Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's not an ethical way to meet women unless you're actually interested in being a member of those groups. Joining a group just to meet women is schemey. Presuming she's a member because she's truly interested in the group, you've already entered the relationship on a lie from the very beginning.
I think it's safe to assume that Ruth was referring to joining groups one is actually interested in, not just any random group. It's a good way to meet people with whom you have something in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I think it's safe to assume that Ruth was referring to joining groups one is actually interested in, not just any random group. It's a good way to meet people with whom you have something in common.
Well, if one was interested in doing that, one would have already done that.

Online dating is a way to meet people who are already interested in what one is already interested in.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Well, if one was interested in doing that, one would have already done that.

Have you already done everything on earth that you're even remotely interested in doing? If so, kudos, though I'm not sure what you'll do with the rest of your life now. Most of us evolve new interests as we go through life. Also, most of us have a limited amount of free time, and therefore have to prioritize our interests, because we can't pursue all of them. It makes no sense to assume that someone has already done something just because they're interested in it.

Quote:
Online dating is a way to meet people who are already interested in what one is already interested in.
I agree. It's one way. Joining groups is another way.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Have you already done everything on earth that you're even remotely interested in doing? If so, kudos, though I'm not sure what you'll do with the rest of your life now. Most of us evolve new interests as we go through life.
But I would not feign interest in order to meet women. What I gain interest in, is not with regard to meeting women.

Quote:
Also, most of us have a limited amount of free time, and therefore have to prioritize our interests.
That would a good reason why one would use a dating service to meet women who have the same interests.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
But I would not feign interest in order to meet women.
Nor should you. Nobody is suggesting that. That was my point.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
That's not an ethical way to meet women unless you're actually interested in being a member of those groups. Joining a group just to meet women is schemey. Presuming she's a member because she's truly interested in the group, you've already entered the relationship on a lie from the very beginning.
You're assuming, for some reason, that people would join groups they have no inherent interest in.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:56 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I feel like if someone has to resort to using online dating then their dignity is greatly diminished. It means that a person has a fundamental flaw that inhibits them from properly communicating with the opposite sex in the real world.
Given the fact that somewhere between 20% and 50% of relationships now begin with online interactions (depending on whose estimates you believe), that seems unlikely.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:07 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
Where/how am I supposed to meet childfree men, if not online?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're assuming, for some reason, that people would join groups they have no inherent interest in.

The suggestion was to join groups for the purpose of meeting women.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
The next time I see bson post something positive about himself or in general...will be the first time.

Online dating is just another avenue of many for someone to find people to date...IRL, BTW. It has its pros and its cons.
Pro: It's not unlike a marketplace - many potential choices out there to evaluate and screen.
Con: It seems to have a higher concentration of people who seem a bit socially awkward compared to a typical cross-section of people you notice or know while out and about.

There are other positives and negatives. It is not for everyone (neither is the bar, gym, salsa dance class, Meetup, whatever in terms of meeting people to possibly date). But on the other hand, unless you know for certain it's not for you...why limit your possibilities.

One's dignity or lack thereof shouldn't even matter here. Your dignity is ultimately up to you. Dating sites are just tools...a means to an end (meeting people offline and perhaps more) that works out well and convenient for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships