Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

I know several my age (30s).
And many women who want to be.
And I know 2 SAHDs.

And everyone has a bachelor's degree if not more (my wife has an MBA).

Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Well, I can't say I disagree with the article. It basically says if a woman wants to raise a family, she needs the father to help. Same as if a father wants to raise a family, he needs the mother to help. Pretty much the family dynamic for humans for quite a long time. Usually the father and mother are in love and are in on the whole family thing together--as in they decide to have a family together and help each other out. Maybe you can get by without one or the other... people do. Some people mess up and are single parents. And sometimes if you have an abusive, dead-weight, or otherwise "bad" parent maybe it's ideal to have just one. But for the most part, it's not ideal.

I am not really sure what the point is of the article since most people pretty much agree that to have a family, two parents are ideal. It's not really breaking news except in dysfunctional relationships or people who can't fathom a good family dynamic.
I also agree with the article and with you. Maybe there are some uber-independent women out there who feel insulted by the implication that they would need a man to feel complete. But in a family scenario it is the family unit itself that the presence of a man completes, rather than the woman or wife as a person, particularly.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:02 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Over the past several decades, America has witnessed a profound change in the way women view men and marriage. It began with the baby boomer adage “never depend on a man.”

This message resulted in a generation of women who turned their attention away from the home and onto the workforce. They did what their mothers told them to do: they became financially independent so they’d never have to rely on a husband.

Why women still need husbands | Fox News
The article is basically correct.

It agrees with what I've generally observed about how families function. (I did say generally - as in the majority of cases. Not in all cases.)

Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
i agree with her. my generation has gotten a lot of mixed messages in this area. on the one hand i'm pushed to go to college, get a good job, and advance in my career path. on the other hand my parents and grandparents are pressuring me to have a family and i do want that, too. i was very ambitious school and career wise at 20 but now at 26 i'd rather focus on building a household and family. i'm not sure how biologically vs. socially driven my mindset change is, but it is definitely happening. i just don't care about career advancement the way i used to. i also find myself way more interested in cleaning, decorating, gardening, cooking, and spending time with family than i used to be. in my last relationship i was both the breadwinner and the one who did everything around the house and i found it very frustrating. it is comforting to be able to rely on someone else a bit...that is what relationships are for after all, especially once kids get involved.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Some of you missed my point. Women will say, they don't need husbands. True, but in most cases, once they have children they need someone to pay the bills and help support them, because they can't earn enough money to pay all the bills and child care also. So they end up depending on the govt. and working people, men and women, to support them. They have in essence replace the men from their traditional role and defaulted to the govt./taxpayers. Its unfair for the taxpayers to be force to pay for her "freedom and choices" Not only that, but the child, her offspring certainly do need and will do much better with a father in the home to help raise them. So saying "women don't need husbands", but in most cases especially with children involved, yes they do. Our society better get over the attitude the that whole society should be focused on "women being happy", to the detriment of everyone else, or a complete collapse will be in the near future.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Some of you missed my point. Women will say, they don't need husbands. True, but in most cases, once they have children they need someone to pay the bills and help support them, because they can't earn enough money to pay all the bills and child care also. So they end up depending on the govt. and working people, men and women, to support them. They have in essence replace the men from their traditional role and defaulted to the govt./taxpayers. Its unfair for the taxpayers to be force to pay for her "freedom and choices" Not only that, but the child, her offspring certainly do need and will do much better with a father in the home to help raise them. So saying "women don't need husbands", but in most cases especially with children involved, yes they do. Our society better get over the attitude the that whole society should be focused on "women being happy", to the detriment of everyone else, or a complete collapse will be in the near future.
Men have defaulted as well by expecting the tax payer to support their kids. Men need to grow the hell up already. Blaming one gender is moronic.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
And no matter where the money comes from someone still needs to kill the spiders.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And no matter where the money comes from someone still needs to kill the spiders.
Capture the spiders and take them outside. Yes, that person is needed.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
BS. Women can and do earn enough to pay bills and support themselves and their children. Of course it makes live more difficult if you are the sole bread winner on top of everything else. You like to assume all single mothers were never married or in a relationship, never worked and are on welfare.

The majority of women have children AFTER they marry or establish a LTR. Of course they would prefer the child's father to help support the family.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:26 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You complete me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships