Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I feel like if someone has to resort to using online dating then their dignity is greatly diminished. It means that a person has a fundamental flaw that inhibits them from properly communicating with the opposite sex in the real world.
You are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Technically, online dating should be the perfect dating vehicle for the masses.

It takes care of looks, by far the most important factor in dating, right at the beginning without the embarrassment and guilt that comes with rejecting people you know in regular life.

It also eliminates the weirdness of having to see people you have rejected or been rejected by again who are in your social circle, especially if they start dating other people you know.

Theoretically, it should be perfect.
Exactly this. Dating doesn't operate in a vacuum like some on this forum unwittingly believe. I results and failures are probably not different than doing it the "socially" way. If ends lead to a good result what does the process in doing it matter.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,811 times
Quote:
I feel like if someone has to resort to using online dating then their dignity is greatly diminished. It means that a person has a fundamental flaw that inhibits them from properly communicating with the opposite sex in the real world.
It also depends on your circumstances. Many years ago I had amazing dating options when I worked for a telecomm company that had way more female employees than where I work now. Now if I was trying to find a connection through work or even my mostly married friends I would be sitting at home alone a lot of nights. Online dating isn't always as bad as the extreme perspectives make it sound. However, I did go through the stigma of feeling bad about online dating, but it's not all bad sir.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:59 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Anyone who uses a service and goes out with someone they know nothing about beyond that, in my opinion. is not very smart and could end up dead or molested.
Yep, because rapists and serial killers haunt online dating site exclusively. I know a lot more about a guy when I meet him in person after connecting online than I do meeting someone just out and about.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Why is it when watching a vehicle in a mirror turning right, the vehicle actually turns right in the reflection while it should turn left in the reflection ?

Please don't try to observe this phenomenon while operating a motor vehicle. Instead, as a passenger, observe it through the side view mirror. It's a physics anomaly. Or not, but if you can explain it to me, I would be grateful.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:

I tried online dating because:

1. In my area are no single tall people that I could meet naturally.
2. All my friends are married and won't drive all the way to LA with me to find a guy there

And yes, it is dangerous to meet a stranger.

Every time I went somewhere for a first date, I let my computer on with the persons profile up. I told a friend where I was meeting this person, his description and phone number and if I don't call her in 1 hour, she should call me. If I don't answer, call the cops.
Plus my pepperspray in my purse ...
But still, of course there is still a chance I turn up dead. I met alot of freaks and i am happy, nothing bad happened so far.I am also relying on rapists and murderers to go for short girls - much easier target as a tall woman.

Last edited by oh-eve; 11-27-2013 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
It’s true! Indeed internet dating sites are replete with serial killers. I’m a serial killer, and I date online. So is my neighbor. So is his wife. They met online, and for their wedding-feast they butchered my other set of neighbors. Now the neighborhood is pleasantly quiet; and the meat was delicious.

We all used to frequent serialkillerdating.com, but that site was overflowing with fat people with poor teeth, so now we’re all on okcupid. Sometimes Cupid’s machinations are fatal. They did, after all, kill Psyche’s two older sisters. But I’m not dumb – I don’t state “serial killer” as my profession. Instead I write “systematic raiser of entropy by artificial means”.

The last time that I had a physical meeting with a woman who I met online, I attempted to murder her. I wanted to use an axe, but was frustrated in my efforts, because the bar where we met had a strict no-axe policy. My state has a conceal-carry axe policy, provided that you take a state-approved axe-wielding class. Unfortunately bar owners these days are zealously squeamish. They’ve started hanging “no axes allowed” signs on all doors.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
This is nuts. If you are looking for someone with rare attributes (child free, certain level of education, member of minor religious sect, etc.) it makes perfect sense to look online so you are looking at people you would actually want to meet, rather than just mingling with the general population, most of whom would not be who you want to meet anyway. Make sense?

Old 11-27-2013, 02:30 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
Quote:
Have you ever written anything positive on this site?

Old 11-27-2013, 03:05 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,853 times
Quote:
I would agree with this statement if it was applied to the socially defunct people I met using Meetup.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships