportunity to be the big cheese in society and living in the mansion....she was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, his business was a disaster and he lost it all and had to sell that big house. He was no longer employable and went on retirement with Social Security and she is now the sole supporter of the family and they were forced to move into a very cramped apartment. Awe, miss 'I am high society now' ended up the with all her dreams of mansion living shattered.

In a matter of physical attraction my mother looked great all her life and he progressively started a whole new taste bracket. I said to my brother I have no idea why these women and he said, "She must give good head and that's about it."

Lesson learned - be carful what you wish for - you might actually get it. And optimistic - it wasn't. Dumb as a box of rocks is more like it.

Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
Suckers for punishment. That is all.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,486,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm on marriage #3 and definitely believe the old saying "the third time's the charm".
I'm very happy with wife 2.0, but if the third time's the charm, I can only hope that polygamy becomes legal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships