Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyMan View Post
Like I said before, She's a hottie so I just want to have "fun" with her now. Just like FWB dude did - all fun, no hassle, no wining 'n dining chump **** !
At some point you need to become the bigger man and put an end to it. I think you've made your point, so there's no need to pile it on. I'm not saying you need to end a FWB relationship, you just need to propose it as such. I don't think you want to get a reputation of being a douche bag taking advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,577,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The most perplexing part of this conversation is people thinking you shouldn't be dating or sleeping with other people, but you ARE NOT exclusively dating. What the heck do they think an exclusive dating arrangement is? I mean, if people expect exclusivity and monogamy from dating, fine, good luck with that. If you don't, fine, but don't think you can control the person you're dating if that is the case.
The issue isn't controlling the person. What's done is done. It's being deceived about the person OP thought they were dating.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
The issue isn't controlling the person. What's done is done. It's being deceived about the person OP thought they were dating.

They were dating. What deception?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,805,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
At some point you need to become the bigger man and put an end to it. I think you've made your point, so there's no need to pile it on. I'm not saying you need to end a FWB relationship, you just need to propose it as such. I don't think you want to get a reputation of being a douche bag taking advantage.
I agree.

OP, I commend you for being upfront and directly confronting her with the information.

Now, you need to tell her exactly where she stands and let the chips fall where they may. If she's no longer girlfriend material to you, she needs to know. You can tell her you are willing to still date but you don't see things going much past casual dating anymore. Tell her you no longer see yourself committing to her.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly. BE YOURSELF (root: "you", not "them"). Hopefully "being yourself" doesn't include trying to control what another person does with their body. That isn't really "being yourself", unless who you are is a controlling d*ck naturally (and lots of men and women might be).
Lol. Again, no one is being controlled! The person is just letting it be known what they're looking for, which is exactly what you should do on a date. Are you saying you shouldn't? Once, I went on a date with a girl who said she liked guys with facial hair... I was clean shaven. Was she trying to control me? That b****! So glad I dodged that bullet!

Quote:
I mean, who in the freaking world that is healthy mentally and emotionally goes on a date saying "I like this person, but I better limit what she can do when we're not together right away or she isn't relationship material". Seriously?
No one, because most of us understand that simply telling your date what you prefer isn't forcing or even pressuring them to change. If and when it is misconstrued that way, it isn't the person doing the telling who is mentally or emotionally unhealthy; it's the person being told.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Lol. Again, no one is being controlled! The person is just letting it be known what they're looking for, which is exactly what you should do on a date. Are you saying you shouldn't? Once, I went on a date with a girl who said she liked a guy with facial hair... I was clean shaven. Was she trying to control me? That b****! So glad I dodged that bullet!

Ah, you're changing what was said. It is perfectly ok with saying "I would like a monogamous relationship with the right person when I meet her" and even "I'm looking for an exclusive relationship and I really don't want to date multiple people". That is, of course ok, but that is NOT what was suggested here. It is not ok to say "I expect you not go on a date with anyone else or sleep with anyone else", which is actually what was proposed. Don't change the argument and then cry foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No one, because most of us understand that simply telling your date what you prefer isn't forcing or even pressuring them to change. If and when it is misconstrued that way, it isn't the person doing the telling who is mentally or emotionally unhealthy; it's the person being told.

What you prefer in general and what you're looking for with the right person? or What you prefer in them and how you prefer them to act? Pretty significant difference between those two things. If you don't see the enormous difference between those two scenarios, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
They were dating. What deception?
Op stated that the woman that is the subject of this thread stated "I'm not like that", when apparently she is. That would be the deception.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
Op stated that the woman that is the subject of this thread stated "I'm not like that", when apparently she is. That would be the deception.
Not really. You'd have to want to see it that way. She doesn't jump into bed with someone after a little bit of dating.

A real FWB doesn't have anything to do with that. It would only be deception if it was really a new FB and not a true FWB. If that was the case, yeah, it would be deception.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Not really. You'd have to want to see it that way. She doesn't jump into bed with someone after a little bit of dating.

A real FWB doesn't have anything to do with that. It would only be deception if it was really a new FB and not a true FWB. If that was the case, yeah, it would be deception.
It really doesn't matter at this point, but according to OP she met him after they began dating.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Ah, you're changing what was said. It is perfectly ok with saying "I would like a monogamous relationship with the right person when I meet her" and even "I'm looking for an exclusive relationship and I really don't want to date multiple people". That is, of course ok, but that is NOT what was suggested here. It is not ok to say "I expect you not go on a date with anyone else or sleep with anyone else", which is actually what was proposed. Don't change the argument and then cry foul.
First, the poster was very vague about how they let their expectations be known, so I couldn't possibly have changed the argument. Here is a direct quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
When I start dating someone new I make it clear from the very first date that I expect that person to be exclusive to me. I mean I don't say we should start "going steady" but I do expect their to be no other men in the picture.
And second, neither "I would like a monogamous relationship with the right person when I meet her" nor "I'm looking for an exclusive relationship and I don't want to date multiple people" convey the message, "I don't want to be with someone who's dating or having sex with someone else while I'm dating them, before we're in a relationship". That's why I said I wondered just how the poster went about "making it clear" in the first place. You presumed to know... But you don't.

Quote:
What you prefer in general and what you're looking for with the right person? or What you prefer in them and how you prefer them to act? Pretty significant difference between those two things. If you don't see the enormous difference between those two scenarios, I don't know what to tell you.
Without clarification from the poster, it's impossible to know exactly what they meant. "Expect" does have more than one meaning, after all. I get that you're taking it as a demand on that specific person, but it could just as easily be a matter of preference with which to either continue dating that person or find someone else. I'll tell you again, I expect pretty much the same (minus the dating other guys), because that seems like the normal, default behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships